Flinders base

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:03
ThreadID: 30281 Views:1570 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

Planning to be in the Flinders mid Aug for about 7 to 10 days.
I am looking for suggestions for a good base camp.
Hoping to do day trips and some of the treks.
We can be fully self sufficient for that entire time if need be.
Will be comming in from the North if thats of any help.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:47

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:47
Hi Wim

I would suggest Warraweena Station.

You can arrange for a secluded private camp if you wish, at a nominal cost. There are now 6, 4x4 tracks on Warraweena and neighbouring stations ranging from mild to moderately difficult (in my opinion). When you are staying there the cost of some these tracks are discounted and others are free to use.

From Warraweena it is a short distance to access the rest of the tracks in and around the Flinders Ranges.

Go to www.warraweena.com for further info or ring Stony Steiner on 08 86752770

I have no financial interest in Warraweena

Cheers mate
AnswerID: 152023

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:55

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:55
I second that one Bro and Wim. Warraweena is teriffic for the tracks and it's proximity. Not far down from the Strzeleki Track either for you Wim.
FollowupID: 405590

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:05

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:05
G'day Bro

How are you? Have you had enough tennis yet LOL

Life is busy here in the sticks. As long as I follow the orders my presence is tolerated...hahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 405591

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:52

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:52
Willem.

Thanks for that.
Given that we are looking at mid Aug, do you think it will be very busy?
What sort of traffic volume do you get in the Flinders out of school holiday time?

Hi John.
Sounds like you know the area. The tracks want be too hard on the tojo will they? ;-)

Regards

Wim
Camper setup
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 405595

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:14

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:14
Wim,

I don't know the area as well as Willie does but have spend several days at Warraweena. Willie has written the track notes there which whilst being perhaps different in substance to the ones at SkyTrek are comprehensive enough to let you knw where you are. The Suicide Track may be hard on the nerves rather than the Tojo. Make sure the tryes are good.

I loved some of the tracks there that are really quite narrow heading up creek beds and round the trees and creek crossings short enough that you could hit front and back. Some are a lovely quiet spot to work through and some large potential torrents in a storm.

Bro,

One day of tennis is enough for me for a while like that, even though I can enjoy the Davis Cup for three days. That is a bit more social I guess too though. I suffer a hard bottom I think and knees don't like being bent all day either that sharply. The stadium management thinks that you need cup holders on the back of the seat in front. That just means I am less friendly with the lady in front of me as I hit the cupholder with me knees all the time. Really those cup holders are for the ill-organised.

Tolerated eh? Welcome to the real world they say. LOL
FollowupID: 405625

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:48
We have camped at Mt Chambers Gorge a number of times now.

If you turn off the Strez just before Mt Hopless station approx 25.5k after Montecolina Bore (nice spot for a rest) and follow signs to Arkaroola, Balcanoona, Copely. Continue on past Balcanoona and turn west at Teatree Outstaion (30.51.297 south 139.19.738 east aprrox). From this turn it is approx 22kms to the Chambers Gorge turn off which is signposted. Follow this road into the creek bed for about 9km. You will come to a sign, "No Vehicles Past This Point" up a steep track to the left just before this sign is a good spot to camp. See my gallery for a couple of pics.

It is protected from the wind, a little anyway. It is very pretty and not too far from a lot of the popular places. Day trips to Arkaroola, Blinman and Wilpena are possible, but don't waste time in the morning particularly if going to Wilpena.

I have also heard good things about Wirrealpa Homestead. As I think about it though, it might be better to think about what you want to see and plan to use a couple of base camps. See one area and then move to a second base to see the rest.

In 7 to 10 days you should be able to have a good look around. Oh and in August, take a jumper or two.

Duncs
AnswerID: 152029

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:56
Duncs.

All good stuff.
Will take your advice re the winter woolies.

Regards

Wim
Camper setup
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 405598

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:28

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:28
Warraweena is certainly an interesting place with good tracks but depending what you want, eg plenty of sightseeing and different tracks, then there are several more central places in the Flinders. Waraweena is North Flinders and is isolated in comparison to the central Flinders. Consider the following; Rawnsley Park Station, Merna Mora Station, either of the two caravan parks in Hawker. This gives you the opportunity to go South to some of the good tracks around Quorn and Orrorroo as well, depending on how much time but 10 days gives you plenty of opportunity if centrally located. Both the properties mentioned have good tracks and plenty of sightseeing and it is an easy run to Blinman and into some of the PAR's around that part of the Flinders. Equally you could do a run to Arkaroola and the Gammon Ranges. Lots to see and do but you need to do a solid map recon in the first instance. Get a copy of the RAA Flinders Ranges map which shows all the private tracks and PAR's as well. It gives you all the necessary contacts and the websites for most are easily accessible. You have plenty of choice so can plan for a few longer trips and some short ones out of Hawker. For example Sky Trek on Willow Springs is a good day and you can do Chace Range or Arkapeena Scenic Adventure in a day as well. Merna Mora offers some good sight seeing and two quite good day trips as well. In amongst all of that you could do a long run up to Blinman, visit a couple of the PAR's then to Arkaroola and back to Copely and drop in on Stoney at Warraweena over about four to five days of easy travelling.

Enjoy the experience

Rob
AnswerID: 152302

Sponsored Links