GPS and LAPTOPS/ NOTEBOOKS

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:48
ThreadID: 30796 Views:2743 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HI guys

i just have some questions - I have an old versa note ( notebook / laptop) its a 233 celeron ( has usb )

NOW -- i am about to move to qld from sydney - and i want to visit friends along the way --- Kempsy - toowoomba and then up to bundy.

NOW - i dont know much about the plug in accessories for the laptop to make it into a GPS - can anyone tell me if this is a beter option - will one lot of software cover ALL australia roads --- or do i have to get new software for each town ??

Or should i just buy a stand alone GPS for $1000 + but then i may get a fine for having it on my dashboard right ( cops )

and whats the general expense for the laptop plug in option ?

Frank
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:02

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:02
A laptop is more versatile, yet cumbersome. You could also use a PDA.

You can get all maps on CD or DVD as NATMAP or Hema maps, etc. and see them either through their own software or something like Oziexplore.

Are you suggsting that you need all this for a trip to Bundy? If so I would just invest in a good atlas such as Hema. Much cheaper.

AnswerID: 155110

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:24

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:24
Hi

This is a topic that has come up allot. Do a search in the forums, but what I am doing is using my laptop with a Garmin Etrex as the receiver and the laptop to show the maps on the screen. There are allot of options out there
AnswerID: 155113

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:36

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:36
agreed lots of options out there.. you get what you pay for. I runa $700 color GPS on my dash (has a small color screen but it wil beep and give you directions etc.. beauty of this sytem is I can also take it my pocket for a bush walk etc.. most incar nav systems are limited to ttaking you along known roads etc.. at least with a hand held you can also go 'off road"
Then when I want to go off road I plug a laptop in and I can use any digital maps on that i want. but it's cumbersome.. try talking to Johnny Appleseed GPS in Brisbane.. they are always happy to give you advice. Tell em what you want to achieve with a GPS and your budget and they will tel lyou the best bay to go about it.. (just google Johny appleseed GPS) Cheers
AnswerID: 155118

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 16:15

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 16:15
Have a look at these articles about this topic if you havenot already. Navigation
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 155164

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 16:49

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 16:49
Frank,

You have two basic options:-
If using the laptop only, you can connect either a GPS "mouse" (ie a gps card that fits in your PC's Card slot) or an "external" GPS unit that connects to the serial, or USB port.
The one advantage of the external GPS is that you can use it as a separate stand-alone unit.

With the laptop, you will need additional software such as OziExplorer and separate maps.(NATMAP Premium on DVD is excellent)
This will give you a moving map feature that shows exactly where you are at any moment in time and you can save your trip (tracks/waypoints) for future reference.

The Laptop/GPS mouse is probably the cheapest option, even with the additional software mentioned above.

A "stand-alone" GPS, such as a Magellan model (only one I'm familiar with) allows you to have a preloaded map feature, or you can load something like DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks for more detailed maps. With this option you can still connect it to a Laptop running OziExplorer, or similar for additional functionality.

As mentioned above, read the articles mentioned by David and the GPSOZ web site is also informative.

Basically, decide if you will ever need a stand-alone GPS unit, then take it from there.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 155165

Sponsored Links