Uniden Grant XL CB radio

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:59
ThreadID: 29478 Views:5725 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My son inlaw gave me a CB radio, the one mentioned above. Only problem is that there was no microphone, power cable, etc. just the radio.

I went to Dick Smiths today and bought a power supply lead, but was unable to buy a speaker/microphone as it has a 5 pin jack, as opposed to a 4, (even though it seems that most microphones now have two jacks, one for speaker and one for mic)

My question is: Are there any radio tech electronics persons out there that can say whether it is possible to fit another socket to the radio, (the 4 pin is quite common), and rewire another speaker/mic? I down loaded the owners manual from Unden but it does not have any specific specifiations for the speaker/mic.

is it still possible to get parts for this radio?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:08

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:08
If its a CB radio (27Mhz), there may be a reason he gave it to you. No-one uses them anymore (well hardly any one).

If its a UHF then it may be worth messing around with. In either case, most electronics repair place should be able to tell you what can be done.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 147230

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:29

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:29
I went through this new microphone problem a while ago. Finally found someone who would wire one up (International Amatuer Radio Club in Roseville, Sydney) for me then I called into the authorised dealer ad foud it was cheaper to buy a new origional mic than get one created. The Uniden site lists the authorised dealers. Might be worth giving them a try??
AnswerID: 147239

Reply By: Original Banjo (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:00

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:00
The Grant has good raps from memory - just checked a site - yep - quality machine - 4W on AM and 12W on SSB - precursor to my PC122XL it seems - old model now but might still work well - there are a few regular 27 meg CB'ers in Oz - you can hear them jabbering away most mornings on 35 lower side band - if it was me, I'd look for a CB club and drop round if possible - someone there will have the old fashioned goods to plug straight in and give it a run - you could be chasing bits for a dud otherwise. Professional levels repairs would be ouit IMO - $ on a unit that will see little use probably. Re actual use - my 27 Meg CB is just for backup, in case the chips are down and the long distance HF packs up - with a 5 foot wound antenna (10 feet of wire) you can get a very long way on sideband at times.
AnswerID: 147255

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:44

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:44
You may be able to pick up a cheap AM set with the required mike off Ebay.

Most AM sets going for less the $20

Regards

Rolande
AnswerID: 147272

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:28

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:28
Hey Flyology, You can talk to me on that 27meg unit,,,,,,,, i have the other unit.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 147286

Sponsored Links