Coombah roadhouse

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:35
ThreadID: 30659 Views:3871 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Watch with interest with these threads.Great stuff
Looking for info for a trip I am planning for June. Can anyone advise as to road availability from Coombah roadhouse to Yunta via oakvale
Conditions, area, camping, water etc appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave198 - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 20:25

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 20:25
G'day Bob,
you would have to go towards Broken Hill to the Loch Lily T/O (approx 100km from the Hill) then it is straight through to Just past the Quandong Homestead you turn towards Yunta.
I think it is about 150 Kms to Quandong then about 200 to Yunta. Lots of gates to Quandong, none after that. probably about 5 hours travel,
I have not been on that road but have friends who managed Quandong some time ago.
Not much water that I know about, but may be an idea to write or ring the homesteads along that way and ask for camping areas. It's generally no problem if you ask, and most of the graziers have a nice little spot somwhere on there land.
AnswerID: 154374

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 23:21

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 23:21
Hi Bob,

I live in Broken Hill. I have not done this trip myself but have travelled from Coomba to Renmark and it was very pretty. Mostly low dune country with sandy tracks, I would imagine it would get a bit rocky closer to Yunta. SHuldn't cause you too many problems.

Six months ago I would have told you to make sure you were full leaving Wentworth or Broken Hill but there are new operators at Coomba these days and it seems to be better. You could give them a call on 08 8091 1502.

Broken Hill Tourist Info may also be able to help you. 08 8087 6077.

You won't find much water through there at the moment and while some of the property owners will be happy for you to camp on their patch some won't. Please respect their wishes as it only takes one person doing the wrong thing to see lots of properties getting locked up to keep out the tourists, (you & me).

Hope you have a great trip

AnswerID: 154503

Reply By: BobB - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:22

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:22
Thanks for your replies, you mention to contact the homesteads. Would you know there addresses so I can contact them to ask about travelling through there properties and possibly camping overnight on them
AnswerID: 154532

Follow Up By: Dave198 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:37

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:37
I guess you have a map of the area through there. The first homestead you pass on the road after turning of the Coombah Broken Hill Rd is Loch Lily, then Oakvale then Quandong.
Loch Lily address would probably be just 'via Broken Hill' or in fact just Broken Hill.
Oakvale maybe Olary and Quandong would probably be Yunta. Both SA
As far as I know the road is called the Burra mail road and is a public road.
I assume by that name the mail would be delivered from Burra (SA).
You would not need to get permission to travel the road, and you could just call into the homestead as you pass to get permission to camp there.
If you wanted to write to them just address the mail to either the address above or Oakvale and Quandong via the Burra post office I assume. Just an educated guess there.
I always take the latest newspaper out to any of these remote area homesteads when I go there to visit. They very much appreciate a newspaper. It will go down well.Also tell them if you have a dog too.
FollowupID: 408969

Sponsored Links