Camper Trailers

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 15:59
ThreadID: 30139 Views:2169 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday guys i need your help. Im from the mornington peninsula and i am wanting advice on buying a campertrailer im after a soft fllor model and have a budget of around 11k tops. what do i have to look for. 8oz 10oz or 12oz whats the difference im told different things about what canvas is best im confussed. Also what suspensions are good (alko, springs, inderpendant ,) do i need to have a big chasis some of these campers i think are to over built with fuel prices i dont need to tow around a ton of steal so do i really need a chasis to be so well built im just after some advice on what would do the job for touring around oz for 6 months then the odd long weekend away cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ferris - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:38

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:38
G'day Macca, Geez you've asked the proverbial question here. What is a good camper for one person may be no go for the next. Before you decide on a camper, figure out where you are going to use it. If you are just doing the popular tourist destinations then a lighter on road model will suffice. if you are really getting off the beaten track then you will need something far stronger. By the way, many of the remote points of interest aren't that hard to get to, just many miles of gravel roads. As for canvas, the lighter the weight the easier it is to handle, but, and it's a big but, it has a shorter life. If you are travelling around, you need something that is quick and easy to set up. If it takes an hour to set up and pack up, that's 2 hours you've lost each day. I suggest you try the trading post and camp shows to see how many different types are out there. Cheers
AnswerID: 151104

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:39

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:39
Yo Macca - Quite a few places around you to start looking - avva squizz below...

Try this link Macca

AnswerID: 151105

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:53

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:53
Have a talk to John Obrien at Obriens off road trailers. He's in Dandenong.

Makes a great trailer. I have one and it is excellent.

Nothing complex, just simple well worked out. Leaf springs, no shockers, no mudguards to clog up, well nothing close to the tyres.

AnswerID: 151109

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:53

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:53
Australia is knee deep in camper makers now Macca - you might as well ask for the meaning of life (that we forumites know - but the best camper for particular needs - now that is tricky). I think it fair to say that most camper users just kept going to shows and caravan yards, looking, talking and racking up knowledge. In your $ range for the soft floorversion, I think you can only look for leaf sprung, full width axle suspension. Jerry can and gas cylinder holders are virtually standard. Storage space will be under the bed anyway. If you can score a fold away kitchen system, and an awning setup, that might be about it....... and a fine time will be had by all ! Re canvas - mine has material around the 10 ounce mark - very common - these weights are durable - the lighter materials would be a little cooler in hot weather (tents can get damned hot) but would not be as tough. Most makers just tell you what they are going to use anyway !
AnswerID: 151165

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:26

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:26
We've got one from Outback Canvas/Campers in Carrum.

We are borrowing the one we've got on long term loan from a mate. We were there the other day looking at their current offerings (in case my mate asks for his back/won't sell it to me) and for what you have to spend you'll just about get one with the lot.

They have a website - link

Dave
AnswerID: 151213

Reply By: The Fox - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:41

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:41
I had a Trak Shak for 9 years and you simply could not beat them if you have kids and ned space.

new probably $23000 plus. Second hand - you could not beat this for value $11300 , but is in Sydney.

AnswerID: 151238

Sponsored Links