Lilliput TFT LCD Screens

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:33
ThreadID: 29572 Views:3790 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Has anyone brought a lilliput screen for in-car use off ebay or elsewhere? The prices are good even if you get slugged import duty/gst. What are the like? Just wanting to hear of anyones experiences good or bad.

Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:53

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:53
I have one and I'm reasonably happy with it. Mine is set up as a rearvision replacement and the cables to connect it to the lappy is cluttered. The stem where it is fixed to the vehicle is only plastic and it didn't survive the corrugations on the Gunbarrel last year. The resolution is excellent and it doubles as a DVD screen if you wanted it to.
I paid about $240 around a year ago on Ebay. Don't know how much now.
AnswerID: 147828

Follow Up By: WillyWish - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:52
Hey Des, thanks for the info. I was wondering how you power it and hows the brightness in the daytime?

Cheers, Will.
FollowupID: 401169

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:10

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:10
I thought it was $20? ;)

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 401176

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 23:37

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 23:37
Glenn SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH she still believes it.

Will, Brightness during the day is fine. It requires power which I use this fandangled attachment that has a power lead on it which connects to the 12v system through a plug that I wired in.
FollowupID: 401235

Reply By: L33nsta - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:15
goto

http://www.bitdistribution.com.au/

They sell them and are Australian Based, Melbourne. My dad has one in his 100 series Landcruiser and is very happy with it. He uses Oziexplorer on it.

He also got there small pc with it as well. Found it easier to secure the pc rather than a laptop (stop it from moving around).

The only problem with the pc is that once the car engine is stopped the computer was shutting down after 5 or 10 mins as the car battery voltage was falling below 12v.

He got a 12v regulated output power supply and its good so far.
AnswerID: 147833

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:59

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:59
I run an 8inch Lilliput LCD and the car computor available from bt distribution. I use it for ozexplorer and moving mapping. I'm reasonably happy with the resolution and it does all that I require of it. Picture quality is acceptable when viewing DVD's in the car too. However, as soon as an in-dash unit that will accept input from the computor, ie RGB signal, then I will probably change over to that, just to have a more compact, fold away screen.Did some mapping for Hema maps last year, across the Gibson, no trouble with the LCD in rough going.
AnswerID: 147860

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:19

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:19
Got mine off eBay - haven't got the whole set up fully operational yet. Wireless cameras from a different eBay stockist (both Hong Kong). You don't get hit with GST. My husband lost the instruction manual, so i emailed 2 places that came up on a google search for Lilliput - the first emailed a scanned version of the manual in English as requested. The other site (i think Lilliput itself) seem very interested in my feedback on their product. They also sent me a few pages of instructions and would have sent more only i said i had already got the manual. Good back up from Lilliput.

We had a problem with the voltage regulator that came with the monitor, and it proved to be faulty. The Hong Kong eBay shop was quick to reply to my queries, but went quiet when i told them the regulator was faulty and i want another on sent to me.

The camera people also got straight back to me with answers to my queries (on a Sunday too)

We needed to purchase Dick Smith DIY regulator kits, as all components need regulators to ensure power doesn't go too high (as it will if straight from the car battery). Whole set up not fully fixed yet. It blew the fuse in the cig. light plug (which went to a multi plug for all the appliances. Also picture kept dropping out
(like interference).
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 147870

Follow Up By: WillyWish - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:56

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:56
Hi Motherhen, thanks for the response. So you had to buy a regulator kit because the screens build in one died or you have to anyway? I want to setup one along with a laptop/or small form factor pc and run oziexplorer. At the moment power supply for both the pc and the screen are my main concerns.....Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Will.
FollowupID: 401171

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 22:49
Hi Will - The cameras came from a different Ebayer and did not have regulators. Two cameras and one receiver, all needing a regulator. Voltage to these must not exceed 12 volts, and the car battery can go up to 14 or so when driving.

The regulator that came with the monitor was a separate fitting, and although it appeared to work when read with a multi meter, we had it tested by an electronics technician who found it to be faulty. The monitor was not lighting up in the car, but did so in the house with the mains power regulator which also came with the set, so we knew it was not the monitor. It now works on a Dick Smith DIY regulator (proved a bit fiddly to make up and a steep learning curve for my husband).

As these products are built to be used in buildings for security, all components from both stockists came with mains power adapters (even though the one with the monitor had a "Chinese" power plug - luckily i had an adaption from another eBay appliance.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 401212

Reply By: wresat - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:06

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:06
Have one sitting on the kitchen table at the minute, 7” lilliput touchscreen. Spent a good two hours trying to get the dam thing to work in VGA mode. Eventually found the small 9 pin round connector that joins the two cables together faulty. Have just emailed the guy, from Ebay in Hong Kong for an exchange. Will wait and see what happens now. External looks of the unit are to my liking, if only I can get a reliably picture.
AnswerID: 147926

Reply By: Member - Garth (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:47

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:47
I have one, bought from ebay, $240. Arrived in 4 days. Works fine. As it takes multiple inputs I have a rear view camera from Jaycar plugged into it. There are different screen sizes and some have touchscreen options.
regards
Garth
AnswerID: 147931

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:06

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:06
Willy

I have one the same as D-Lexic above.

Looks S H I T hot and a bit, easy to install and activates on power up.

However:

(1) Resolution is p i s s pore (excacerbated exponentially when you have to wear glasses for the closs up stuff)

(2) When the sun is out and about there isn't too much to look at. Just 'white-lights' the picture out, so that it is virtually useless.

(3) Resolution when playing a DVD at night is JUST alright though.

(4) Shake like Chit on corrugations, however mine hasn't snapped off.

Conclusion.

Removed it for good two days ago.

Now sitting a box.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 147934

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:09

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:09
Ken, can't you adjust the brightness to make it more visible in bright light?

The lady at Lilliput in China who got back to me was keen to know how it performed in the car, and seems keen to get feedback - perhaps you should let them know.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 401290

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:15

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:15
Yes you I could and did adjust the brightness and contrast, however all it did was was white/bright the screen out one way and darken it the other.

Once the the sun started to lose its effect for the day or I was under shade it was ok.

I wasn't too keen on the resolution either despite what Des Lexic says. Mine is the exact same as his ($25) however he is younger than me so his eyesight may be better.

Now I haven't given up on this . In fact I finished the main part of the install/fitting of O/head drop down screen last night, in place of the other one.

It has an 8in screen with swivel mount that will take DVD's from laptop output as well as moving maps.

Once I hook it up to the laptop and road test it I'll let you know how it went.

Oh! also has TV tuner in it which worked ok in a a bench test.

FollowupID: 401381

Reply By: Morgan VIC - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 04:21

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 04:21
Had one and removed it due to light conditions and shaking. Bought HP Ipaq HX2490 last month and Bluetooth GPS and proper mount for Ipaq. The Ipaq can be seen in all light, does not shake the shirts and can be read easily as the resolution is good.
If you only want to run mapping feel the Ipaq is overall a much better solution and importantly a safer solution.
AnswerID: 147947

Reply By: Member - t0me (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:29

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:29
I was speaking to a car sterio shop owner who claims he has had hundreds of lilliput's returned after carking it, they aren't built for being in a car and aren't built that strong. He recommended another brand which is purpose built for the car. It was, of course, more expensive. However mp3car.com also recommends them which is a good recommendation considering.

The brand is Xenarc ahd fur sure the image they produce looks much much crisper than the lilliput does (looked at them both side by side). Its built tough too.
It might be more expensive, but I think its worth a look. mp3car.com is also a really good source if you're looking for info about this sort of thing.
AnswerID: 147997

Reply By: revhead307 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:38

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:38
Gday

I just bought a SUPER 8" screen off ebay arrived today :-)

the lilliputs are a more recognised brand...but this was $150 inc postage...so i couldnt complain.

has VGA input, and im going to plug it into a roofrack mounted TV antenna...and run it as a laptop screen with mapping when i eventually get organised.

want to go home and try it out lol..guess i'll have to wait til lunch time.

will let you know what its like.

Rev

AnswerID: 147998

Reply By: revhead307 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:53

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:53
OK,

curiosity got the better of me...and working in a small remote WA town (130ppl) i only live 50m from work.

I took the SUPER 8" home, they had supplied the wrong chinese to 240V adaptor plug, but luckily i like electronics and had a correct one in my box of bits.

the extendable antenna is useless but managed to tune in the stations (no colour bad picture fade in and out etc), however when plugged into home antenna, good colour and strong picture. 8/10 clarity compared to our TV which will be excellent for the car.

in the Patrol im installing an omnidirectional caravan antenna on the roofrack for good reception.

Will connect it to laptop at lunch a few hrs and report back.

Rev
AnswerID: 148017

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:20

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:20
I bought my 7" Touch Screen from JayCar. Has both VGA and Camera inputs and can swap between the two at the press of a switch.

Power is via a 12v plug that connects to the ciggy socket.

Simple and hassle free to set up and no problems with compatibility.

I prefer the "local" support and warranty available from an Australian distributor, even though they may be a little more expensive.

Cost was $549.00 GST inclusive.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 148073

Reply By: WillyWish - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:31

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:31
Thanks for all your responses. Still not sure what to do as people seem pretty divided in their opinions. I've noticed Jaycars prices on these screens dropping rapidly lately so i think I'll hold off a bit and then maybe get one there. At least then I'll have a local contact for warranty issues.

Cheers All,
Will.
AnswerID: 148265

Sponsored Links