brisbane to the alice

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:13
ThreadID: 29810 Views:2219 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's!

I am trying to plan a trip later this year to the rock from Brisbane. Can anyone recomend some literature/maps, (paper and digital)/points of interest/previous experiences/best time of year/etc.... that might help.

At this stage we have about 3 vehicles and I was planning to come back through the Simpson in about early October. That's as far as I have gotten!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lynchie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:32

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:32
Have a look at the Hema maps for specific areas. Hema Outback Australia Map for big picture

Route - depends what sort of terain your want. For me if I had never been I would make sure I go to Longreach to see Stockman Hall of fame- absolutely top place.

From there do the section of the Winton Innamincka trek that is on this site
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/OutbackQLD/Winton_to_Innamincka.asp

Go from Longreach to Opalton to Lark Quarry- absolutely fascinating place.

Winton to Boulia- great yabbies in the Burke river :-)
Boilia to Alice via the Plenty, Stay a night at Gem tree perhaps.

Alice to the Uluru via the loop through western McDonnell ranges

Double back a bit to Stuart well region then down the old Gahn route to Finke

Finke to Lambert centre- Mt Dare

Mt Dare to Birdsville via the Simpson.

Birdsville to Charleville-Brissie.

Best time - May to Sept probably best.

Heaps to see and do

AnswerID: 149278

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:43

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:43
Don't forget - October's fairly hot in the SD and early October you might run into/over the Desert Cycle challenge participants!!!
Hoe are you David?
FollowupID: 402564

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:48

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:48
I am well Ruth, how are you?
I should see you in July this year.
Hot out there right now?
Hot enough here
FollowupID: 402568

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:56
David O - really well although suffering from the heat also this summer. 46 outside and 28 inside with a/cs on. Dogs are feeling it especially as they are banned from my clean carpet.
Good to see you later in the year - just saw your other post about Durham Downs - John Ferguson is still there and have been trying to find the phone number for you, Maybe when you want to come the flood will have happened (yahoo) and you won't be able to get across that country. Their outstation had 2.5 inches of rain last Thursday but nothing on Durham. I'll email you if I find the number.
FollowupID: 402637

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:04
G'day Ruth

I reckoned it must be hot out there. My dogs are at my feet in the A/C :-) not stupid are they. We have tiles so not so bad.

Hey thanks for looking up the Durham Downs phone number, I appreciate it. It looks like DD would be a hard place to get to for a fair while in a wet year.

Saw your place on TV a couple of days ago some travel show doing a bit on the races, mentioned the 30 acres- reckon you needed it that weekend.

Anyhow look forward to seeing you all in July.
FollowupID: 402639

Reply By: JW - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:19

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:19
Lynchie,

We are heading off at Easter for a 12 week jaunt to the Kimberleys via Alice.
Two suggestions:
1. If you are expecting to use caravan parks in the Alice, book now. I booked last November and had trouble getting two sites at the times we wanted. The "minimum stay" bogey is common. Forget the Alice over the Queen's Birthday weekend. C P s are booked solid due to the Finke Desert Race.

2. If you are not already a member of BIG 4 and TOP TOURIST PARKS, join at a cost of $ 20 for two years (I think). The discounts recoup the membership very quickly. Each of their booklets gives you the 1800 number for each park as well which can save some money in phonecalls.

Regards
Jon W
AnswerID: 149306

Reply By: Coolman - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:06

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:06
David O - I am looking at a similar trip. How long would you allow to follow the sample itinery there? Any idea of travel times?

I was planning to allow 2 - 3 weeks for a similar trip.
AnswerID: 149381

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:00

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:00
OK I am talking minimum times pretty much, and allowing a bit of time at the major points of interest- double it if you want to have a look around.

Brissie to Longreach I don't know- pretty standard highway travel times per kilometre

From there do the section of the Winton Innamincka trek that is on this site
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/OutbackQLD/Winton_to_Innamincka.asp

Longreach to Winton via that route all day to Opalton
Overnight there. If you want to do some noodling then add another day
One day to Winton allowing for Lark Quary visit.

Winton to Boulia a couple of hours

Should get to Gemtree in a faily easy day

Few hours to Alice

Alice to the Uluru via the loop through western McDonnell ranges

Need to allow for overnighters here, absolute miniumm to see some of the sites would be one overnight stop. Take more time though, it is worth it.

Double back a bit to Stuart well region then down the old Gahn route to Finke
stop at Rainbow Valley catch the sunset 1 day
stop at Chambers pillar for sunset 1 day

Finke to Lambert centre- Mt Dare easy day

Mt Dare to Birdsville via the Simpson. 4 days

Birdsville to Charleville-Brissie. unknown
FollowupID: 402577

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:03

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:03
So three weeks would be great, then you can really see everything.
If you have 24 days and like to add Oodnadatta, Arkaroola, Bore track, Coober Pedy etc etc then msg me as I am taking a trip thru there in June/July
FollowupID: 402582

Follow Up By: JW - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:19

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:19
Coolman,
IMHO, 3 weeks might be pushing it.
For what its worth,in winter of 2001 we did
Toowoomba-Cunnamulla-Tibooburra-Cameron Corner-Innamincka-Birdsville-Boulia-Winton-Longreach-Toowoomba in 14 days.
We were stuffed at the end and, in hindsight, wished that we had had more time.
We camped 13 nights with 4 x 2 nights and the rest were overnighters. We did a total of just under 5000 km. Every day was a rush.
Jon W
FollowupID: 402625

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:27

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:27
Let me correct the "see everything" bit. You could see a great deal. Yes I agree two weeks is too short but with 21 days that trip could be done fairly comfortably. If time is tight, don;t do the loop in the Western Mc, save it for another trip. Or do the loop and don't do the Simpson. Above all be flexible.

Always allow for a few days extra tho and don't be a stickler for timetables. The outback has absolutely no respect at all for timetables. And of course, the more tme you have, the more you can see

FollowupID: 402627

Reply By: Coolman - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:31

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:31
Thanks for the info. I will plan on 3 weeks minimum and see if I can get any more time off!!!

Lynchie. Hope the info helped. I did not want to hijack your thread but I am from Brisbane also..
AnswerID: 149871

Reply By: lynchie - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:49

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:49
Thanks for the help guy's.

(sorry not to reply sooner, ya know, career and all!)

I think i might have to move the trip forward, sounds like October might be getting a bit warm! Can anyone tell me when the wet season typically is? (if there actually still is a wet season!)

Thanks again
Lynchie
AnswerID: 149981

Sponsored Links