Luritja Road (Kings Canyon area) to Lasseter Highway (near Curtin Springs) Track

Submitted: Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:42
ThreadID: 29401 Views:2671 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
There is a pretty reasonable track that runs from the Luritja Road - not far from the Kings Canyon entry road through what I think is old part of Angas Downs station (but not sure) ...

The country is Desert Oaks country mostly with an old homestead (Liddle I think), a few old cattle yards etc.

I can't see it on any of the maps I have and was hoping someone may be able to give me some better pointers - I know the entry and exit points aren't that easy to see.

I have done the trip - it was about 5 or 6 hours from memory but really interesting, and except for a few washaways, pretty trafficable.

I plan on trying to find it on Tuesday 10th (perhaps Wed) - anyone got any info to help, or want to join me?

Ciao for now
Andrew who thinks he should pay more attention to details he might want in the future
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Original Banjo (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 16:54

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 16:54
Folks in the Alice Springs 4WD club would know - one of them took a "short cut" from Kings C down to Yulara area awhile back far as I recall - saw it mentioned here. I don't have a direct contact for that club - they may be listed in the NT phone pages. How extreme do you like your temperatures ?
AnswerID: 146829

Reply By: Member - Tim F (NT) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:33

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:33
G'Day Andrew,

Not really sure what track you are talking about, but I was a tour guide in that area for a couple of years, and we used to use a private station track which went from Kings Creek Station down to the back of Curtain Springs. It would take about 5 to 6 hours in a landcruiser with 9 backpackers towing a trailer!! However, the use of the track was strickly monitored by the owners of Kings Creek Station, and I would doubt that you have any chance of getting their permission to use it as they were bloody nazi's!!! But they may have changed their ways by now. By the way navigating the track can be tricky, and overgrown in sections.

hope this helps a bit?????

regards tim.
AnswerID: 146964

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:48

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:48
Hi Tim.

Yes - this would be the track for sure, but I didn't realise that King's Creek Station owned all that area - I though it was Aboriginal Land.

Did the track have some yards with a distinctive long stock watering trough made of red stone sheets?, and ruins of an old homestead?

Sounds like the track - certainly in terms of where it goes and what it was like.

There were a few tricky washaways and really deep wheel-rutts, and some quite sandy stretches, but nothing too dramatic.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 400433

Reply By: Hairy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:00

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:00
Gday Andrew,
The easiest way would be to ring Ian or Lyn Conway at Kings Creek Station and ask them before you get there on (08) 8956 7474
Cheers
AnswerID: 146982

Sponsored Links