Breakfast Camping Woes!

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:38
ThreadID: 29684 Views:2576 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Aw gee, what am I going to do now?

How will I disguise the taste of burnt toast resulting from my not so perfect camping toaster?
How will I get my daily fix of vitamin B?

Kraft foods, the manufacturer of that iconic breakfast spread VEGEMITE, is to close one of its Melbourne manufacturing facilities and move its operations to China, where costs are much cheaper.

So no longer will we see "Proudly made in Australia since 1923" emblasened across the bottom of the label......................or will we?

Please Kraft Foods, tell me that VEGEMITE will still remain an Australian Icon.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:56

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:56
sandman,i thought bleep might was owned by the good ol USA for some time now, could be wrong though as long as it tastes the same. if not you will have to stand out in the sun for your B fix, have a good 3 or 4.bob
AnswerID: 148503

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 11:49

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 11:49
Hi Sandman,
I think Kraft pledged that Vegemine would be still made in Australia. (otherwise we might see it re-branded Feh Chee Mi?). Anyway, that's what they are saying for the time being, prob till it all blows over.
As the story goes, even tho Kraft have always been a US company, Vegemite was developed in their Aust factory by an Australian back in the depression days, and it has remained an Aust icon, despite being always owned by a foreign company. Bit like Holdens, I guess.
Cheers, Gerry
AnswerID: 148510

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 14:57

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 14:57
It is a national disgrace that all things Aussies are owned by overseas interests...Is the obelisk still there in South Melbourne indicating the place where Vegemite was first made? I guess that will be moved to form part of the Great Wall of China now, or maybe incorporated into Mt Rushmore....Speaking of costs, a mate travelled over seas and in the US Vegemite was available in some larger supermarkets for us$6 and in England he had to pay 5 pounds for a 4 oz jar.....If it is eventually made in China I wonder how much importation costs will force up the price?
It has an excellent shelf life if left unopened. I may just stock up because you can bet your bippy that the Chinks won't have acess to the same ingredients that are used here and the taste will change and taste more like Marmite or Promite....Note Dick Smiths copy can't hold a candle to the real stuff either which is dissapointing...
AnswerID: 148529

Reply By: rolande- Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 15:16

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 15:16
Vegemite still made in Port Melbourne.

They are moving the biscuit factory from Campbellfield to China

Rolande
AnswerID: 148534

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 16:17

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 16:17
Did Dick Smith ever get his ' Aussie Mite ' spread off the ground ?

Cant remember seeing it .

A chance to keep jobs and money in OZ if he did.

Glenn.
AnswerID: 148543

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 19:58

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 19:58
Mighty Mite. I got a mate who lives on it.
FollowupID: 401804

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:19

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:19
hi
try using duel fuel with a toaster
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 148578

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 07:03

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 07:03
Their cheese is made here too, it's just they buy it in from Australian companies like the one I work some of the time for. We have been making their cheese since 1993 and have had associations with them since their earlier days, long before I was born.

We are major exporters these days and help pay for your 'Cruisers, Kias, Jeeps and Jackaroos. So hope you will keep buying the Crackerbarrell which was the old Kraft brand still proudly made in Victoria.

Look out for the Great Ocean Road brand though..... Likely to appear through deli lines. Really top cheeses.
AnswerID: 148671

Sponsored Links