Victorian Holiday spots to be closed

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 14:17
ThreadID: 30099 Views:2135 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
STAY HOME, EVERYWHERE OPEN WILL BE PACKED TO THE HILT!

Holiday spots to be closed

Victorians may have to rethink Australia Day plans as holiday spots will be closed because of the bushfires that continue burning out of control.

The CFA said yesterday road closures would prevent access to Baw Baw National Park, Moondarra State Park, Boola Boola, Walhalla, Thompson Valley, Aberfeldy, Tanjil Bren, Rawson and Erica. The public also has been advised to avoid the Grampians, Brisbane Ranges, Mount Eccles and Kinglake national parks, and state forests in the Grampians and at Moe and Yea.

Firefighters were trying to bring the state's main fires — in the Grampians, at Anakie, north of Geelong, and in Gippsland — under control yesterday before a return to searing temperatures and northerly winds tomorrow.

CFA deputy chief fire officer Graham Fountain said the Grampians fire, which has burnt 100,000 hectares since last week, was of most concern. Residents in Pomonal were preparing to evacuate late yesterday as the fire flared up after coming within 500 metres of the tourist town of Halls Gap on Monday night.

Premier Steve Bracks flew to Halls Gap to announce a $100,000 package for farmers hit by the Grampians fires. Mr Bracks said existing emergency relief money for victims would be supplemented by the package put together with the Victorian Farmers Federation. The package would be available immediately and support farmers with transport, logistic and agistment costs caused by bushfire.

A fire burning in dense bush on Mount Little Joe, 2½ kilometres from Warburton, was under control last night. The fire burnt almost one hectare and may have been lit by children.

Senior weather forecaster Ken Dickinson said a change was expected to reach western Victoria late tomorrow but may not get to the Grampians or northern and eastern parts of the state.

He said temperatures were heating up, with Horsham, which had reports of ember attack yesterday from the Grampians fire, facing 35 degrees today and 42 degrees tomorrow.

"When you look at these sort of temperatures and wind speeds that we're contemplating, we'll be looking at hot, very high or extreme fire danger on Thursday at most places," he said.

Firefighters were working to contain potentially threatening spot fires in the Kinglake National Park late yesterday.

Residents were advised to enact fire plans as two helicopters and an plane conducted fire-bombing operations.

The CFA's Mr Fountain said the Moondarra fire in Gippsland continued "bubbling" within its perimeter yesterday and had burnt 12,700 hectares. Mr Fountain said firefighters hoped to be in control soon of the other major fire, in Anakie.

■ Six CFA volunteer firefighters were the victims of a burglary as they slept in a Traralgon motel on Monday night. A thief who entered their rooms at Murphy's Motor Inn between 10.30 and 11pm took wallets, mobile phones and clothes
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snow - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 15:46

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 15:46
Bloody disgusting about the firefighters etc...but as for the holiday areas all being packed out, many Queensland locations are generally packed out with Victorians so I guess you'll get a feeling for what it is like up here lol.
AnswerID: 150837

Reply By: gramps - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 16:05
You guys be careful out there Truckie, Royce, Shaker etc.

p.s seems like the helicopter could have made another forced landing at Traralgon on Monday night. Bloody lowlife scum.
AnswerID: 150840

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 17:29

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 17:29
ya reckon. I've never known any place to be so full of out of the way bush as vic, from large parks to the smaller bush reserves mostly with free access, there are just so many places to go it still amazes me after 18 yrs in the state. No wonder the others are green with envy :)
AnswerID: 150851

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:47

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:47
As I heard it 250,000 Hectares of National Parks closed. There are still 4.5 Million Hectares of NP is still open.

And I haven't heard of too many Van Parks that are closed.
AnswerID: 150895

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:51
It's just too easy Jim.
FollowupID: 404425

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:43

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:43
and out of that 4.5 million how much is actually accessable to people to drive in?
FollowupID: 404599

Reply By: RustyHelen - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:18

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:18
"The CFA's Mr Fountain...."
If it wasn't such a serious issue I would think you were having us on !!!!! But then I have read enough of your posts to know you wouldn't do that.
14 year old youth apprehended for the Warburton fire.
Spot fire at Blue Rock got a mention in the local but no reference to the person seen lighting it, only that a helicopter "passing" was able to fill up and douse it.
Rusty
AnswerID: 150911

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:31

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:31
I heard about that goon and the passing chopper as well Rusty, would have loved to see that one...classic....they should have dropped the bucket on his head..hahaha...what a loser
FollowupID: 404449

Sponsored Links