Cooper Tires comes to the party

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:44
ThreadID: 29920 Views:3133 Replies:6 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
While the GQ was on the hoist today having a new axle seal fitted I pointed out to my tyre reseller, the small cracks in the Cooper STT's(old style) that were fissuring along the edge of the wheel rim.

"Holy Chit" said the tyreman, " that's not good!!! It means that the tyre bead is about to give way and this could be dangerous!!!" This was evident of 4 of the 5 tyres.

So he immediately rang his Cooper supplier and after measuring the depth of the tread (8mm) and ascertaining that the tyres had only travelled 30,000km, Cooper Tires offered me 5 new style STT's at cost

I am now certain that my set of tyres came out of a bad batch as I had experienced severe scuffing of the outside tread, some lugs cracked and small cuts appeared between the lugs. One tyre had the inside layer separate and I had had a gater fitted. On the up side I must say that I have done some severe 4x4-ing with the tyres and only three punctures in that distance, all nails and all around town

I have accepted Coopers offer and will have the tyres fitted next week.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:55

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:55
Sorry, but I don't see offering you tyres 'at cost' to be much of a response.
It is costing Cooper absolutely zero, with 8mm tread left you should be getting at least 50% discount, as when you complain to them about excessive wear they tell you that the lower half of the tread lasts 'much longer' than the first half!
After my own experiences with Cooper I have no faith whatsoever in their so called "warranty", their own representatives lie & make false promises.
They will never sell me another tyre, using Firestones now, 2/3rds the price & twice the tyre.
AnswerID: 149852

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:58

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:58
It also amazes me that you had to point out the defects to the 'tyre reseller', if he is a professional, then he should have noticed the problem immediately.
FollowupID: 403148

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:21

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:21
You are a bit agro there, Shaker

The vehicle wasn't booked in for tyres but for something else. I just happened to see these cracks a few days ago when doing the 5000km tyre swap and pointed them out to my tyre fella.

BTW I had a look at a set of MTR's on a 100series yesterday(it was parked in the Main Street) and the lugs on those tyres were severely cut and scuffed with small bits of lug missing.
FollowupID: 403158

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:24

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:24
All I am getting at is, if he is a tyre reseller it should be second nature for him to look at tyres, even if the vehicle is booked in for something else.
FollowupID: 403174

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:56

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:56
Its a bit like going to the doctor with an ear infection and he decides to do a complete body check up and tells you that you have an ingrowing toe nail as well.....hahahahahaha

I live in a small country town where the one tyre seller, which also has mechanical services, which I need when I am not inclined to do the job myself. They are quite busy with a variety of jobs going as there are only two mechanical workshops in town. These blokes are hard at it and covered in grime and muck working on a variety of vehicles. They do their utmost to get the jobs out. I dont think they have time to look at jobs other than the one at hand. If for instance, they do see something broken under the vehicle then they will tell one but there isnt time to go scrutinising every little detail. It is up to me to find the faults and get them fixed.
FollowupID: 403186

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:11

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:11
Ouch Willem, those ingrown toenails can hurt, you should get that seen to.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 403195

Follow Up By: Scoey - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:29

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:29
I'd say I'd have to agree with you on this one Shaker - well the bit about the offer of cost price tires anyway. If I found out I had dodgy shoes on my truck and was "lucky" to get 30k out of them then I'd want a significant discount on a new set.

I guess it's all relative but - maybe cost price is around 50% of retail anyway? Hmmmm interesting...
FollowupID: 403198

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 18:43

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 18:43
I would be happy with there offer and I think we would all be surprised at what cost is, Technically the warranty was void anyway, as from the sound’s of it, these tyres have done nothing but hard off road work along with low pressure and we don’t know if this may of contributed to there condition
(Not having a go about your tyre pressures there Willem, have read about a few of your trips on your web page and enjoyed reading them), but I think cooper have made a fair offer.

I was Merely pointing out that these tyres have not been babied around the place.

I don’t know maybe some of you got Cooper on a bad day or dealt with the badly, but it seems funny how a guy can get a warranty clam on a set of STT’s on a Nissan Patrol that lives in a Country town and has seen nothing but hard out of warranty work, I mean soon as they herd the words STT and where the tyre shop was they could of rejected the clam it right then.
FollowupID: 403212

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:35

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:35
Just need to clarify something.

The tyres had NO Warranty from the date of purchase

I and my tyre bloke did not make a claim but asked Cooper what they could do about it after an explanation of the situation and the condition of the tyres.

Cooper Tires offer is purely Goodwill

I would like to thank them for their offer, which I have accepted.
FollowupID: 403255

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:43

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:43
As a matter of interest, why no warranty?
Was it because the Cooper warranty applies only to Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane metro areas?
FollowupID: 403256

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:55

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:55
Yes Shaker, as you have stated. Warranties only apply to metro areas and I think only to A/T and ST tyres in those areas.

There is of course an implied warranty under State law, I think, against faulty manufacturing. Not sure how that works.
FollowupID: 403259

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:29

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:29
Yes, they never could explain why an offroad tyre was only warrantied in metro areas. The poster promoting the "warranty" has one of the Leyland brothers beside a vehicle covered in red dust on an unmade track ......... funny that!
FollowupID: 403269

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:57

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:57
G'day Willem
Lucky they lasted until now. Glad to see Cooper looked after you - I've used Cooper tyres (or should that be tires) for many years and have never had a problem re after sales service. My old STTs are still going strong after about 40K kms. Admittedly I did rip off one lug quite a while ago but that was my fault and I doubt any other brand would have fared better in the circumstances. Bet you'll be glad to have newies on there. Those new STTs look good. BTW - if you're willing to reveal the cost price of a STT it would be much appreciated.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 149853

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:02

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:02
I don't understand how Cooper tyre owners have become so brainwashed as to think it's ok to rip off edge lugs. We never hear of other brands ripping off lugs!

And, YES I do have an axe to grind, I won't accept being lied to & being given false promises!
FollowupID: 403151

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:23

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:23
Shaker I don't have Coopers, but have torn lugs off BFG's over the years.

I don't have BFG's anymore either.
FollowupID: 403160

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:24

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:24
Hi Moose

If you email me through my website below I will let you know what price they have let me have them at. I assume it is their cost. If not then it is could be below cost

My tyres had no Warranty on them

Cheers
FollowupID: 403161

Follow Up By: Shawn - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:29

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:29
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Shaker.
The tyre dealer I went through explained the problem (lugs ripped off) on 3 of my ST's after 2 months of use to Coopers on the phone.
He got me 4 new replacement ST tyres.
I think it has much to do with the seller and how they get on with Coopers as well as the sellers customer relations.
Cheers
Shawn
FollowupID: 403163

Follow Up By: Utemad - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:06

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:06
I've torn lugs off BFGs but they were all terrains and I was using them in sharp rocky country. I now use my MT/Rs in the same area on the exact same tracks and have suffered only one sidewall scrape. No chipping to the MT/Rs whatsoever. STs are also an all terrain tyre. All terrains are a compromise. I'd expecting chipping when used in areas such as these.

I'd buy BFG A/Ts again. I just wouldn't use them where I know they are not meant to be used.
FollowupID: 403323

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:24

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:24
Out of curiousity Willem what is the "cost" price of these tyres. Should give us all an indication of the mark up the retailers have on tyres.
AnswerID: 149858

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:27

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:27
Hi Hughesy

As I said to Moose above. Email me and I will tell you the deal I was offered. I do not want to set it as a benchmark here on an open forum
FollowupID: 403162

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:26

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:26
Good on you Willem for not putting the price here on the forum, the mark up on any product is nobody's business but the wholesalers & the retailers.
FollowupID: 403175

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:09

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:09
This sort of information should *not* be in the public domain, but don't be surprised if "cost price" was around (or less than) 50% of retail - markup does NOT equal profit. Businesses are bloody expensive to run.
FollowupID: 403194

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:12

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:12
So what was the cost price Willem? U can mem mess me if you like
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 149877

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:24

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:24
No Bonz...You can MM me if you are so inquisitive....LOL

BTW I assumed it was at cost. But I don't think that a business would sell a product for below cost.
FollowupID: 403197

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:20

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 17:20
The cost should not be made public info. Most of you think the dealers are ripping you off. Think of the cost of equipment to change these tyres. Tyre Changer up to $10,000 to change alloy wheels without damage. Balancer $8,000 to 12,000 for alloys. With out wages stocking markup ect. Making a income not millionaire status.
Yes I am a dealer
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 149880

Follow Up By: Eddy - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 18:01
Hi Charlie,

I agree with you 100% about business costs versus profit (won't talk about GST either!)

Not all of us think every business is out to rip us off though.

Why not become an EO sponsor\advertiser and give discounts via the members rewards program, can't hurt your business.

Eddy

FollowupID: 403199

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 19:44

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 19:44
Hi Charlie,

Having been in business for 15 years I also know that markup is not the same as net profit.

Most people who work for wages have wage mentality, which reflects itself in a thought process that businesses all "rip off customers", should offer discounts to whoever asks, are generally there to finish up with a lower ncome than a wage earner. Wage mentality says it's perfectly OK to take a sickie, because the boss is rich and a b@stard anyway, and why isn't the shop open at midnight so I can try and get the tyre I abused replaced for nothing, since the business owner is rich anyway, etc, etc.

I know all about wage mentality because I used to have it, and it was probably the hardest thing I had to get rid of.

Willem is happy with his treatment and wrote on the forum to express his satisfaction.

Shaker probably thinks Willem should receive the new tyres for nothing and should receive compensation as well......after all, Cooper Tires is obviously rich........and Coopers are the only tyre on earth ever to rip a lug off - not!
FollowupID: 403227

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 20:08

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 20:08
If that's what I thought, that's what I would have posted!
Kindly don't put words in my mouth, I have been in retail probably before you were born, by giving at cost, it is costing them zero.
There are more complaints on the web about Cooper tyres than any other brand, you only have to look at the number of hits any thread mentioning Coopers gets.
We know they have had problems, they know they have had problems, but they duck & weave trying to avoid their responsibility. I met with their so called Victorian State Manager, he agreed that I had a genuine complaint, made empty promises, then when I tried to claim on his promises he denied ever making them. At the time I asked for it in writing & he laughed it off, saying that "it is in my diary & set in concrete" He even told the retailer of our arrangement, who also failed to support me when I tried to claim. I wonder why, maybe didn't want to lose his franchise!
The promise was ..... your tyres are of no value to us, (27,000kms), as you are doing a big outback trip later in the year, use them until then, & get your replacement tyres fitted just prior to your trip. Yeah right!
If you look at my past posts you will see that I nearly always support the retailer.
FollowupID: 403235

Follow Up By: cookymonster - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:54

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:54
Gerhardp1, that was a well put together statement. I've been in business for 10years and a wage earner before - luckily I've never had the complete wage earner mentality as you put it, however I completely 100% agree that the vast majority of people (not in their own business) think the way you've written.
I've tried all sorts of things with my staff and some clients to show them how little our business (and I) make.
In fact I'm absolutely fascinated how many people automatically think I'm loaded because my title is Managing Director.
Most are paid more than me and that's not even equating back to an hourly rate (we won't even go there).
Maybe I should make more money you say. How? by charging more? more profit on our sales.
I'm happy I'm buying and getting Cooper STT's tomorrow for my Hilux. I've been very happy with my Cooper ATs over the last 42,000kms. They're getting low on grip, so time for big bad STTs.
Everyone has bad experiences, the amount of bad posts on this site and others might be an indication of how popular Coopers are.
FollowupID: 403258

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:39

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:39
Hi Willem,

I had a problem with an MT/R when I first got them. Three balanced fine but one had heaps of weight to balance it and they said to only put it on the back. I said it wasn't good enough as what happens when I want to rotate them? They assured me it would be fine after 10 000kms. As it happens it wasn't. So they (tyre dealer) said tough bleep , they are mud tyres and we don't expect them to balance (never mind the other 3 balanced perfectly). Anyway after a few phone calls to the tyre dealer head office and Goodyear head office I had the Goodyear rep come and take a look. He reckoned it was partly the rim and partly the tyre. So he got me a FREE brand new tyre. Amazingly it then balanced fine (guess the rim was fine after all).

So having said all that maybe you should push a little harder. However depending on the cost price you have probably still done okay out of it. I only did 10000km not 30000km.

My MT/Rs have no chipping but they are a 31in tyre on a Rodeo. I am sure weight and tyre pressures have just as much input to tyre condition as the terrain driven.
AnswerID: 149922

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:58

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:58
Hi Utemad

Still driving the Rodeo .....:o)

I feel that I have been offered a reasonable deal seeing as Cooper is under no obligation to help me out.
FollowupID: 403262

Follow Up By: Utemad - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:00

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:00
Yes I still have my Rodeo however I just tarted it up for sale. I get the safety certificate this week so I can advertise it.

Glad your happy with the tyre deal.

However even though I assume you didn't get the Cooper warranty because you bought them in a country area, I would imagine there is some sort of implied warranty. Other companies don't offer 'warranties' at all yet if your BFG or Yokos or whatever fell apart after less kms than expected then I imagaine the supplier would come to the party somewhat (such as Cooper has). It helped in my situation that I told the dealer I wasn't happy before I left their shop when I bought them but I hope I would have got the same outcome had I not done so. Our situation is a bit different as I don't know of any tyre that can go permanently out of balance without having any external damage indicators whereas yours could have been blamed on overloading or too high or too low pressures etc. Sounds like it is a very grey area.
FollowupID: 403318

Sponsored Links