Thread buttons

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:05
ThreadID: 30578 Views:2268 Replies:8 FollowUps:39
This Thread has been Archived
I know I am near the bottom of the bottle of red but I swear the thread buttons have changed!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JW - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:10

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:10
Trevor,
I've hit the bottom and I agree. Mind you, it was a $9 bottle instead of an $8 bottle.
Jon W
AnswerID: 153938

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:11

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:11
I have not started on the bottle yet (for tonight).

Yes like magic the buttons did change. One for an update, two to see if it changes the reverse traffic levels (which we pay for) around a little, three because every time I added a new button I used to have to create an image and I have had enough of that.

I have also added an Alert Moderator button so you do not need to work out how to get to feedback and stuff around to send an administration/moderation alert to us - simply click on this button and yo will be taken to a form that will be filled out with the relevant system info - all you need to do is add your comments and hit the Submit button.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153939

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:15

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:15
Unfortunately in Firefox (and IE - does anyone use that?) I cannot open a thread in a new window any longer - Visual Basic perhaps?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 407829

Follow Up By: Member - AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:20

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:20
Mozilla won't open a new tabs with a middle mouse click.

Adrian
FollowupID: 407830

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:20

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:20
Hum,

I just did it in IE - it uses Javascript with window.open calls to do the new window thing - it should be working! It may be a pop-up killer of some fashion that kills the javascript window.open however my calls are made using a relative syntax that should not be stopped by these products? Do you have a pop-up killer enabled? I have the IE one enabled and it does not kill it.
I would like to resolve this one as it may have effects on other functions I am working on. Any additional feedback? Does it open the page at all?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407831

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:24

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:24
Just the same old Firefox I have been using on this site for ages.

Right now it doesn't even remember my login and it certainly doesn't allow me to open a new window from a link.

I suggest you do a rollback.

Mike Harding

FollowupID: 407832

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:24

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:24
Mike,

Found a small bug - just fixed it try refresh and let me know. I had omitted the javascript keyword in the event. IE can handle this but others may have failed. See what happens now and let me know.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407833

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:28

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:28
everything works fine for me. Using IE.

Time you were into that wine David, even with the time difference!

Trevor
FollowupID: 407834

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:28

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:28
Geez Mike why are you using that bloated browser, it aint much better than IE. Use Maxthon for the ultimate browser experience, yes it has tabs and much more.
FollowupID: 407835

Follow Up By: techo2oz - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:29

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:29
G'day David,
I am using Firefox as well, and where I would normally be able to right click and open in new tab or window, I now do not even see those choices.

I have turned off "block popups" etc and it still will only open messages or allow posts by left clicking on the button.

Great work by the way on the site. By far the best I have had the pleasure to visit and certainly the easiest to navigate. (Well till now) ;-)

Cheers

Peter
FollowupID: 407837

Follow Up By: Member - AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:29

No change to Mozilla.

Other links (such as Trader) work fine - middle click-> new tab

Adrian
FollowupID: 407838

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:29

Trevor - I agree. Will not be long......

Mike - Pays me to look a few times - There were three seperate issues with the new window code - IE seemed to handle it automaticaly however the syntax was wrong. It should be fine now - please try again.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407839

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:30

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:30
Firefox blocks most javascript window.open requests- You can whitelist ExplorOz.com- look in the options.
FollowupID: 407840

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:30

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:30
Still no ability to open a new window by right clicking in either IE or Firefox.

FollowupID: 407841

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:33

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:33
Dave- the only thing I can find to fix it is to not set a specified width, height, or other features to the pop-up. Its a pop-up blocking thing
FollowupID: 407842

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:34

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:34
Hang on to many messages at once.

Mike - Have you got the Open thread in new window check box enabled? Does a standard left click open a new window or nothing or what? Right click has gone away at the moment and the option box should have replaced it. Can you simply tell me if this works or not.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407843

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:43

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:43
If I right click on the "View Members Rig & Profile" in your post above everything works as it should.

However if I invoke the forum from stage one and then right click on a link
say "Open Thread" I get a greyed out pop up of "undo, cut, copy paste" etc

Isn't software fun? :)

FollowupID: 407846

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:49

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:49
Ah... come on Mad Dog - Maxthon sounds like something I should use for a bad cough? :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 407847

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:56

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:56
Mike - that is sort of what it is meant to do right now. I implemented a new check box at the top of the index page to allow you to select View threads in a new window as a preference setting (them using the standard left mouse button should open threads in a new window - without the need for right click select.

I know exactly what you are talking about but I was sort of hoping the preference setting was better because you only need to set it and then just open threads and they will automatically open a new window. Can you please check this and tell me if this at least works - Go to the Forum Index at the top in the search area there is a checkbox - bottom right corner of search it - Open Threads in new window - check this option, screen will refresh - then open a thread using the standard left button - please tell me what this does.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407852

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:12

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:12
Mike,

In the interests of making it work the way you like I have created a button to make the old midle and right click operations work as before. This is not exaclty what I had in mind but hey if that is how you used it and liked it then I will make it work that way. The other buttons on the other pages were the main reason for the change so one image is better than 40 so there you go. Enjoy and let me know if anything else plays up.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407854

Follow Up By: techo2oz - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:17

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:17
Thanks David,
absolutely Brill.

cheers

Peter
FollowupID: 407855

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:22

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:22
>Ah... come on Mad Dog - Maxthon sounds like something I should use for a bad cough? :)

Agreed, bluddy horrible name however when you're ready to move on Maxthon is the go. I was stuck on firefox for awhile also but the time came for me to move to the next level.....at your leisure.

FollowupID: 407856

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:42
Yo Doggie,

Just downloaded MAXTHON - what a doozie - brilliant..... GOTTA give it to the "Bowsers" - "Tailwaggers" eh but!
FollowupID: 407861

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:40

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:40
I think the tickbox at the top for open in new window is stupid. Nobody will see it, and no other forum on earth has to do this, so people and new users will just go away since they cant surf it like they normally would.

Not many people will notice it for one, and when your already in a thread, it does no use to have it out on the main page.

Whats the reason behind it?
FollowupID: 407947

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:54

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:54
About 50 positive comments and heaps of requests via email for this functionality. Personally I would not use it and it defaults to off however many have asked and now commented in the positive. So what if no other forum has this - does not bother me. If people want something enough I give it reagrdless of what other forums do.

Why would this have any effect on people using or not being able to navigate the system as they used to or would on other sites? If you do not want to use it do not turn it on simple and then the system is exaclty the same as always.

I will be adding a few new options in the area all of which are optional so if you do not want it do not turn it on. I do not get your issue?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407953

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:03

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:03
The ability to right click on the POST FOLLOW UP button was great. Now you cant. IE OR FF for me - neither works..

While there is a thread with 20 - 100 replys and posts, you can open a new window and while that opens read on, then reply in other window... and have 2 windows going at once... I usually have several... 9 at the moment.

Cause no other forum has it would suggest to me that it isnt needed nor works..

Why would it affect people navigating? People wont even see that tickbox for OPEN IN NEW WINDOW on the main forum page

********** NOBODY SEES ANY OF THAT SEARCH AREA, WHY WOULD THEY SEE THAT?? **********
... They will expect the ability to right click like the other 2093482304982094820394802948203948 forums/websites on the net.

People are used to a way things are done, a 'standard' for want of a better term. I dont know any other forum (bike, car, photography, camping etc) where you cant right click on the submit/post buttons to open in new window.

Maybe a post follow up button and a POST FOLLOWUP IN NEW WINDOW button would make more sense, but not being able to right click on the buttons the logic behind not being able to do it sorta bamboozles me.

... but its your bus, your driving.
FollowupID: 407955

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:08

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:08
PS. Most people dont even know about the Response time option either.

I think its all too neat! ... it all really blends in too well... Dont have an option (maybe have the Search Section with the response time etc in some BRIGHT NASTY COLOURS!), but that is how I see it.
FollowupID: 407957

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:26

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:26
Now I understand what you are saying however the Open threads in new window is for opening threads from the Index Page only not followups and replies.

If this is how you use it then I can work on it. The only reason the buttons have changed is that they are now actually HTML buttons and not images. HTML do not have right mouse actions - I had no idea that people used it in this fashion and so I implemented changes as I did.

I do not give a stuff about 484798324964956 other forums - never have and never will however, I DO give a stuff about feedback there is NO reason to tell me issues in the fashion you have - your first sentance in the last response was all you needed to say - why did you go on about the Open in new window option this has nothing to do with the changes to the buttons. So I was completly on the wrong tangent when I made the first reply because you did not tell me your problem. All you did was tell me how stupid you believed an option is.

It appears that you are asking for the images to be re-implemented for the Followup and reply buttons, this is not such a drama, you are currently the first to comment for these two buttons. I have received comments in the threads above for the Open Thread button AND I CHANGED IT.

I can and will make these changes, now that I know what it is about. I really wanted to go away from images however it appears that it is problematic so I may have to go back.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407963

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:30

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:30
T.

Buttons now reverted to images - I have kept the look of the new ones at this stage however the right click operations etc will be as previous.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407978

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 15:37

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 15:37
thats better :D (from new window while reading rest of thread :D
FollowupID: 408010

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 18:13

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 18:13
Hello David

I think you probably now have all the feedback you requested last night but I will confirm that your new feature (new window) works OK in Firefox and the right click facility works as it previously did too. I _think_ your changes caused a reset of my cookie settings for this site but as I recently upgraded this machine I cannot be certain.

One thing you may wish to give some thought to: when a thread becomes lengthy (many responses) it is very difficult to locate the new followups which have been added since I last looked at the thread. Essentially I have to examine the time stamp of each followup. Not a trivial problem I suspect.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 408052

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 18:44

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 18:44
Thanks Mike,

The show changed bit since last logon is a few days away for members. I already track last logon dates and provide members with a what has changed since last logon however as you mention it does not help with the parts of the thread that have changed since last visit. This is going into members in a couple of days. (I will be showing already read thread parts with a different background color - when using last logon search). As for visitors I will see what the results are from member feedback as to how it is received and then look at my options.

I currently do not track last logon for visitors so there would be a few mods to make around the system, not imposible but I do try to give members a little more, and certainly give it to them first.

To show the status of each thread for each person as you have read it is a little harder and would require a bit more DB space to track the read/un-read status of every thread for every reader - Now this is not that hard a task just DB expensive 1000 active threads, date/time of last read/thread = 8 bytes * 1000 = 8K (approx) X 20,000 visitors = upto 160MB of tracking elements * 40c/MB DB space/Month = $64/mth just for this tracking. Using cookies is another way however large cookies slow things down as they are passed with every request and this also costs in traffic. Again if I shrink the list to a members feature I change the possible 20,000 to 1,100 then DB space is 8.8MB = $3.52/mth. I know it does not sound like much but all these added to the already large hosting, DB and traffic charges force decissions to be made.

Let me think about this some more and I will see what I can come up with. Nothing is out of the question - just has to be planned, costed and installed. Thanks for the feeback.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 408059

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:11

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:11
It must be the red wine. After a bottle, the changed for me too.
Great wine, obviously

Norm C
AnswerID: 153940

Follow Up By: JW - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:29

Wonder what will happen after two bottles????
Jon W
FollowupID: 407836

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:29

Cool!!!

I pressed the Alert Button, and even wrote a note!

Bit like just WANTING to touch wet paint.....

Wolfie
AnswerID: 153949

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:51
My only suggestion is to swap the "Alert" and "Back to Index" buttons around

I instinctively move the mouse up to the button in the top right hand corner and might accidently select the Alert button.

Overall - a great job you doing with your continual enhancements

Jeff
AnswerID: 153969

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:09

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:09
Good idea - swapped already.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407867

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:10

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:10
Oh and hitting alert takes you to feedback with a few fields already selected so it does not do it without you entering some more text so do not worry if you hit it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407869

Follow Up By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:31

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:31
Thanks - That's excellent
FollowupID: 407877

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:35

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:35
Nope, don't like it myself. Makes the bottom of the Post area too busy IMO.

I guess I'll just have to use the "Open threads in new Window" option.
I tried this last night, but because I was used to using the "Back to Index" button, I found I had several windows open at the same time.

Sorry David, but I preferred it the "old" way.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 153987

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:57
All comments accepted but I have only added one button. No matter what I did it had to go to two lines of buttons. It is basically exactly the same in terms of buttons there was 4 now there is 5, Is this what you are refering to or is the the colour/shape of the buttons or I am missing your point?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407895

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:39

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:39
The two lines is what I was referring to David.

Just makes the buttons appear a little more "cluttered" due to the quantity and two lines.

I'll get over it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 407907

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:26

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:26
No problems - I have been thinking of converting the Thread Watch to a checkbox instead of a button but this has not happned yet. Also the Abbrev button could be changed maybe to a text link or something out of the way. Anyway thanks for the feedback, all taken on board.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407942

Reply By: Member - Bware - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:48

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:48
Hi David
Slightly OT but I recently replied to a post about animation on this site and that I don't see it. Do you know of a specific programme that we need to view the animation? We have java, flash, shockwave.... Didn't even know we were missing something 'til a post mentioned they want to know how to load animation!
AnswerID: 153994

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:29

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:29
Bware,

I think the guys are talking about animated GIF images in rig pics. You would be able to see these no worries - there is one with flashing headlights a couple of items above this post. Can you see it?

These animations are created using a GIF animation program.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407945

Follow Up By: Member - Bware - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 14:59

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 14:59
Sorry about the delay in answering. I see no animation. AFAIK I have no problems with animation with other sites or incoming emails.
FollowupID: 408285

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:44

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:44
Here I am a few hours late, my name isn't oldplodder for nothing!

Working fine in Mozilla.

Good one David.
AnswerID: 154009

Sponsored Links