On coming vehicles

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:31
ThreadID: 29726 Views:2572 Replies:9 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from 7 days in the Vic High Country and 8 days in the Snowy River area. On the tracks down there we came across a lot of vehicles going the other way and as there is not room to pass some one has to move over to allow the other to pass.
I always work to the rule, If the vehicle is going up the hill it has the right of way, a vehicle with a trailer has the right of way and the most number of vehicles in the convey has right of way. This is a general rule and at times it will have to be changed because of conditions.
The other thing that I do is when I get to an on coming vehicle I stop and have a chat. This usually goes like this,

G-Day, How is it going? I have X number of vehicles following, how many in your convey?

At this stage a decision is made on who is going to move over to allow the other convey to pass. A call over the UHF has the conveys moving over or moving up behind the trip leader. In the mean time I will ask the other driver where they are going and where they have been. This will give the convey time to move over or move up and the convey moves on. What I don't like is when the other driver after they say that they will wait will move on just after I have moved off. This puts the convey at risk as they are expecting vehicles to be stopped.
This happened after I had to almost force a vehicle, a Disco, to stop. He wanted to know why I wanted him to stop because he knew that I was coming because he picked me up on the UHF. I said that was great but how many vehicles did I have in the convey and when was he going to let me know how many vehicle were in his convey. He was alright but to heck to any one else.
In our discussion he also asked why I had told an other vehicle not to try and drive up the Monument Track. He had heard me talking on the UHF to my convey on why I was talking to a single vehicle for so long.I told the driver of the Disco that I didn't think that a stock vehicle with road tyres, no other vehicle for support and the driver or passenger had not driven the track before should attempt to go up the Monument Track with out at least driving down it first. After that the Disco driver said he would wait until all of our convey had passed, but as soon as I moved off he moved as well.He was alright to heck with anyone else.
This driver is not the normal driver that I come across in the bush, most are very friendly and are only to happy to have a chat. The fact that he was driving a Disco is no reflection on other Disco drivers.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:56

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:56
I have come across a little bit of that... It's unfortunate but there's not a lot you can do to change the minds of these people... Even when out on our trail bikes we have the rule that any 4 wheeled vehicle has the right of way on these tracks. We can easily drag/carry a bike out of any vehicles way and they are relatively easy to get going again regardless of the conditions. We still get some drivers who even after we have stopped and got out of their way, give us a giant mouthful of the "F'n bikes" routine.

Some people are just plain dumb.
AnswerID: 148808

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:07

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:07
Blue,

If I come across bikes I will try and let them know how many vehicles are behind me by holding up so many fingers. They will do the same.( I hate it when there are only two vehicles behind me) I will then get on the UHF and tell the convey to move over and let the bikes pass. If they come up from behind I tell the convey to indicate to what side of the track they will move to when safe and let the bikes pass.

Wayne
FollowupID: 401979

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:46

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:46
Yeah Wayne, the hand signals are important... We'll very rarely pass going uphill, knobbies just throw up way too many rocks and no-one needs a window or lights broken. Guess it comes down to a mix of conditions and coutesey(sp?, sleep dep)
FollowupID: 401984

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:11

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:11
Hi Wayne,

Some people need to learn how to play better with others for sure.

The only thing I do a bit different to you is that I will generally give way to a vehicle who is heading downhill on a track as I think it is easier for the vehicle heading upwards to reverse down until they can find a spot to pull off the track.

At times it is near impossible for the guy coming downhill to stop and reverse upwards to get out of the way.

This strategy seems to work well most of the time for me in places we usually go to like Moreton and Fraser Island etc.

Courtesy and common sense are the key though.

Have a good one.
AnswerID: 148811

Reply By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:24

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:24
I'm not having a personal go at anyone but the number of times you come across someone like that they are almost invariably driving a disco or Rangie. Best one that comes to mind was just over the crest on the Oodnadata track, 4 Rangies pulled had been flagged down by a bloke with fuel problems. As soon as I pulled up, the coment was "Your driving Jap Crap you can fix him up" and then roared off. My mechanical knowledge can be written on a postage stamp. On another trip across the Simpson, a bloke in a Disco was taking 3-4 attempts to get over even easy sandhills. When we asked what tyre pressure, he said 40psi. Told him to let them down to twenty and said he didn't need to as he had diff lockers. Pity about the damage he was going to the track.
Nowadays they get a wide berth from me.
AnswerID: 148815

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:25

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:25
Quote:
"...but the number of times you come across someone like that they are almost invariably driving a disco or Rangie...."

I resemble that remark! :))))

I've only ever driven a RR off road, and I dare not get stuck in my Rodeo (:o

I don't normally care what the etiquette is , I usually always give way, unless I'm going to fall off the earth.

I have a vague recollection of the track, between Dargo/Jamieson and Walhalla having a few "long stretches" of single lane track.
This is some 15 years ago, and I haven't been for at least 10-12 years.
But I invariably always used to give way to the 'old fella' coming the other way.........
It was always a matter of who remebered how far the last wide spot was!!
FollowupID: 402018

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:28

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:28
Wayne glad you had good trip can you give any road updates re trees blocking roads etc just for info.???Agree with your post.
AnswerID: 148817

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:44

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:44
Disco Driver say no more, probably a dentist, or lawyer.
AnswerID: 148822

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:51

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:51
Or my ship dit boss...
FollowupID: 401986

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:52

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:52
Or blues dip bleep boss...

or my ex-boss' wife, who actually said she would never get out of the way in her disco.. stupid old slag
FollowupID: 401987

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:02

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:02
Hi guys, Youre both wrong.
I'm a retired grumpy old fart who's been driving 4wd's for more that 40 years, both for work and as a private vehicle.
All my working life has been in the bush and I am definitely NOT a Lawyer or Dentist.
FollowupID: 402000

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:16

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:16
Hey Truckster... *wispers* I think it's my bosses dad...
FollowupID: 402004

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:32

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:32
Hey Truckie,

Never seen a Lawyer who goes 4wding. Wierd Eh?

Plenty of doctors, engineers, etc etc

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 402007

Follow Up By: ImEasy - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:35

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:35
Geeez, it's Kindergarten this morning.
FollowupID: 402030

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:55

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:55
Neither am i, but i must agree as to the most unhospitable drivers i meet in the bush have been Disco drivers, they don't wave, they don't move over and even when they pull up beside you they ignor you, it really gets up my nose, i get friendlier waves from the jap drivers than Landy drivers.

We have a little thing we do now when a Disco approaches i say wave at the disco, and we all get out the windows and wave and yell franticly, we certainly get some strange looks ;-))))

OK am awaiting flack from Disco owners

Baz.
FollowupID: 402047

Follow Up By: Feral - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:29

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:29
Baz...you haven't come across me then.

The wife crouches in the seat when another Disco comes towards us. I give them the big flick of the wrist and the question must be "Who the hell is that?"

Although, I am having trouble convincing the wife & kids to hang outside the vehicle to wave.

Any tips?

Cheers,
Lyndon.
Immaculate Discovery Td5.
FollowupID: 402055

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:45

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:45
LOL blue!
FollowupID: 402087

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:06

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:06
Hey Redback

You have a Disco as well,eh?

Or did you flog it? .....LOL
FollowupID: 402172

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:23

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:23
Hey Willem, yep still got her, but get peived at the snobery of other Disco and Range Rover owners, although most of them ARE town cars and very rarely see a dirt road.

Which could explain their bad habits when off road.

Baz.
FollowupID: 402227

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:31
I did a lot of k's in the north of WA last year and got really piss**off with many 4x4 drivers. When another vehicle approached we would move to the left and slow down, almost all of the approaching vehicles would see the oppertunity of a clear (but narrow) road ahead and continue past at high speed throwing a shower of stones at me. I decided the best plan was to play chicken and stay in the middle but slow down till I could see the other vehicle was also slowing. I would then pull over and sometimes the on-coming vehicle would also move to their left. aAt least if they had slowed down there was less chance of a broken windscreen. Most offenders were towing campers!
AnswerID: 148852

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:40

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:40
Know the problem. Have a few bulls eye on the windscreen.
OK tourists don't know better, and hopefully they learn by example, but when it is locals it annoys me.
Last one was a telstra patrol between Windorah and Birdsville.
He was still going 100 in the gibber country when I had slowed down to 60k and pulled over.
FollowupID: 402031

Follow Up By: gramps - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:37

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:37
"Last one was a telstra patrol"

Company car - say no more :))))
FollowupID: 402229

Reply By: Ken - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:15

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:15
Wayne, your approach is absolutely right for these conditions. This is VAFWDC policy as well and is based on it being easier for the vehicle going downhill to stop and get started again in contrast to the vehicle coming uphill stoppping and having difficulty starting again on the hill. In practice though unless you are lucky to have a spot to pull over and let the uphill traveller pass both end up stopping and hopefully exchanging the pleasantries you mention. Curtesy and co-operation are the go and unfortunately as you found it can be pretty scare at times.
It isn't limited to Discos though mate, Ive found it in all types from VB swilling blue singlets in Hi Luxes to RM Williams clad wankers in Jeeps.
It is getting very crowded in the Vic High Country for as well as all the Vics who love it, the lack of a similar experiences in other states means there are increasing numbers of interstate plates on show. The lack of experience of some of these people in the conditions are all too evident in their actions and attitudes.

Ken
AnswerID: 148867

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:33

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:33
QUOTE;
The lack of experience of some of these people in the conditions are all too evident in their actions and attitudes.
END QUOTE;

Mate ain't that the bloody truth.

Baz.
FollowupID: 402070

Follow Up By: richopesto - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:55

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:55
I thought enough had been said about bad attitudes here, but I thought it worth one more snide comment...

QUOTE;
The lack of experience of some of these people in the conditions are all too evident in their actions and attitudes.
END QUOTE; ........not quite right.

quote "The attitude and actions of these people are evident." end quote.

Irrespective of driving experience I'll think you'll find elitist w@nkers behave pretty appallingly anywhere they drive. The fact they are on a potentially dangerous track is irrelevant to them. People breathing the rare air 'up there' think a mobile phone, RACV/NRMA membership and a an in-car GPS is all the off road experience you need.
Classism and snobbery is alive and well under the Howard government.
FollowupID: 402074

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:31
Richopesto,
Just what the hell does the government of the day have to do with this discussion???
FollowupID: 402082

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:42

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:42
"This is VAFWDC policy as well and is based on it being easier for the vehicle going downhill to stop and get started again in contrast to the vehicle coming uphill stoppping and having difficulty starting again on the hill"

When our 4 vehicle convoy was going up Billy Goats Bluff the other day a Tag-along operator told us to stop and virtually demanded that we stop and give way and we were on the way up. He just kept yelling into the radio for his group to keep coming even though the group realised we were coming up!! He had a time frame in which to get the trip done and was just pushing his way through with not respect for others.....wish I could remember the name of the company...

WRT to monument track, that's where I saw a GQ on it's roof a couple of years ago.

Leroy
FollowupID: 402083

Follow Up By: richopesto - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:44

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:44
MrBitchi,

If you understood how our leaders, media and other peers set and guide the attitudes of society, then this note may have more pertinence for you. I dont have 4 hours here to discuss sociology and psychology of the masses. (Not that Im any sort of expert anyway)

Besides, I like to have a go at Lil King Johnny whenever I can.

PS I bet $10 you vote lib/nats. ;-)
FollowupID: 402085

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:47

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:47
I'm with you John, correcting grammar and rambling on about the government seems a bit odd, don't think it has anything to do with some 4wdrivers attitude and driving skills in the bush.
FollowupID: 402136

Follow Up By: richopesto - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:07

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:07
Hey Redback,
Im not normally fussed by others stupidity, but it seems I have placed a comment of real thought here (as left field as it may seem)in attempt to provoke some conversation slightly beyond "what suspension should I put in my Prado" unfortunately, either rednecks who dont understand it make inane judegements, or worse........
1. No grammatical corrections were made here. Read it again. If you still dont get it, don't bother.
2. I already explained in the post why it DOES have a hell of a lot to do with attitudes of people in the bush, in the city, in their cars and in general. But with obviously limited mental faculties, as clearly demonstrated by your response, it doesnt matter what I say, your narrow mindedness and inability to comprehend text will make it awfully hard to explain much beytond tying shoelaces.
You probably only responded to get a bit of flame going. so there you go, u got some. ;-)

I'll save my more challenging posts where they might raise some intellect, not stubbie to mouth.

cheers
richopesto
"Dont use force, use a bigger hammer"
FollowupID: 402141

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:29

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:29
Well there ya go, i won't bother as you have lowered yourself to abusing me and i'd say John as well, so this is over, you showed your true colours.

Baz.
FollowupID: 402228

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:16

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:16
A lack of common sense is not restricted to Disco driving lawyers in Vic. Had an experience a couple of years ago where I got stuck with my vehicle and trailer going up the Frenchman Track out of the Pascoe River. The boys in blue coming out of LR (going the other way) were telling me (over the radio) that they wanted to get trough and for me to get out of the way. Errr, I'm stuck and there are 2 other vehicles behind me.

Got out OK but I'd have to wonder about the fuzz, obviously a better copper than a 4wdr. Getting stuck and blocking a track is not the nicest place to be - don't want sympathy but hello reversing back with a trailer into the Pascoe was not an option no matter how important he was. He could have come down and towed us out but that offer wasn't forthcoming.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 148925

Reply By: greydemon - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:09

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:09
While doing around 80k to keep above the ruts on the Kalumbaru road I was kicking up a huge dust cloud and could see nothing in any of my mirrors. Suddenly a Toyota came out of the dust and went past me as if I were standing still. Now I accept that he might have known that there were no bends ahead, but he certainly couldn't see if anything was coming towards me, and he couldn't have known if I was about to move to the right to avoid a hole. My only guess was that he assumed that if someone was coming towards me I would have slowed right down to kill the dust. He would have been right but he was certainly taking a risk, after all .... I drive a Disco.
AnswerID: 148982

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:53

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:53
yeah, but for the charlies on here that have turned this into another Disco berating session, you were probably just having a good day whilst the Tojo had an emergency on his hands.
FollowupID: 402185

Follow Up By: greydemon - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:00

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:00
Oh yes, and I had channel 13 open on the uhf and would happily have pulled over for someone in a hurry.

Incidentally I am not in any way having a go at Toyota drivers, in my experience idiots are idiots no matter what they drive, and I'll wave to anyone - except that I do get a bit fed up of turning the wave into a headscratch when they don't respond!
FollowupID: 402219

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:57

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:57
G'day Greydemon,

Having done that road myself last August I can vouch that at 80K you were unlikely to be holding up traffic (probably only a couple of spots where we would have exceeded that speed). We found 80K about right for the corrugations on that road. Hope you enjoyed your time at Kalumburu - we did.

But as another thought when we travel in a convoy (wasn't us as we don't have a Toyo in our group and you would have been travelling way too fast) we would give road reports allowing vehicle to overtake where they can't get a view of the road.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 402241

Sponsored Links