Submitted: Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 14:41
ThreadID: 3018 Views:1519 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
400 homes lost, 2 dead in Canberra fires

Crazy shiat...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin- Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:58

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:58
Sunday afternoon - 4 people dead, plus at least 2 badly burnt airlifted to Sydney, some seriously burnt in a critical condition and over 100 others in hospital affected by smoke and burns! I live about 25 kms east of Canberra in a rural/residential area and we were lucky the winds were blowing from the NW, away from us. Most of the fires are now under control but the hot weather is forecast to continue for another week. We have everything 'crossed', hoping it doesn't start up again. The worst affected suburbs have been closed down because of the lack of any essential services. Even the sewage works is damaged, allowing some partly treated water into the 'bidgee' - these are just some of the problems. With the drought conditions and wind, the flare-up of these fires were inevitable. I can't imagine what must be like to be left with only the clothes you are wearing?
AnswerID: 11545

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:41

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:41
Colin, that's where I live! Off Norton Rd. House is unattended today so I am keeping an eye on developments. We have a bore and a generator on standby. Not much use if no one home though.
FollowupID: 6489

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:44

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:44
Been thinkin about that Colin, I know that Aus.motorcycle newsgroup are planning a bike ride with donations to Canberra.... NSW, Vic Qld and SA, and planning to arrive at the same time.

Maybe time for the 4wd community to do something similar. We could do with the good publicity..

Im in, we got lots of clothes that IM sure we could do with out for a while.
AnswerID: 11558

Follow Up By: Member - Colin- Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:04

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:04
I think the situation Re. donations etc is under control, although the charities like the Salvos etc could always do with more. Radio reports yesterday were asking for containers with/for ice - and would you believe underwear. So get those 'crusties' off - no really if someone is thinking of doing something it would be best to contact the relevant people. www.canberraconnect.act.gov.au has a lot of info and Canberra ABC radio 666 AM is repoting on the fires continuously.
FollowupID: 6508

Sponsored Links