Dust in GU Patrol

Submitted: Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 13:53
ThreadID: 2937 Views:3143 Replies:10 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
We have a GU Patrol which takes in a lot of dust through the rear door. Only have to drop a wheel in the gravel to smell the dust coming in. We have heard the GU's are known for this and just wondering if any others out there have had similar problems and what (if any) the fix is.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve Mc - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:05

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:05
Melissa, No-1 check the rear door catches, first open the small door & grab the large door & give it a shake if there is a bit of movement adjust the top & bottom catches in a tad this will bring the rubbers in a bit closer. No-2 On dirt roads, providing you are not closely following someone, open the vent and turn the fan on ,as this pressurises the cabin and does wonders to keep the dust out .If it gets to hot just press the a/c button ,on still leave the vent open same goes when it gets cold.
You will notice with the vent open the amount of air coming out of the vents will drop just turn the fan up a bit .My wife doesn't like the vents blowing on her all the time so I just blow the air up on the windscreen we have had several patrols all with the same problem GUs are a bit better than GQs . Also dealer fitted updated rear door seal kits don't make much difference either . Let us know how you get on
Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 11181

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:12

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:12
Thanks Steve! Usually travel with the AC on but on circulate rather than fresh so will try your method. I'm like your wife, don't like vents blowing on me. I think you could be right about adjusting the door latches...without checking I'm pretty sure this is some movement.

We had heard the rear door seals where updated but probably not worth the $ if it doesn't make much difference.

Thanks again.

FollowupID: 6128

Follow Up By: Allyn - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 19:26

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 19:26
Melissa,
make sure that you remember to go back to circulate once off the gravel as fresh makes the a/c work harder and uses a tad more juice. Fresh is also no good when following in someone's dust cloud but it does make a difference otherwise
FollowupID: 6447

Reply By: Gordon - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:13

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:13
Melissa, I can't speak about the GU Patrol becasue I have a 80 Series Cruiser. One day, after driving from Alice Springs to Boulia, I came across a guy who had done the same in his identical 80 Series. His truck was full of dust and mine was clean. He was a bit of a know-all but couldn't understand what had happened. If he'd asked nicely I would have told him the trick is to keep a positive pressure in the cabin. This means never putting the ventilation on Recirculation except momentarily when overtaking and passing other vehicles. Drawing clean air in through the front vents (with or without the fan running) creates a positive pressure so there is no vaccuum at the back of the vehicle to suck in dust. Apart from leaking door seals all vehicles have rear vents which will suck in dust if you travel without allowing fresh air in through your ventilation system. If your problem persists then your door seals must be REALLY bad. I hope this helps.
AnswerID: 11182

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:19

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:19
This sort of info is what makes this site so good - never knew or heard mention of the positive pressure thing - will test it out and will hopefully spend considerably less time cleaning the interior when I get home from the next trip - Thanks guys
FollowupID: 6129

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:22

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:22
Thanks Gordon. GU is our 4th 4WD but first one we've had dust problems with. First 2 had no AC so always had windows down. Must have just been lucky with the Paj.

FollowupID: 6130

Follow Up By: Phil - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:53

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:53
My experience with various cars is that opening the front windows creates a low pressure in the cabin and actually sucks in dust from everywhere!
I think this is because there is a low pressure area just behind the front pillars. Opening the window on the rear door seems to have the opposite effect so is preferred if you need outside air in quantity.
FollowupID: 6135

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:58

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 15:58
Hi Phil,

Yes you are right about the front windows and dust. That's what I was trying to say...we had to have the windows down so we just accepted the dust as the trade off.

FollowupID: 6136

Reply By: diamond - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 18:20

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 18:20
hi melissa i remember reading either here or overlander forum about the same thing and a lot of people were talking about a visor type set up for the back door something like the visor you put on your front door windows to keep the wind out hope this helps
AnswerID: 11202

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:25

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:25
Hi Melissa
The A/C will greatly help with keeping the dust out, Monash Uni Melbourne did a study and you should only use the A/C or Heating on recycled air for max 20 minutes, studies show it can lead to drowsiness. There are dust reflectors for the back of the Nissan that also helps
Ray
Congrats on the new camper
AnswerID: 11222

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:06

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 21:06
Thanks Ray, we are stoked with the new camper. A big step up from the old one!

FollowupID: 6171

Reply By: Rick - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 21:37
Miff,

We bought our GU new about June 1998. The dust issue was more "prevalent" then, and the dealer fitted a relacement seal at no cost about 6 or 9 months after purchase. It fixed the problem for us. Can you try this approach? i.e. did you buy a new vehicle, & is it in warranty still? Try the patrol site with your Q. I also seem to remember this topic from some time back, and that several owners have had success with spacer washers on the bottom catch of the barn door.

The solution appears to be to alter the air flow over the top of the vehicle. This seems to seriously minimise the amount of dirt/dust that hangs immediately at the rear when travelling. Our roof rack, even when empty, does this.

I agree with the pressure approach. I note on another thread that you usually don't use a roof rack. If this is so, I suggest you fit a rear dust spoiler. This will help heaps...from memory the Nissan one is $ 120 approx. Easy for you or Greg(?? I forget his name right now) to fit.

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 11305

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 23:18

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 23:18
Thanks Rick, plenty to think about. No problem for Greg to fit a rear dust spoiler.

PS: I haven't forgotten I owe you an email...getting to it :-))
FollowupID: 6239

Reply By: mich - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:46

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:46
hi melissa,

simple dont travel on dusty road,
{ so easy}
our friend has the same problem with his gu patrol

our local nissan dealer told us when we were looking at gu that you can purchase a dust pak from them as this is not standard on there 4x4.

so we brought a new pajero desiel

hope this helps
AnswerID: 11320

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 13:05

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 13:05
Thanks Mich! How'se the new Pajero for dust? We never had a problem with our NH Paj.
FollowupID: 6259

Reply By: mich - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 17:55
hi melissa,

we have a manual glx 3.2l DI-D PAJERO, WHAT A CAR!!!
GOES LIKE THE CLAPPERS, SMOOTH AS A BABYS BUM
CHEAP AS CHIPS TO RUN TOOK UP THE HIGH COUNTRY WHEN WE PICKED IT UP. TOOK IT ON SEVERAL VERY DRY AND DUSTY TRACKS AND LIKE TRUE MITSUBISHI WORKMANSHIP KEEPS THE DUST OUT LIKE THE NL BEFORE NO RATTLESS AND WE DIDNT HAVE THE VENTS CLOSED I LIKE FRESH AIR COMING IN EXCEPT WHEN SOME ONE IS COMING TOWARDS YOU THEN I CLOSE THEM TILL THE DUST SETTLES.

HAPPY TRAVELS
MICH
AnswerID: 11341

Reply By: Bonz - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:41

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:41
Melissa.

we had the same problem in our GU going thru Pooncarie to Menindee three times and back. Took the Patrol back to the dealer and they adjusted the rear doors for nothing. This reduced it heaps but still got a little in, then a friend with a GU told me to use petroleum jelly on the seals where they contact the body and VIOLA! no more dust!

Also agree with the fresh air deal with the aircon, it also helps heaps

Good luck, the GU is worth the dust problem

:0) Bonz
AnswerID: 11517

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 23:21

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 23:21
Hi Bonz,

The petroleum jelly sounds like an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind if the a/c on fresh and adjusted back doors don't do the trick.

Just got back from a weekend away and running a/c on fresh definately helped. Also checked the rear doors and found a bit of movement so we will adjust these too (actually we bought a warranty with the car so might even ask the dealer to fix the doors next time we take it in for servicing).

Thanks heaps.

FollowupID: 6466

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 13:27

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 13:27
I think there is a fix for it, different door seals from other model GU..

cant remember but that was the chat on the list around 12 months ago about it.
AnswerID: 11519

Follow Up By: Bonz - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:31

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:31
Michelle,

The door seals on the GUII have solved the dust sealing problem as I read in a test, even without petroleum jelly, however I dont know if you cane fit them to a earlier GU?

Regards

Bonz :0)
FollowupID: 6536

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:17

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:17
First thing, tape up the flow through vents either side of the back window, then check the doors for the seal and tightness, keep your vent on 'fresh' NOT recycle, if you have a 'wind deflector' on the window it acts like a vacume cleaner

cheers Jol
AnswerID: 11603

Sponsored Links