Tracks to North of Barmera?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:34
ThreadID: 29891 Views:2372 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

will be camping with a mob of kids in tow on the Murray for a couple of days near Kingston on Murray next week. On my Raster Maps there looks to be a maze (perhaps overstating a tad but couldn't find the right word) of tracks on the other side of the river North of Barmera (but not as far as Danggali).

Has anyone got any idea whether these are worth a look for a quick day trip? ie: are they just dirt roads I could take my sedan on (not that I will be in it) or are they a bit of a challenge needing the Patrol and providing some interest for the kids, some of whom have not been in a 4WD?

Looks like the weather might be a stinker so may need to be in the car for the air conditioning!

A few of you are Riverland based so let me know if you want to catch up.

Cheers
Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trevor M (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:40

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:40
PS: would welcome any alternative suggestions from any of the locals.

I have already been to the quarry near Morgan and the run down the Border from Renmark. I have heard there is a 4WD track at Danggali but it is not obvious on the map (there are lots marked) and it may be a bit far in the heat?

Trevor
AnswerID: 149707

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:54

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:54
Uncle Des (Des Lexic), the Donut Muncher lives nearby.

Hopefully he will still be awake and see your post

My RAA Map of the Riverland doesnt show much but there is the Old Coach Road to Renmark. The map however states No Vehicle Access so it must be station property. Theren't many challenging tracks around the Riverland unless it rains.

It is still going to be warm next week. have fun
AnswerID: 149715

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:38

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:38
Hey Roachie, now your the one who's confused. Everytime I see you and I've got the cruiser, your the one who is salivating.
FollowupID: 403132

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:08

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:08
Just getting ready to SPIT mate.....hahahahaha
FollowupID: 403170

Reply By: goff - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:58

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:58
Hi Trevor.
I did a trip out that way a couple of years back. I turned left Just out of Burra, went through the stations and was going to go right through to dangalli but had a bit of car trouble and had to head for the black top, which brought me out just past Morgan. To tell you the truth there is not much out there especially when it's bloody hot. You might be better of going for a drive through the Murray Sunset National Park. Its a bit more of a drive but well worth it, at least you have the river to cool of. You can download a map from the Vic parks website
Regards Goff.
AnswerID: 149718

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor M (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:09

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:09
Thanks Goff,

initially thought Murray Sunset would be too far but looking at the map if I duck down to Loxton it's not actually that far. Can you or anyone recommend any particular tracks if I only have a few hours to wander around in the top left corner of the park?

Trevor
FollowupID: 403007

Follow Up By: goff - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:39
trevor the park has two sections if you go early one morning(i know thats a bit hard with the kids in tow) through Renmark towards mildura then turn left roughly 18km past the border onto wallawalla track then you will come to the old mail route, turn left, go a short distance then turn right at the sign where it says lindsay island. Follow the main track to a place called Broken back bridge there is some nice spots there or if you have time go on to lock seven.
Regards Goff.
FollowupID: 403017

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:03

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:03
Yawn!!! I'm awake now. It's going to be around 43 Sat and Sunday. Those tracks are more interesting in winter when the grass is greener. Damn hot and dry at the moment.
You could do a drive up to the Old Customs House out on the Murtho Road then have a look the view at Headings Cliff back towards Renmark and back into Paringa to have a look at the Loch. It's all bitumen unless you take the Lindsay Point Rd heading East to the Border Track and follow it down to the highway. All possible in a sedan. If you cross the main Highway, you could do a bit more of the Border Track to say the Taplan Gate and head back into Loxton. Road isn't too challenging but a little rough and corrugated. The sanddunes being dry will be fairly soft and I wouldn't try them in your car.
The tracks at the back of Barmera will take you through low salt bush scrub and nothing worth looking at.
The old Wentworth Rd has a few diversions heading back down to he river that can be interesting but too many to give accurate directions
I won't be around over the weekend but have good fun anyway.
If you hired some canoes from a bloke at Barmera, kids would have more fun paddling around Chambers Creek. He is just up from the camping shop on the Southern Side of the Highway.
AnswerID: 149737

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor M (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:35

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:35
Thanks DL,

I think you misread my post, I will be in a Patrol not a sedan. I was saying I wasn't interested in tracks that were dirt roads you could do in a sedan.

Will be next Wednesday that I am looking at. I have to work at Kingston On murray Monday and Tuesday Morning and looking at having the kids come up on the bus from Adelaide Tuesday. Camping on a private block on the riverfront Tuesday and Wednesday night nearby.

You are in Berri if I am not wrong? Member message me if you want to drop by for a drink or something Tues or Wed night and I can give you directions. I acknowledge a tribe of kids will probably put you off.

Trevor
FollowupID: 403033

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:28

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:28
Just read your reply to mine after MMing you sorry about the confusion.
I'll MM you back with a phone number.
FollowupID: 403108

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:50

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:50
Quote:
" sorry about the confusion"............RAOFLMAO.....that's a constant way of life for you Des, isn't it?????????
Note to Trevor...........watch him mate; he couldn't afford a Nissan and drives a cruddy ol' 50 series blandcruiser. Everytime he sees me he tries to pinch my Nissan (and mine isn't an expensive, plush Ti like yours). Just be aware he'll do just about ANYTHING to get your Patrol off you!!!!!

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 403112

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor M (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:54

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:54
Thanks for the advice Roachie, I'll be careful.

Mine might be a Ti but I gather yours still has more accessories!

Trevor
FollowupID: 403113

Sponsored Links