Uniden Grant XL CB radio

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:59
ThreadID: 29478 Views:5124 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My son inlaw gave me a CB radio, the one mentioned above. Only problem is that there was no microphone, power cable, etc. just the radio.

I went to Dick Smiths today and bought a power supply lead, but was unable to buy a speaker/microphone as it has a 5 pin jack, as opposed to a 4, (even though it seems that most microphones now have two jacks, one for speaker and one for mic)

My question is: Are there any radio tech electronics persons out there that can say whether it is possible to fit another socket to the radio, (the 4 pin is quite common), and rewire another speaker/mic? I down loaded the owners manual from Unden but it does not have any specific specifiations for the speaker/mic.

is it still possible to get parts for this radio?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:08

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:08
If its a CB radio (27Mhz), there may be a reason he gave it to you. No-one uses them anymore (well hardly any one).

If its a UHF then it may be worth messing around with. In either case, most electronics repair place should be able to tell you what can be done.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 147230

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:29

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:29
I went through this new microphone problem a while ago. Finally found someone who would wire one up (International Amatuer Radio Club in Roseville, Sydney) for me then I called into the authorised dealer ad foud it was cheaper to buy a new origional mic than get one created. The Uniden site lists the authorised dealers. Might be worth giving them a try??
AnswerID: 147239

Reply By: Original Banjo (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:00

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:00
The Grant has good raps from memory - just checked a site - yep - quality machine - 4W on AM and 12W on SSB - precursor to my PC122XL it seems - old model now but might still work well - there are a few regular 27 meg CB'ers in Oz - you can hear them jabbering away most mornings on 35 lower side band - if it was me, I'd look for a CB club and drop round if possible - someone there will have the old fashioned goods to plug straight in and give it a run - you could be chasing bits for a dud otherwise. Professional levels repairs would be ouit IMO - $ on a unit that will see little use probably. Re actual use - my 27 Meg CB is just for backup, in case the chips are down and the long distance HF packs up - with a 5 foot wound antenna (10 feet of wire) you can get a very long way on sideband at times.
AnswerID: 147255

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:44

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:44
You may be able to pick up a cheap AM set with the required mike off Ebay.

Most AM sets going for less the $20

Regards

Rolande
AnswerID: 147272

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:28

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:28
Hey Flyology, You can talk to me on that 27meg unit,,,,,,,, i have the other unit.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147286

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)