KOT: iPod xtreme airplay2 tx

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:24
ThreadID: 29921 Views:1922 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

father-out-law gave the lovely Wife a 60Gb ipod for her birthday so it is costing me some dosh to set it up for us, but i am confident it will be of great benefit when travelling.
I have an old Sony cassette adapter for a portable cd player but reckon it was designed for a "line out" rather than a headphone socket. Can't get enough grunt out of the car stereo using it. So i have been doing the do, trying to find out what i should get for a reasonable sound quality for my dollar. Ended up with the Xtrememac Airplay2 jobbie, with a usb charger. Not cheap but am hoping it has not wince factor.
I know from previous posts that Roachie had ordered this so am simply posting a link for anyone else interested in a bit of study on the product.
I am heading into my beloved Kanangra country on Wednesday then onto the Taralga Rodeo on the Sunday so will prolly be in a position to give some feedback on how it went. Will be trialling music from Hendrix to Don Spencer, and of course, all manner of sounds from my Monty Python collection.

cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:42

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 15:42
Yes, Roachie's got a bit to answer for.

His initial "advertisement" got me interested to the extent I ordered a "gizmo" yesterday.

Hey Bill. You getting any commission mate?

Seriously, anything that makes connectivity easier to enable the enjoyment of music is worth the effort.

There are not many good solutions around for the cheaper iPod Shuffle, but they are a really good and relatively cheap device to play 'your' music whenever you want to.

Roachie's received his so we should almost have a Quorum of test drivers able to report our findings.

Just wait a few days until I receive mine:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 149863

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:03

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:03
Yes mate, I've got mine and attached it to the dashpod with double sided tape. It works really well. I have the Extreme thingo plugged into a socket that has power on 24/7 (ie: it doesn't go off when I turn the truck off etc). So I quite often just leave the ipod in the truck, playing away merrily (with no sound coming out cos the radio's off). That way I avoid the need to have to turn the ipod on everytime I get in the truck. Also, if you do turn the ipod off each time, when you turn it back on again, I seem to have to adjust-upwards, the ipod's volume control so that the radio will boom it out for me. I think it must decrease/cancel the volume everytime you turn it off.
Frequencies are available right through the range on every second available slot.....eg: I am currently using 90.1; if I hit the + button to change the station frequency it goes to 90.3, then 90.5 etc etc.
Very small, compact unit that charges the ipod as well as transmitting the sound.
As for the cassette gizmo, are you sure that won't work okay??? It may just be a case of needing to press the volume UP button on the ipod.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 403168

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:52

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:52
goodday bill and bushie
do you gents run your fm transmitters on FM2 i tried this as i was struggling to get a clear channel in melb seems to work no prolems

steve
AnswerID: 150034

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:24

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:24
G'day Steve,
An advantage of living in the bush is that there aren't many FM stations. I've tried several different frequencies and it works okay on any of them BUT I do seem to get some sort of interference at times.
I'm thinking that I may have to experiment with the location of the set-up, so that it has a better "view" of the external radio antenna maybe? Where it sits (on the front of the dashpod where I used to have the GPS), it has the UHF's speaker in between it and the external radio antenna.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 406389

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:14

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:14
G'day,

sorry for not replying Gob, don't know whether i was on FM2 or not, just fiddled with the thing until sound came out....he he

anyway, she's a beaut. being able to pick any frequency along the FM band (to one decimal place i think) should be able to work in the city but i did not try that sorry. anyone looking at these, i highly recommend them. the sound quality was great, no static. i had it placed in front of the gearshift under the ashtray and that was good enough position for a consistently clean signal.

kids didn't mind jumping from Don Spencer to Hendrix etc. but it was brill not to have the music skipping, well... the CD player always packs it in on Kanangra trips anyway. By the way, the Kowmung was flowing very well, could not get anyone on the UHF before we got there for a sitrep though. Was flowing at just under a metre, not too fast but with a big hole RHS at the Dingo side exit. Five days away with three of my sprogs, beauty.
AnswerID: 152666

Sponsored Links