Acommodation for Road Trip

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:45
ThreadID: 30595 Views:1736 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

As you know we are going to Fraser Island in march, and will be driving from Melbourne.

As part of the planning, I need to decide where to stop along the way... never gone to that part of the country before, so I´m planning to go pacific highway and come back the newell.

Other thing that we haven´t quite decided, is whether stay in caravan parks for the stop overs (overnight) or get a room in a hotel/motel... Get´s a little bit complicated with all the caravan parks having reception hours until 6pm only.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Henry.-
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:02

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:02
Don't know the last time I came across a motel or caravan park along the Pacific Hwy that closed the office at 6 pm.

The route is very, very busy and as such most accommodation is available until very late at night if not all night at times. I've actually got a room in Coffs Harbour at around 8 pm!!

What I would do is get a copy of the RACV accommodation guide. As you travel along you will begin to get an idea where you want to stop select a motel, etc. Then phone ahead, this can be done while actually moving using a mobile phone, as long as you aren't the driver. To be sure do it well before 6 pm in case the office is not attended.

Alternatively, get a copy of Camps 3 and find a road side rest stop and camp for the night. It may be a little noisy though.

AnswerID: 154044

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:21

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:21
Hi Henry

I have not done the Mel-Bne trip but from Sydney it's allot quicker to go the inland track. I did that at nighttime there was no one on the road but big old trucks. If you want to see allot of nice things then don't go the inland track the scenery is boring long roads

Have a safe trip
AnswerID: 154067

Reply By: fox - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:38

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:38
We recently pulled into the big caravan park at Sawtel near Coffs and got a site at 9.30pm great park had ensuite sites too and well lit at that time of night...our Kimberly Kamper looked a little out of place near all those huge Bustrackers.

Don't forget to pack a 100 litres of Bushman and also some strudy fly swatters for Fraser In March.

Safe travelling
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 154073

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 14:21

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 14:21
Fox,
We're off to Fraser over Easter. For a treat and to justify taking the 4WD and fishing gear I booked us into the King Fisher Bay Resort. SWMBO has had enough of roughing it in tents, swags and even the caravan, so I had to come up with a cunning plan, so a fully self contained resort room with buffet brekky was just the sweetner.

We agreed the long weekend camping crowd would swamp the island so I thought may as well live it up for a change....and get some fishing in as well.

I'll make sure we pack the Bushmans though.

Wizard
Gold Coast
FollowupID: 407996

Sponsored Links