fm transmitters for ipods

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:04
ThreadID: 29713 Views:2217 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
goodday all
is anybody using these fm transmitters in their trucks and are they successful ?is there any interference when using uhf or hf radios ?basically are they a good or bad thing as with this sort of technolgy i am still catching up

tricky dick has a 20gig mp3 player for $329
it must beat carrying discs all the time

steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ellmcg - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:20

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:20
I get a bit of interference from my windscreen wipers, but not from my uhf...

Just make sure you get one which isn't too close to a radio station in your area. You can get generic multiple frequency ones which work just as well as the 'proper' iPod ones (which only appear to use one frequency).
AnswerID: 148711

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:28

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:28
See my comments below.......the transmitter I'm now waiting for can be tuned to any FM frequency right through the band from 87 to 107. The cheap chit one I bought off ebay only had 4 freqency choices, all up the top end (like 106.5 106.9 107.1 and 107.9 or something like that).
FollowupID: 401881

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:25

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:25
Steve,
I bought a ipod shuffle recently (1gig) and I also had a ebay transmitter for about $2-00 plus postage. I say "had", cos you get what you pay for.....and it chit itself after a couple of days (the transmiiter, not the ipod). However, while it working it worked very well.....just set the car radio onto 107.9 (there was a total of 4 frequencies I could choose from) and away it went. I didn't try to use the UHF or HF when it was going.
I have since ordered a proper transmitter " XtremeMac Airplay FM Transmitter for iPod shuffle" from a mob called Streetwise, but they're out of stock at present. This unit works a bit different as the ipod plugs into a USB socket, so the ipod is being powered and re-charged by the 12v system as well as transmitting to the car radio.
There is no reason why you couldn't also use the ipod etc at home if you're having a party and want non-stop music all night....all you's need would be a portable power pack that you normally take camping, plus your home hi-fi radio.
AnswerID: 148712

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (WA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 14:23

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 14:23
Hi Roachie.I did get some speckers when i got my ipod. Cost a few $$$$$$.But work great in the home.I have almost 5 days non stop
music on mine without playing the same song. Have tried to use them
12v in the car but dont seem to work as well.
brian
FollowupID: 401911

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:17

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:17
Hey, Good tip Bill.

I currently use a Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter on my Shuffle.
It works well, but its powered by 2 AA batteries and they seem to go flat at the most inconvenient time.

I like the ability to charge the iPod at the same time too.

Will look into purchasing an ExtremeMac for myself. Thanks.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 402022

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:11

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:11
G'day Sandman,
If you're happy with your current tuning arrangement, maybe you don't need to spend any extra cash.......I have an offer for you.
When i bought my cheap transmitter which has since died, I also bought another gizmo that plugs into the cigi lighter socket and has a USB port on it. The shuffle's USB plugs into this little plug and it runs/charges the shuffle. If your Tunecast operates using the headphone jack, you could have this thing of mine for nicks and see if it is what you need.
Let me know mate......
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 402053

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 16:48

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 16:48
Folks,

After Roachie's "sales pitch" on the XtremeMac Airplay FM Transmitter, I ordered one early Friday morning (like 2am) and received it this morning (Monday)

Having tested it on the way to work this afternoon I have got to say it is a definite improvement on the Belkin Tunecast II I also have.

The Tunecast was ok I guess, but I also have experienced interference at times and had to move the iPod/Transmitter around.

I also didn't like the necessity to install AAA batteries in the Transmitter and the fact that I could only recharge the iPod via the Laptop.

The XtremeMac Airplay FM Transmitter is a one unit solution. It has a one metre lead to plug into the iPod's USB port and I have not experienced any interference so far.

You can please yourself whether you leave it laying on the console, or seat, or attach a peice of self sticking Velco to fasten it to the dash somewhere.

I have got to say this device looks like a winner for simple playback of the iPod shuffle via the car's Stereo System.

May still use the Tunecast II as a "portable" transmitter, when I am away from the car, but then again probably not. I usually only need music when I'm driving. At rest, I prefer the pure bliss of silence. (except birdlife, running water, etc.)
Bill

FollowupID: 403785

Reply By: peter49 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:55

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:55
Hi Steve,
I also have a 20gig Ipod. Have been using it for over a year now with the iTrip Fm transmitter,together with the cig lighter ipod charger which powers both ipod and itrip.The itrip can be tuned to any FM freq.(not just one like someone else said).Its very important to have this in Sydney as nearly all the fm slots are taken up with community radio etc etc.In Sydney I use 89.5 with no interference.It works really well and sure beats cd stackers. Like others said play it thru any FM radio. My ipod has over 50 cds and is less than half capacity. My only complaint with the itrip fm thing is that it is fiddly to tune(you have to go into a playlist on the ipod) BUT there is a new model itrip in the US with a click wheel and digital display for the fm freq. MUCH BETTER, try and get the new one not the oldie which is still on sale at full retail at my local DSE.
Peter
AnswerID: 148719

Reply By: mfewster - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:00

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:00
There is a better way.
You can get car radios/sound systems that allow you to plug from the mp3 player and into the radio. Therefore, no interference problems. Repco have some low end models that do this and others are coming out fast (Alpine has a top end model).

If you have a tape deck you can get an adaptor that runs from the mp3 player into the cassette. Again, no interference.

And yes, they sure beat carrying discs all the time
AnswerID: 148721

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:38

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:38
Theyre great. I use one for my UHF when I am out bush, when theres nothing on the waves
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 148722

Reply By: Member - Brian (WA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:56

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:56
Hi Steve. I have a itrip, have not noticed any interfearance when using it. Only
use it out of the metro area anyway where we cannot pick up any decent stations.
Got mine set to 88.5.Done a test it will transmit about 6 car lenghts. Get one.
brian
AnswerID: 148724

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 14:30

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 14:30
G'day Steve

I have an EasyMP3 Player. Plugs into cig lighter socket and has FM range of 7 channels. Bought from Jaycar for $70

Out here in the sticks there is no interference but in the Big Smoke you might have to search for a station which isn't broadcasting

1gig flashcard holds 225 songs at 192 bits per song.(Flashcard around $120 at Jaycar)

It is brilliant! And with 4 speakers in the GQ I am a MOVING NOISE. I got told off by an old mate who said " I can hear you coming three blocks away. The cops will lock you up for that noise!" I love it!!!

No more tapes or CD's. No tape srew-ups...NBo CD's jumping on corrugations.

I have mine connected an independent cig socket running off aux battery. Can play continuous music for 10 hours!

We have one in each vehicle with own personal music tastes

Cheers mate
AnswerID: 148745

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:24

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:24
Careful Willem,

You'll be acused of having a "doof doof" mobile like Rock Crawler had. (has?)
Bill

FollowupID: 402023

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 15:49

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 15:49
I agree with "mfewster" that radios with with "Aux input" option are the best option. And if you are shopping around for a new car radio try to get one with the Aux in option. We put a Jensen car radio in our Landy a few months ago - an find use the aux input most of the time.

In our XTRAIL we use one of the Belkin FM transmitters. It has a choice of 4 frequencies. It also works well and we suffer from no interefrence. If you don't have a radio with AUX input it is a very good alternative

Jeff
AnswerID: 148756

Reply By: OMN - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:24

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:24
Depending on which IPOD you have or if you are buyign one the new ipods dont have the same plugs on the top as the old so some of the transmitters that worked on older model ipods wont work on the new one.

We found this when i bought the video ipod and my wifes, which she had had for a while, didnt have the same holes so i had to buy a new transmitter.

However good part about this is that the one i bought is able to be tuned to any frequency in the band and also plugs into the base so it charges the IPOD as well. The main part of the transmitter plugs straight into the cigarette lighter.

We found with my wifes that the runnign the transmitter it flattened the battery really quickly which was frustrating as it was ususlally long trips we used it for.

I bought my transmitter from the Apple shop, it was more expensive but it works really well no problems.

The camera adaptor is really good as well, means i effectively have a 60GB memeory card for the camera, less songs usage obviously.

Mark
AnswerID: 148785

Reply By: Lorne - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:32

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:32
Hi
Try this one it will stop any interference coming in as it is connected directly to your aerial and can be hidden away and forgot about.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM3780&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=619

Lorne........

PS how do you do the hyperlinks again?
AnswerID: 148819

Sponsored Links