Honda CRV drivers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:51
ThreadID: 30544 Views:2093 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, calling Honda CRV drivers.........
I'm interested to know where you have travelled and would you do it again in a Honda CRV?
I beliefe it's only got 170 mm ground clearance.
Any of you been to Palm Valley or along the Gunbarrel Hwy.?

I personally only have experience with 4by's Pajero and larger.
A young couple with a CRV wants to come along on a trip and I have a problem convincing them that they should go for a bigger 4x4.
Thanks for your answers.

Cheers and take care,
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:29

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:29
I have a HRV, and have done the Gunbarrel in a patrol.

To err on the safe side, I would say no. Oh, look, they could do it, till it rains, or if the wind has blown the sand real soft, then they'd struggle, badly.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 153766

Reply By: JamieMac - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:42
Can do anything in anything if you set your mind to it but it does not make it advisable (smart). I have seen Subarus towing Jayco type campervans in some pretty steep areas, traversing large boulders etc. To a great extent it depends on driving skill and style but there is a limit to a vehicles capability.

My folks travelled the Gunbarrel about 15 years ago in an old HiAce Camper van. There only problem was that the front shock mounts on the lower swing arms came lose which made for a bouncy ride. Not that I would recommend it but they made it across OK. I am sure that many a conventioanl vehicle has done the trip without a problem.

The CRV will most proably do it but you've gotta ask if you'd want to put it to the test. Ask the couple what their contingency plans are for breakages that could occur that they never imagined. Ask them if they want to be able to sell the CRV one day after they get back.

JamieMac
AnswerID: 153790

Follow Up By: Stuart - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 17:54

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 17:54
My nieghbour across the road has one. He went for a drive in the mountains and crossed a creek that was no deeper than the tyres at crawling speed. Half way across it sputtered to a stop. Guess what? It had sucked in water. We couldn't for the life of us find out where from but Honda said no to a warranty claim. Luckily for him his insurance picked up the $10,000 bill. It took ages to be fixed because so many parts had to come from Japan. I went through Palm Valley several years ago in my 80 series and I don't think I would try it in a CRV. There is some quite soft sand and quite a long stretch of dry rocky river bed to negotiate. Might be OK if you were careful but I wouldn't risk it if it was my car. If they do go, make sure thay ditch the crap road tyres and get something that can take some off road work. The small diameter and light side walls could be a problem on the rocky sections.
That's my opinion anyway. PS, are YOU prepared to pull him out if he does get stuck? and possibly drive a long way to get replacement parts?
FollowupID: 407776

Sponsored Links