Sydney to Birdsville Yes or No

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 03:51
ThreadID: 3013 Views:5961 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I want to travel the birdsville track from Sydney. Do I head for broken Hill the first Day. As I would like to. If not were should I stop over night as I have heard some not so funny stories lately about what can happen out that way.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:44

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:44
Rusty there is no way I would like to drive from Sydney to Broken Hill in one day, but then to each their own.
By the shortest route the distance from Sydney to Broken Hill is 1106.72 kms 14:51 Hours driving at the maximum speed limit and that is without taking one break! Absolute madness and a danger to yourself and other road users.

What are these funny stories that you have heard that can happen out that way. I would be most interested to hear them.

Also check here on the ExplorOz website for buckets of information and the NRMA website URL below.
http://www.mynrma.com.au/travel/go/outback_tracks/bir.shtml
AnswerID: 11511

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:35

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:35
Take three days to get to Marree from Sydney if you are in a hurry. Between Nyngan and Broken Hill there are quite a few roadside stops with Windy Loos, BBQ plates and under cover tables. Remember though that this is a major trucking route so there is plenty of traffic. Pretty safe to camp at these roadside stops. The highway also follows the Indian-Pacific Railway line in places and you are able to get off the road and follow the line to find a campsite away from the taffic. There are also numerous farm and station roads to camp on if necessary. Check out old mining tracks or road quarries. Lots of camping or overnight opportunities in South Oz. Just use common sense, try not to drive at night ( animals on road ), and take a break every two hours. Carry at least 20 litres of drinking water with you.
Happy travelling......Cheers, W
AnswerID: 11516

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:02

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:02
If you cant do 1200klms in a day give it away!

I did Sydney Melb in 9 and a bit yesterday inc stopping for food and fuel in 40+ heat from Before Goulburn to past Albury (thankfully it was only 21 when I got home!)!

Depends on the roads, and speed limits, but 1100klms should be no problems... Average 100k's thats only 11 hours.

Depends on how many in your car, and wee wee stops etc...

Depends if your on a mission or want to stop for fotos every 10 klms.

Personally I rather travel at night, cooler, more trucks (I trust truck drivers 1000% more than cage pilots) and less traffic and cops.. But more wildlife to contend with.

AnswerID: 11539

Reply By: Slunnie - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:00
With 2 Drivers you could do the Syd - B.Hill run.
I would not! The main reason being because the stretch between B.Hill and Wilcannia or probably even Cobar is just an accident waiting to happen there are that many roos out there. I would never do it again anyway, and if you do, make sure you get into B.Hill with plenty of light.
Regards
Slunnie
By the way, if you are not used to extensive long distance driving you won't make the distance.
AnswerID: 11551

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:01

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:01
If you do stop - Cobar!
FollowupID: 6469

Reply By: ThePublican - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:00

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:00
Rusty.it all depends on experience and if your on your pat malone or have someone to share the driving,as Truckster said 1000+ ks are easily achieved in a day,[personal best Brisbane to Albury,13hrs not counting fuel stops,FJ1200, 1 speeding ticket at PeakHill;and yes I know is irresponsible,was several years ago,]
Thing is once you get to Maree and go onto the Birdsville track,to real ly apreciate the vastness of the landscape and the briliance of the night sky,the 500 odd ks should be broken up over 2/3 days,,,50ks north of Marree, Clayton station on the right,on the left a small stop over,toilets and a self serve spa,the brightest of stars, then the roadhouse ,if not overnight then a cold beer at least,followed by Birdsville,oh nearly forgot,the c/park in Marree town itself,3 min walk to the pub,c/park has bbq and fire get together most nights.
AnswerID: 11593

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:15

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:15
Adelaide-Perth - 23.5 hrs.
No speeding tickets.... :)
FollowupID: 6544

Sponsored Links