where to carry boat?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:17
ThreadID: 29889 Views:5151 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
planning a trip around oz ,taking a 10ft tinny .In a dilemma whether to geta roof rack 4 the triton or a boat rack 4 my tambo camper trailer any feed back would be appreciated, concerns are fuel econ, accessibility to water,was it an inconvenience on the c/t. any ideas on mounting small outboard 9.9hp.

thanks tony.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:30

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:30
Majority carry on roof that I see and I've learnt the majority usually do things for a reason, so I don't try and re-invent the wheel.

Obviously becuase it saves lugging one of those bluddy heavy foldable finicky trailers....

Someone on here mounts their outboard in the tinny which is carried on their boat loader roof rack.... I think .
AnswerID: 149704

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:48

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:48
G'day,

Yeah, I do that and it works. Use to have it on the trailer and it was a PITA to get off every time you had to pitch the tent and not use the boat. Trust me this will annoy you after a while.

We have travelled this way on our last trip, 3 months accross the Kimberley.

!MPG:3!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 403087

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:16

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:16
I don't have to remove the boat each time I set my trailer up. The boat rack is on gas struts and simply raises away from the trailer with the boat still attached.
FollowupID: 403157

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:32

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:32
G'day Patrol22,

They have probably got a lot better since I had a good look at them. But I've seem travellers with blocks of timber propping up the rack, after they had folded it back, just to stop it from going right over. I have also seen a traveller tying off the empty rack to stop it from folding back on the tent. I'm definitely not saying that these devices are no good - it is just what I've seen. And it's all more work when you are setting up camp.

My experience from 2 months on the Cape was that the tinnie was in the way more often than not but this was not an issue once we shifted it to the top of the car - it can just sit there. I found this is the least work if travelling and stopping regularly (say as opposed to stopping somewhere for several weeks when it probably doesn't matter).

Kind regards
FollowupID: 403165

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:55

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:55
Hi Tony ,

I put my 3.7m Dart on my Trak Shak camper and have detachable wheels that lock onto the gunnels . Then I have a widget which locks the bow onto my Treg coupling . With this system I can tow it unregistered a few hundred metres to the water with the motor installed , the fishing gear, safety gear and tank onboard .

BUT
I think if it was only a 10 ft , I might put it on the top of the car . Then I don't need to worry about wheels and widgets , I can just take it from the camp to the water on the car . But then I have to cart the motor and the other stuff separately .

It's a tough decision and I love my widget !

Cheers ,

Willie
AnswerID: 149716

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:07

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:07
Pic of widget is a must here.
FollowupID: 403005

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 18:45

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 18:45
I am sorry but I am a moron and can't post a picture .
FollowupID: 403213

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:08

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:08
I would recommend a boat rack for the Tambo.

I can't tell from looking at the boat rack option on the Tambo site, how the rack flips right over, but I assume it can, so that the boat ends up flat on the ground, right side up.

This allows you to move the boat and rack out of the way so that you can set up the camper, without having to remove the boat altogether.

My camper boat rack is gas strut assisted and it also has a bracket attached to the rear tailgate to clamp the outboard to. When away without the boat, I simply raise the rack to a 90 degree position and tie it off. Keeps it out of the way of the tent and also someone (but not me of course) staggering about with a skin full and tripping over it.

Could not imagine the need to put the boat on the roof of the vehicle if you have the camper anyway.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 149761

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:03

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:03
If you can , I would use the roof of the vehicle.

Lot less fussing around when it becomes time to launch.
AnswerID: 149790

Reply By: Barnesy - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:06

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:06
Tony, am thinking about the same problem myself. Looking at many different types of racks etc i have basically decided to make a rack for the camper trailer. I have seen some that can slide out or flip over with the tinny still tied to it negating the need to untie and remove it every night. Shouldn't be too hard to manufacture a custom one.

If the tinny was on the car roof, you lose that storage area plus the wind resistance would be huge worsening fuel economy. Not to mention banging it on overhead branches.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 149835

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:17

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:17
But then again Tony, a lot of people carry tinnies on the roof of the car. They must do this for a reason.
FollowupID: 403128

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:19

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:19
G'day Barnesy,

Haven't really had a problem with low branches on either trip to the Cape and Kimberley. Just for info though I have seen a number of these boat rack options with problems (mind you I always reckon they were a good idea and I've carried the tinnie on the trailer as well). There is nothing like having it out of the way on top of the car and reckon that for a long trip fuel economy goes out of the window anyway.

Kind regards

!MPG:5!

!MPG:8!
FollowupID: 403129

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:47

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:47
A tinny in the Simpson! What was the weather forecast :o)

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 403142

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:54

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:54
G'day Pete,

Very Dry! Ever heard of the inland sea? I can tell you it doesn't exists.

Sorry just yanking your chain, we were returning from the Kimberley. We were asked that a couple of times when we actually ran into fellow travellers.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 403147

Follow Up By: blanky - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:58

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:58
Beatit,

I am also ponering the same question, Roof or Trailer. Any problems with the tinnie on the roof and extended travel on corrigations? Noticed you have a Tinnie Tosser but cant find manufacturer anywhere on the web. Do you have any links?

Thanks
FollowupID: 403166

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:13

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:13
G'day Blanky,

Had no problems at all, the winching ropes are connected in four corners of the boat and are rated to 900Kg, they hold the boat snug to the rack. I also found it a convenient way of storing the outboard.

The guy that makes these doesn't have a web address but can be contacted at,

Glen Wyatt
Bowline (Qld) Pty Ltd
31 Cabernet Court, MORAYFIELD QLD 4506
Ph: (07) 5498 7339, Fax: (07) 5498 7351
email: esmarine@ozemail.com.au

We gave it a pounding, let me tell you, on the GRR and the Tanami. Some of our group had things break but the rack and the tinnie were just not an issue. BTW felt that it also served well as a tropical roof to keep the car a little cooler.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 403171

Follow Up By: blanky - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:00

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:00
Thanks Beatit,

Looks good. Just have to remember to take it off before driving into the garage. Did they also make the outboard carrier?
FollowupID: 403188

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:07

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:07
Most of it, the guy is good at welding aluminium so had him make the crate and also weld in 4 lugs on the tinnie frame - 4 bolts hold it in the tinnie. I added a couple of things like a slotted piece of timber for the o/b skeg, an aluminium strip that holds the lugs on the o/b (the ones that it would sit on if placed on the ground) - this stops it twisting in the frame and a fail safe rubber bed for the cowling (about 2" wide) in case there was a problem and something let go.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 403192

Reply By: Tessysdad - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:40

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:40
When we had a camping trailer it was fitted with boat racks, the fixed type. This was fine when making a one destination trip with an extended stay. We decided that touring with the tinnie on the c/t was not going to be fun so decided to put the tinnie (3.75 Quinnie Dart) on top of the GU. Found it was no more difficult to get it onto the Gu than the c/t and we had the added advantage of not having to remove it each time we stopped. Having solved that we decided to put the canoe on top of the c/t and had to remove that each time we stopped. Thankfully that was not quite as bad as taking off and replacing the tinnie, but there were times when we thought it may have been wise to leave it home. Then there were those wonderful times slipping through the water up a very iscolated water course taking in all the bird life. Just put it on top of the vehicle, you won't be disappointed. Just a bit of a clue if you have not already got a tinnie, a slightly longer tinnie may go on top of the vehicle with a bit more ease than a 10 footer, depending on how high your vehicle is. Getting the point of balance right is important.
Happy camping,
Mike and Jan.
AnswerID: 149882

Sponsored Links