Swap'n'go, or own your own?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:24
ThreadID: 30459 Views:3693 Replies:15 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I notice some posts in the past regarding the (dis)advantages of swap'n'go bottles. I have two 4kg bottles on my camper and we are heading of on the six month excursion in the second half of this year.

Question is, am I better off hanging on to my own bottles and getting them refilled or should I get swap'n'go bottles? Several people have told me that finding gas refillers is becoming harder, with most servos now being forced to go for the swap'n'go bottles. I also believe that many refillers won't touch the swap'n'go bottles.

Any recent experiences or advice? Parhaps one of each would be best?

Cheers,

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BennHW - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:52

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:52
I would've thought that so long as the bottle is in 'test' there shouldn't be a problem.

Hard to imagine that the Swap'n'go people could avoid testing their bottles - hence they should be safe.

Only consideration might be that you don't know what the bottle has been used for in the past, where it has been and what stresses and strains it has been exposed to.
AnswerID: 153185

Reply By: brumac - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:05

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:05
My family and I traveled for 4 months and had no trouble filling our bottles. Most caravan parks have refill stations.
AnswerID: 153187

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:09

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:09
I think there is a lot of misinformation getting around regarding swap'n'go and the derivatives... I have had difficulty getting them filled and have been shown information regarding fillers being liable for a fine for doing so... We had a fella on here who worked for Swap'n'Go and he discounted this and offered up quite a bit of useful information... Just can't remenber his name off hand, search should reveal it but I guess it comes down to how much reading you want to do... I think(could be wrong, I usually am... ;-p) Swap'n'Go have a supplier list on their website.
AnswerID: 153188

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:38

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:38
Main reason I avoid 'Swap and Go' (that is a brand name; there are a number of companies with the same business model), is it costs more.

I can fill at the local camping store for about 20% less than with swap and go.

They will tell you that it is a safety issue why service stations are getting out of filling bottles. Main reason is staff reduction. Many service stations run with one or two operators on duty at a time. Can't be serving customers and watching security while out filling a bottle.

I think it is a good and simple business model. I congratulate Swap and Go (and others) for their 'innovation', but as long as there is a place available to fill and it is cheaper; that's what I'll do.
AnswerID: 153197

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 03:12

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 03:12
Yea, good practical reply Norm.

I prefer my own bottles as I know how they have been treated and my closest "Barbecues Galore" store not only gives me a prompt refill of my 4kg bottles at a competitive price, but every third 9kg one which I use on the home BBQ is free. Good marketing I think.

I bought my bottles because they have a gauge on them operated by an internal float mechanism. I can see how full (or empty) the bottles are at a glance.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 407187

Reply By: Feral - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:59

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:59
Matt,

Soner or later you will have to look at swap n' go. But there are other players now entering the market. I recently changed a 9kg bottle at Bunnings. The price to fill was only .50 cents cheaper than to swap. The price I paid for the swap was $22.50.

I had previously paid $20 or there abouts to fill.

The other advantage is you always get a tested bottle so atleast if there is an incident you may have someone else to blame!!

Cheers,
Lyndon.
Immaculate Discovery Td5
AnswerID: 153202

Follow Up By: Utemad - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:58

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:58
Well you may always get a tested bottle but how long will it be in date???

My Dad had a bottle that was near new and bought into the swap and go deal. The bottle they gave him was nearly out of date. By the time he finished it and went in to swap it the date had passed. They refused to swap it but eventually did after much arguing.

We never even checked the test date when he first got it.

Something to check when you get one of these bottles.

However as for filling them I have never had a problem. However I only get my BBQ 9kg bottle filled about every 2 years and I use those little butane stoves for camping.
FollowupID: 407151

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:44

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:44
Lyndon,

The "Swap -n-Go" price here in Broken Hill is $22.50 for 9kg and the fill price is as low as $19.00

When I was in Sydney 2 weeks ago I saw a number of places advertising 9kg fill for about $15.00

It is cheaper to refill your cyl. As was suggested above you can use the swap system to change you nearly out of date cylinder for one with some time left on it.

Duncs
FollowupID: 407334

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:30

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:30
I too have found it harder these days to get bottles filled..
Bunnings does it here in Melb, but apparently not for long - even though they sell em!

Went to Big W for a stir one day, asked the pimple headed 12 yr old 'camping expert' where to get bottles filled. His answer was "ANY SERVO".

Told him I'd give him $100 if he could go to any of the 7 servos on the main stretch where we live there and then and get one filled - NOT swapped... he declined but swore blind you could. I asked about return for 100% refund if I could not get it filled at any of the shops, he again declined, not that I think he would have had much choice. Its Big W FFS, you can take anything back! Broken camping chairs are a speciality!
AnswerID: 153209

Reply By: Lyds- Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:39

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:39
I travelled for 3 months and when my 1st 4kg bottle expired (out of gas and out of date) I tried to get hold of a swap'n'go but I couldn't find a 4/3.5kg bottle anywhere. Lots of 9kg though.

As I had a second bottle already I wasn't checking every single servo, but still popped into enough to frustrate me into buying one.

AnswerID: 153228

Reply By: LisaH - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:03

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:03
Matt.

In my experience, Swap and Go is more expensive than refilling your own. Hang onto yourown bottles, partuicularly if you know they are in good condition have no leaks, etc. I did a swap recently ended up with a leaky valve and had to fight tooth and nail to get some bastard to replace it with a non leaky bottle.

I am also finding that the swap and go outlets have all dropped the volume of their bottes, but not the price.

I've never had a problem finding a refiller. The most honest refiller I found was in the servo at Birdsville. Weighed the bottle before and after and only charged me for the gas put in.

Lisa

AnswerID: 153235

Reply By: 1812 - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:45

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:45
Matt,

I get mine refilled most of the time. But have used the swap n go system allways check the date on your bottle and the swap. I have swaped a bottle nearly out of date for one with a long date no questions no extra charge, and also swaped an out of date bottle for one in date for an extra charge but less than buying a new bottle and getting it refilled.
hope this helps, ALLWAYS CHECK THE DATE

Scott
AnswerID: 153241

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:38

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:38
Way to go Scott.

I did the same.

Learn the rules and use them in your own favour.

Duncs
FollowupID: 407333

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 06:18

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 06:18
Matt,

I have found the swap and go bottles the way to go. Simple and quick.
The bottles are checked before they are filled, they would have to be. Could you imagine what would happen if there were bottles out there that were not safe.
I always have 2 x 9kg bottles on the roof rack when I go away. I can't afford to run out of gas. When one bottle is empty, and I mean completely empty then it gets swapped.
I have jet to come across some one that will weight a bottle and charge for the gas you use.

It may cost a little more but I don't always get the gas bottles from the same place every time. The gas bottle I got from Penrith was swapped in Jindabyne. That bottle will probably get swapped in Alice Springs.

Wayne
AnswerID: 153258

Reply By: Ron173 - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 07:52

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 07:52
swap n go costs more but convenient and available, lots of servos stopping cos only 1 staff on etc.

However you can still get a swap n go filled yourself

Ron
AnswerID: 153266

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 14:33

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 14:33
Hi Matt, I have two 9kg cylinders on the front of my 4x4 trailer, I have one in the upright position and one inverted. I use the upright one to run my hillbilly camp oven and my two burner stove and the inverted one to decant into two 1.5kg cylinders to run my LPG mantle lights and my two burner stove. A refill of a 2kg cylinders is about $12 so its worthwhile to decant into smaller cylinders. Australian made 9kg bottles at $39 each from Kmart, no need to have them checked, just replace them after 10 years. I have my bottles filled in Sydney at $18 each. Two 9kg bottles is more than enough gas for the longest trip.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 153344

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:22

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:22
Hi Michael,
I wouldnt be advertising the fact that you use a gas bottle inverted to decant into smaller bottles. It's probably illegal as the safety valves are not designed for liquified gas.
We know it's done but use the "don't tell--don't ask" principle in a forum like this
FollowupID: 407330

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:56

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:56
Hi disco, I actually realised after i posted that i maybe should not have mentioned that aspect. I am not suggesting anyone do this but its common and safe if done correctly. I have more faith in what i do than some of the monkeys that have filed bottles for me in the past. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 407358

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:46

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:46
Thanks for all the advice. The two bottles I have are in very good nick, so I guess I will keep them and try to refill them where we can. The swap'n'go I use for my home BBQ is fine, but I know that the local garage is just up the road. Not always the case when travelling.

Thanks again,

Matt.
AnswerID: 153426

Reply By: awill4x4 - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:03

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:03
One thing about "swap and go" bottles noted on some of the caravan forums is that some of the bottles are of a slightly different size to what the retaining clamps are on the caravan "A" frames and some vanners complained the bottles either wouldn't fit the clamps or the amount of thread adjustment on the clamps was insufficient to hold the bottles in place. It was quite easy to swap the offending bottles for one the correct size but was annoying in having to take the gas bottle back.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 153428

Reply By: eerfree - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:35

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:35
Matt M

Like LYDS I do not think you can get 4kg bottles "Swap and Go" only 9Kg at this stage.
We should also be aware that some of the S&G bottles are marked Eight(8) Kg not the original 9.
eerfree
AnswerID: 153826

Sponsored Links