Eyre Peninsula - Travel Advice Requested

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:25
ThreadID: 29576 Views:2739 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.

My wife and I are taking a leisurely (read = no time limits) drive Sydney to Perth and we thought taking a run through the Eyre Peninsula along the way could be interesting.

I have managed to gather up some info off the net, but thought I would ask here from those that have been there for their advice, recommendations, "must see", "don't do's" etc.

I am not a committed fisherman, but don't mind throwing in a line on occasions.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:33
Jack

I am also interested in answers to this as myself and my family will be travelling from Perth to Melb and spending about a week on the Eyre Peninsula.
AnswerID: 147837

Reply By: Darian (formerly Banjo) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:06

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:06
IMO, virtually all of the coastal towns on EP have a lot of natural attractions - lovely coast drives, beaches for walking, great fishing (better, the more remote area). We are happier away from the "milling throngs", so Lincoln and Coffin Bay are less attractive to us. The Nat. Parks near Port Lincoln, Elliston are all great (plus the places in between too). I love fishing so Fowlers Bay is my pick - about 1000k from Adelaide but its worth the trip - not really a town - more a settlement - very limited services but the sandhills and beaches are tops. Not a bad C park (of sorts). Its only a 90 minute drive from there up to the head of the bight to see the whales (if you are there in season - this year was a beauty - whale city. Have a good 'un.
AnswerID: 147843

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:17

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:17
Fishing:
Locks Wells: most reliable spot for big salmon in Australia- Honourable mention to Mt camel (Dolphins beach) just as good but the salmon are smaller
You caught what off the beach ??!!??- Talia beach, you never know what is going to take your line next - i have caught decent gummys, Huge Snapper as well as salmon.
Rock fishing platforms - Excellent rock fishing to be had between Elliston and anxios bay. Also the Ledge near the Washtub at Talia (could be sighnposted now but you used to have to know where to look)
Mixed bag - The Pt Westall drive near Streaky bay goes past places like speeds point and Smooth pool as well as other fishy headlands and beaches where Tommies Trevally and leatherjackets that you can catch on 4.0 ganged hooks.

Just passing through? - Little town of Wudinna has granite outcrops nearby well worth checking out such as Mt Wudinna, Uconditchi Pygery rock and turltle rock. Nth from Pygery will take you to the gawler ranges

Near Pt Lincoln? whalers way coastal drive and Sleaford bay are good spots as is coffins bay and a bit further north Mt Greenly and Greenly beach.
Dont know so much about the East coast ecept that tumby bay is an Excellent spot
AnswerID: 147848

Reply By: dolphin - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 19:18
Hi Jack,
We loved the Eyre Peninsula. Don't forget to take a look at some of the rock formations at Wudinna. You don't need a 4x4 to see most of these mounts.
It is actually worth staying two nights somewhere and doing the day drives everything is so close. We took 3 weeks to see the peninsula the sealion colony at Point Labait is lovely and the white sand cliffs surrounding this area looked like snow. We stayed at Streaky, Coffin Bay, Arno Bay, Whyalla, we will stay at Elliston and Venus Bay the next time. The wharfes at Port Lincoln are interesting, watching the pilchards being unloaded and the sealions getting a free feed. This is part of our travel journal feel free to take a look. Renee
http://www.supertramp.com.au/trips/SA2003/default.asp?pageID=20
AnswerID: 147849

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:50

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:50
Hi Dolphin:

Thanks for the "Supertramp" link. I enjoyed reading through that. And, yes, the collapsible rake will be packed for the crabs. Thanks again.

Jack

FollowupID: 401344

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:00
I asked the same question before we went there 12 months ago (post probably a couple of months before that). Do an archive search for Eyre Peninsular - the locals gave me heaps of good advice and we loved our trip. My trip report would have been minimal I'm afraid. Tumby Bay deserves a special mention. Loved the fact that they coastal towns all had jetties for easy fishing. It was generally rather cool on the coast, so we zig zagged inland to get warm (including the
Gawler Ranges), then back to the coast to cool down again.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 147861

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:14
Smoky bay is a hidden treasure and acramans creek is fantastic but don't stay after dark as the mozzies are like sea hawks.
AnswerID: 147866

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:32

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:32
Did that trip 3 years ago this month.

I think it is South Australia's best kept secret.

Ceduna, Smoky Bay, Streaky Bay, Elliston, Port Lincol all the others are all worth spending time at.

Shelly Beach Caravan Park just out of Ceduna on the road to Smokey Bay is worth stopping at. We pulled up there about 6pm after travelling all day - checked in at a cabin and walked through the sandhills to the beach. It was magic - stayed at the beach to about 8pm. We made sure we stopped there again on the trip back home.

Really need to spend at least a week in the area and stop at every place for a day - or pick two places and do lots of day trips.

As I said at the start "South Australia's best kept secret"
AnswerID: 147874

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:59
What a fantastic response. Thanks to everyone. This information if invaluable, and makes me eager to get going. Again, many thanks.
Jack

AnswerID: 147901

Reply By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 23:41

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 23:41
Have lived in Whyalla for 2 years now moving from Adelaide and love it. Doing day trips and overnighters to towns mentioned above is a pleasure. Don't forget about Pt Niell a sleepy little town. Also Cowell with its oyster farms and a magnificent long, open, white sandy beach just south of the town. Lots of aquaculture all along the east coast of the peninsula.
Seems like you have the right idea, it's an area best toured with no time limit.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 147924

Reply By: chappobriz - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:38

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:38
G'day,
I thinkEyre Peninsula is the most UNDER-Rated destination. It is abslutely fantastic. Great people amazing scenary.OUr picks were (and we had a 3 y.o. and 3 month old and towed a camper) - Venus Bay, CoffinBay, Fowlers Bay.

You will love it!
Chappo
AnswerID: 147969

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:53

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:53
Chappo, there was a bloke on the tv at the cricket in Melbourne who took a catch in the grandstand called Chappo. Is this you?
FollowupID: 401299

Follow Up By: chappobriz - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 14:42

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 14:42
I wish it was!
I am in Brissie.
Chappo
FollowupID: 401319

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 14:11

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 14:11
Just follow the coast, its all good.
Are you bush camping?
AnswerID: 148032

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:46

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:46
Hi Andrew:

We would like/prefer to bush camp and are set up/travelling for it. Hopefully it will be a mix of bush and CPs along the way.

I am really looking forward to this leg of the trip after the terrific advice we have received on this post.

Cheers
Jack

FollowupID: 401336

Sponsored Links