100 Landcruiser scuffing tyres

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:15
ThreadID: 29597 Views:3606 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

My 2000 TD GXL 100 series Cruiser seems to have a prob with scuffing the outside edge of the passenger side front tyre.

The wheel aligment's been checked twice - by Toyota agent (one of whom didn't know camber from caster!). It was out both times - camber was out. But now it's back scuffing that tyre again.

Anyone had similar probs? Any remedies? I need an solution as up I'm fer new tyres all round soon.

Although - I'm thinking of fitting 7.50R16 8 ply tyres on new set split rims fer me prospecting work this winter. Save the alloys and fat tyres for the shopping trips ;)

Bilbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:31

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:31
Rotation is the fix, as going round roundabouts the wrong way gets you in more trouble than what its worth...
All constants scuff the front pass side, if yours is lifted at all, that wont help this problem...split rims and tyres is a good option for outback....make sure you get the lower control arm bushes checked for cracking of the arms...Pedders will do this for you.
Andrew
AnswerID: 147967

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:39

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:39
Agree with Dozer on the roundabouts. We have more roundabouts than you can poke a stick at in our area, and they seem to be getting tighter all the time ( small t intersections) I was also getting frustrated that my L/H front tyre was wearing at a quicker rate than the rest until a mate at work pointed out the roundabout thing. As we are always turning to the right at roundabouts ( either continuing staight ahead or actually turning right) the L/H front will wear.

Rob
AnswerID: 147970

Reply By: Darian (formerly Banjo) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:10
I'd be getting the thing checked and assessed by an independent tyre place - or similar - mine's a Jackaroo, but my last set of BFG's were supplied (at a good price) and aligned by a klutz - with shoulder wear looming I took it to another place who found the alignment out by a good bit - the original aligner just didn't do it right. Re your one tyre issue, wouldn't you have to spend a lot of time on the said roundabouts ! Do you live in roundabout city ? - are they are good pecentage of your travel ? While bagging no contributions here, rotation of wheels puzzles me as a reaction to a problem on one corner.... I just don't get it.
AnswerID: 147980

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:33

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:33
yep...had the same problem on swmbo's 2002 100's...scrubbed out front left on outside

swmbo reckoned all she needed to do was put petrol in it ... on my credit card too mind you...and anything else was my responsibility...Like Put Air In The Tyres duh!!!

she keeps them pumped up now....i think?
AnswerID: 147989

Reply By: ev700 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:49

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:49
By coincidence my wife Falcon did the same and it was the first time ever. Destroyed two new Sumitomo tyres. Apart from outside edge on both tyres they looked new.

Bad wheel alignment was the cause and probably underinflation hastened it.

Tyre bloke denied any responsibility, but another set of new tyres from a different dealer and no problems again.
AnswerID: 148001

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:07

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:07
Normal wear characteristics for both live and IFS models that spend a lot of time doing right hand turns, U-turns, roundabouts etc. Some tyres are more susceptable than others too. Rotate tyres front to back, REGULARLY, no more than 10,000km. Just another cost to owning these big, heavy expensive "trucks".
AnswerID: 148008

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:31

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:31
I live in a court and this proved to be my problem... I was experiencing shoulder wear on LHF within 2,000km. I get the missus to turn around the wrong way in the court whenever she thinks of it, I also do this and the rate of wear had significantly decreased.
AnswerID: 148015

Reply By: viz - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:33

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:33
Mine the same. Rotate tyres real regular (the ARB "Man" said 5000 km). Get a good alignment 0 I use Heaseman's steering at St Peters (if you are in Sydney) - been using them for donkeys.

Do the castor kits help improve the scrubbing (live axle jobbies) - anyone?

/viz
AnswerID: 148140

Follow Up By: udm - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 21:00

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 21:00
The castor correction will be fitted only if the car has been lifted at least 2".
I wouldn´t think you need to correct castor by 2° with a standard lift car.

Ulises
FollowupID: 401409

Reply By: udm - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:56

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:56
I once went to a wheel alignment place and asked if they could adjust the panhard rods for me, they said, panhard rods? whats that? I can´t believe how quick I jumped into the car and left the place (and it was a known name place). I ended up adjusting them by eye and measure tape.... meaning that you gotta be careful where you take a car.

As far as your problem goes, you should get a printout of the car´s camber (if IFS) and castor values and work from that.

Ulises
AnswerID: 148154

Reply By: barks33 - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 15:14

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 15:14
yep, had a similar problem with my 2004 V8 GXL - rotated wheels, alignments (beaurepairs and other tyre shops), then I took it to a Toyota for an alignment and it's sweet now (and cheaper than the tyre shops - that's a first!!).
I think a lot of it comes down to the skilsl of the individual doing the alignment.

Stupid roundabout questins from me
1) does it scrub you front left tyre when you turn left at a roundabout?
2) when you go straight through a round-about you have to turn left to get on, right to go around, then left to get off - seems pretty balanced to me? how does this wear your front right tyre more?

cheers
Barks
AnswerID: 148533

Sponsored Links