TOPOGRAPHIC MAPPING SOFTWARE

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:16
ThreadID: 29331 Views:1740 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me whether the new topo map software will work in my Magellan Meridian GPS?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:52
Yes it will.

I'm not sure if it is available on CD yet. Have a look at Next Destination's web site for more details.
AnswerID: 146406

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:09

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:09
As with Pluto I am not sure software is yet available ie I think maps are cuurently sold pre-installed on SD card only...software to be release some time in future.

Keep in mind that there are different map formats for meridian and eXplorist ...so if you're buying "second hand" maps on SD card make sure it is the Meridian version.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 146419

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:01

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:01
Magellan have been very slack in "releasing" the topo map software on DVD format and I would question if they will ever do so.

I discussed the issue with a Rep at the 4WD Show in Adelaide last November and he had no information on a release date. So at present the software is only available on the SD card. This means you can load it into the Magellan GPS, but CANNOT load it onto a Laptop or PC. Therefore only limited functionality is currently provided.

I have both DiscoverAus and Australia's Desert Tracks loaded on both the GPS and Laptop but since buying OziExplorer, I hardly use anything else.
DiscoverAus and AGD Tracks loaded on the GPS does give more detail than the preloaded Base software and this is good for "stand-alone" GPS applications.

But if you don't mind having a Laptop in the vehicle (or a PDA) the extra advantages of OziExplorer with its moving map feature, when coupled with good maps such as NATMAP Raster Premium, leaves everything else for dead, IMO.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 146532

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:40

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:40
Quote from the explorist traveller pack on NextDest web page!

Qoute: [.........eXplorist 500 GPS receiver · DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks Topo maps with optional 512 MB preloaded SD card package or CD & blank SD card package · Swivel Mount Bracket ·.........]

So you get the option of a preloaded Sd card or the CD and a blank SD card!

Well give me a CD and blank SD card any day!

??
FollowupID: 400382

Sponsored Links