Pick this Place

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 13:39
ThreadID: 30775 Views:2084 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
You have read about it in the newsletter - some of you have submitted photos and info for it (thanks very much) and now it is running. You will see the animated image in the LHS section of the site that flashes PICK THIS PLACE AND WIN! - So go for it.

The competition roles automatically to the next image after the correct guess has been received. The system automatically checks the answers so you must answer correctly ie. If it was a pic of the Harbour Bridge in Sydney you would have to type harbour bridge and select NSW for the answer to be correct. It does not care about the case but you must spell it correctly. It is always the PLACE NAME and never a reference like the 'bridge in sydney' or the 'bridge over sydney harbour'.

Please continue to submit new items so that we can keep the system continually running. There is information about how to do this on the comp page. Good luck and enjoy.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:52

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:52
David,

This is a great competition idea. It is just another reason to love this site.
Good work.

Regards Trevor.

PS any clues....I'm stumped Hahahahaha.
AnswerID: 154912

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:57

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:57
No I have no idea!

Really I do not want to give it away to fast or else I will have to load more images and comp lines. We are hoping that this system will continue to run all the time. We will just see how fast the correct guesses come in and how many photos submissions we receive.

BTW: The comp is linked to one of our newest and largest projects that we have done in sometime - Called Places.

Keep guessing and good luck!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 408893

Reply By: Pterosaur - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 18:51

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 18:51
Certain I recognised the place - unfortunately, the comp. had the wrong amswer !

: D, : D

PS (off topic) - have you given thought to enabling emoticons on the forum ?
AnswerID: 154957

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:14

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:14
Looks dark and cold and gloomy must be down south somewhere. When I lighten and enhance the pic it looks like cycads and rainforest. Be interesting the time frame to guess this comp. Are you going to list the guesses David so we have a process of elimination? By doing that we will also know the location of similar interesting places. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 154962

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:23

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:23
Interesting call on the listing Rob, I was going to collect the guesses but at this stage I just check them and throw the guess away - ie. I am not storing all the guesses. Capture and display sounds like a good idea but I wanted to make it a little harder, also I was not really wanting to store the data but maybe the guesses for the current comp would be a good idea.

I am a little time short right now as I am trying to complete the Outback Clean up Auction system to be started on Friday and also trying to migrate to a new server (which will now have to happen next week). Let me think some more on the display of guesses.

The comps will run till the answer comes in. There are already 5 sets of images loaded behind this one and several more have been submitted - I expect to run these comps for ever - well at least till everyone is sick of winning free stuff. I have some really hard ones comming up and the prizes are getting larger - based on how hard I think the answer is.

Enjoy - I could be tempted to add hints after a time frame however I have also not thought about this just yet. I wanted to get a gauge on how the system ran to start with. I do not want to load 10 images and have them all go off in one day.

Have fun......

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 408952

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:05

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:05
Rob,

Just added a function to display the last guesses. I am capturing them all now and display the last 10 on thecomp page. I may add a window that will aloo you to view them all if I feel generous.

Thanks for the idea and feedback. Enjoy.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 408973

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:40

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:40
We have a similar thing running in our Cairns Post Newspaper up here, extreme close ups of every day objects. Each pic looks impossible to guess but they go off surprisingly regularly. I often struggle to see it even after I am told what it is so god knows how people guess them. Keep up the good work guys. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 154966

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:04

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:04
I won, I won, I won!

Have the same photo on my desktop as a screen saver. We were up there in January and it was a lovely place to stand on a 42 degree day.

Thanks David. How about listing who submitted the shots? Probably after the prize goes off to avoid skullduggery.

Cheers

Pete

Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

AnswerID: 155087

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:10

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:10
Well done - Yes the photo submitter shold be mentioned - I will adjust this.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 409061

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:28

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:28
Pete,

Congratulations, The falls are fantastic.
My wife took that photo in January 2006. Being able to get behind the falls and look out is a real advantage. The area does not look like the Vic High Country.

I will be back there next week, can't get enough of the place.

Wayne
FollowupID: 409162

Sponsored Links