Where to go - lots of families

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:35
ThreadID: 30440 Views:2737 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Well for a couple of years now (because of children being born) my friends and I have been contemplating a trip in Mid 2007 for a duration of a couple of weeks. We are all from Adelaide, all with 4wds, all with kids at least 12 months (or will be at the time of the trip)

We were thinking about a trip up as far as Birdsville, up the tracks, but not doint the Simpson thing. We would be prepared to bush camp for a couple of nights at a time but then be able to do the washing/bathing thing at CPs intermittently.

I personally would love to camp somewhere for at least a couple of days (probably Coopers Creek) for some yellowbelly and yabbies.

My question is, has anyone else done this sort of thing with children ranging from 12 months to 3 yrs, and what sort of problems did you encounter. I am thinking about afternoon sleeps (hot in CT), flies, kids wanting to go into the creek etc.

Also, has anyone else ever done a trip in a similar situation to a different location accessible from Adelaide (2 week trip) like the Vic High Country, Blue Mountains etc that would be more suitable (not as dry/dusty/hot/more grassy etc)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

D-Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:48

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:48
WE have done many trips with the kids very young the only ones who seem to get worried are the parents the kids adapt to any thing.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 153088

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:12

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:12
D-Jack,
We havent done anything as far away or for as long as what youre contemplating. Im sure there are plenty here who have.
We took our kids camping from about 3 months, now 4&6.
Sleeping in a tent was a waste of time due to the warmth or light. We would go for a drive if they really needed a snooze.
I reckon the biggest hassle was the bottle sterilising thing and all the extra stuff you need.
We avoided camping anywhere near water for all the obvious reasons, still are cautious.
At least at that age theyre not asking 'are we there yet'.
My kids just love camping now and are always asking about thier next trip.
Dean
AnswerID: 153106

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:15

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:15
It is hard to say what another group would like.

We took our kids away from very early age. Small ones tend to sleep while travelling and you have to stop occassionally to just let the kids run around. Once ours got to school age we rarely camped right on water for safety purposes but this is only a phase and after awhile they will look after each other around water.

Early morning is the trap for very small children as they may rise before you do and wander off. This was never a problem for us but it sure made us wary. Kids learnt early that they must not wander alone or go near water.

Out west they also have to learn that bore water can be hot.

You will enjoy sharing your travels and camps with your children and the more they do the less things like travel sickness become problems. I can only encourage you to take the kids away with you.

Maybe a simple track loop such as up the Birdsville Track, over through Cordillo Downs - Dig Tree to Innaminka and then back down the Strezlecki would make a good trip and there are bores etc for water, washing and CPs at Maree, Birdsville etc as the biggest problem is little kids get clothes very dirty very fast.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 153129

Reply By: Carlin - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 15:18

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 15:18
I hear what you are saying! We have camped and 4wd heaps ourselves before kids and our babies (10 months and 23 months) have camped alot on weekends but I am still nervous about our gulf trip for 5 weeks! The way I am dealing with my nervousness is we are camping as much as we can on weekends at the moment so when we go away in May for the big trip the babies should be used to it and I will have more ideas of how to handle different aspects of camping life! I hope. I think the other response is so true ..... I am the nervous one... the babies will be fine.

Carlin
AnswerID: 153358

Sponsored Links