Just Curious

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:41
ThreadID: 30816 Views:2421 Replies:25 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, just a quick question for any or all of you.
We've all seen the stickers on the back of van's,,,,you know the ones---Fred and Mary, Ch 18-----, that sort of stuff.
Well today i saw a different one and wondered how the people towing the van could get away with it.
The sticker on the back said " Our speed 80-85kmh".
Now bearing in mind that the legal towing speed is 100kmh here in the Land of The Sticker God, and a bit more over there in the Eastern Dark, what would the ramifications be, if any, if these people get rearended on a freeway or the open road?
Any idea's?

rick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:50

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:50
Ive seen a sticker similair to that one myself.....

I would be curious to know the ramifications myself, as I thought anything below 30 kays of the limit was chargeable as dangerous driving???( im sure someone will be able to correct me, Im not 100% sure)
AnswerID: 155205

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:47

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:47
I suppose 1 good thing about it is this....when the cops ask u what speed were u doing at the time..u can honestly say between 80 - 85 kms
FollowupID: 409228

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:51

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:51
Well Rick,

As frustrating as it may be at times, there is no minimum speed limit to which a driver must stick to.

The onus is on the driver of the vehicle approaching from the rear, to maintain a safe distance behind the vehicle in front, until it is safe to pass.

Therefore, if the "slow bugger" was to be "rear-ended", the driver of the vehicle behind would not have a leg to stand on, with the Police, or the Insurance Company.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 155206

Reply By: Spinifex - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:51

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:51
Maybe you need to find lawyer to answer that one.

Your quote...."the legal towing speed is 100kmh".....I take it you mean "the legal towing speed limit"

As far as I know there is no minimum speed limit unless of course you are driving or towing in a dangerous manner.

We spent some years towing a big mutha van and at times speeds were down to 20kmh, especially climbing big hills. It wasn't an issue then and shouldn't be one now. In those days I rarely let the speed get over 80kmh when towing.
AnswerID: 155207

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:55

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 20:55
Greetings

Most caravaners seem to travel at around the 80kph when towing on the open road. Some vehicle manufacturers ( eg GMH and FORD) place speed restrictions when towing, determined by towed weight, usually restricting the towing speed to 80kph with heavy towed items.

The maximum permissable towing speed (nationaly) to my knowledge is 100kph. It is not required that you travel at that speed, on an open road (speed limited at 100kph or more) when towing.

The sticker is nothing more than a piece of information, similiar to the UHF CB channel signs. Has no lawful significance.

BUT rear ending a slower traveling vehicle does have lawful consequences. Usually to the person who does the rear ending. Many vehicles travel slower than posted speed limits. All part the daily driving environment.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 155208

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:21

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:21
110kph in NSW where posted.
FollowupID: 409230

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:40

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:40
G'day

Agree. Did some research see Towing Guide

Except for WA were towing speed is 100kph. Tow at the posted speed limit providing the GTM is less than 4.5t

Regards

Paul
FollowupID: 409233

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:03

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:03
Yeah, well....

I'm trying to encourage everyone to drive about 20km below the speed limit in order to totally stuff up traffic in cities and point out what a heap of dingo’s kidneys this whole "Speed Kills" crap is.

However I suspect some of you misguided people out there may disagree...?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 155210

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:11

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:11
Mike, what you may call "totally stuff up traffic" might be simple enconomics to somebody like me, towing a 2.5 ton boat and sticking to a max speed of 90 kmh.
My troopie has the grunt to tow easily at 100kmh but you would have to fork out the extra fuel it guzzles then before I would listen to your comment.
There's more than one side to this and you'd do well to consider all angles of towing before shooting off with misguided comments.

In case you overlooked it, the original post WAS about towing.
Klaus
FollowupID: 409200

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:14

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:14
I think you totally misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 409249

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:08

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:08
Rick, on our Freeway here in SA, we have a sign that says...

No Pushbikes
No Horse Drawn Vehicles...

... and some other stuff, which I can't remember...

I guess that even though there is no minimum speed limit, the government are trying to make it a level playing field.

80 - 85 kmh is no big deal, as long as YOU, have plenty of power, and clear road ahead to pass.

Do I recall correctly, that in the USA, in some states, there are laws pertaining to the likes of BIG motor homes, and the hours that they are allowed to be driven on some major highways?

There are some strange by-laws though. When I used to be in charge of organising taxis to come from Peterborough to Gladstone, and return, with Locomotive crews, the MAX speed limit set by the AFULE was 80 kmh, whilst crews were in transit. The crews would get in the taxi, and they ALL knew the drivers, and told them to FLOOR it back to Peterborough, so they could get 2 extra drinks in at the pub in Railway time.

Hard call, this minimum speed thing. If they want to go slow, fair enough, but not everyone else wants to go slow, and this is where the problem lies.

I don't want do-gooders proclaiming god given rights either, 'cause I know you are full of crap if you do, we ALL get uptight when we are behind something travelling real slow. and we need to be somewhere sooner rather than later.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 155211

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:21

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:21
I dont mind people going reel slow - they are easy to pass and dont take long but you try passing a 4 trailor ore train at 100kpg in a 79 series ute.............. I tried the other day and after 1km I was not even 1/2 past it I ended up having to pull up on the dirt on the right cos a truck ended up coming the other way and i needed at least another 1km to get past. I dont consider myself impatient but it is not hard to misjudge when driving the slowest production vehicle available
FollowupID: 409219

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:23

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:23
I have no issue with people doing their 80-85k's, I start to get a little uptight when they blatantly disregaurd opportunities to allow others to pass (when a clear road and passing opportunities are not present), and just keep dagging along with 20 or 30 cars going banana's behind them.
AnswerID: 155219

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:54

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:54
in qld it is 90k/hr in motorhome towing.but usually i am doing 100/110 where it say's i can, but when in hilly & slow areas when holding up traffic 4/5 vehicles i pull over where i can & let them go past then pull out & continue my journey. just to be courtious i suppose.
AnswerID: 155229

Reply By: apwaddo - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:59

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:59
i think anyone who advertises on the back of their van that they are only going to travel at a max of 15 kph below the speed limit should be taken off the road for dangerous driving! If your tow vehicle/van/ability etc isn't up to at least approaching the speed limit - let alone deliberately advertising you will only travel below it - then stay at home!!
This is from a caravanner who tows regularly and who is concious all the time of the difficulties we can cause others if we go slow and don't move over. There are enough caravanners on the road causing problems as it is without advertising the fact - and i stress again - I am a caravanner that tows regularly.
Ooop s - may have upset a lot of my fellow caravanners with those comments!!
AnswerID: 155232

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:20

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:20
The only MINIMUM speed limit in WA is on the Freeway sytem in Perth.

There is a different minimum limits for the outer right lane (fast lane) than the inner lanes.

Max speed in all lanes where posted is 100kph. Minimum in extreme right lane is 91kph, min in other lanes 81kph.

Under these limits you may cop a fine.

And even if you hit someone up the arse end who was doing below the minimum limit, you would still be at fault. It is your job to keep an eye on the road and travel at a safe distance.

In a Civil court you would have mitigating circumstance I would think but it is still YOUR fault.

Having said that, I'm not a lawyer. Seek professional advice before pranging into any slow moving vehicles!

Cheers
AnswerID: 155243

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04
Andrew, when is the last time you have used the freeway at peak hours? please do so and find out for youirself that what you wrote is impossible to do safely then.
I do agree that when the traffic allows so a minimum speed makes sense.
Klaus
FollowupID: 409196

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:10

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:10
Go the Kwinana Snail Way.
FollowupID: 409199

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:45

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:45
What are you talking about V8..

I don't make the laws mate...just answering the question asked.

FollowupID: 409211

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:25

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:25
Technically yes no law for it, but a cop can still pull you over and tell you to get moving, I also believe that you can be booked for it, It’s not you right to choose you travelling speed that’s what the posted limit is for.

Obversely there are exceptions, I.E towing a big van I don’t think you would be done for this unless you were travelling too slowly and holding up trafic.

What does piss me off is when they plod along at 80 in a 110 zone on a road that has very little overtaking opportunities and don’t pull over to allow traffic build up to pass. You get a build up of cars and maybe 1 or 2 trucks witch makes getting past dam dangerous as not everybody is game to have a go so you end up having to push it flying past doing 170 in a loaded up 4WD, character building yes safe not very. It is rear but it does happen.
AnswerID: 155247

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:46

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:46
2 things .... firstly. thats is not what the posted speed limit is for, secondly you don't have to fly past doing 170kph to get past.
FollowupID: 409191

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:08

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:08
Don’t I, well that’s what I was doing or should I say have done on more than one occasion and got back on my side of the road just before a truck or car/ car’s came around the bend ahead.

So in you view if it reads 110 you can do 80 or 70 just because that is the speed you feel like travelling at, well Ok that’s you opinion on the matter, I think you may have a run in with some cop’s who may see it differently but.

If you have a large van or boat in tow I don’t have a problem but 70-80 when the towing limit is 90 or 100 in a 110 zone and not allowing traffic build up to pass is just rude and dangerous for other road uses.
FollowupID: 409198

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:43

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:43
Exploder, you are a total disgrace & have absolutely no understanding of the road rules ..... the limits are precisely that ... the absolute maximum allowable speed that you can drive at, whether you are overtaking or not!! There is no compulsion to drive at or near these limits.
Your type of driving is the reason that 4WDs have an image problem!
FollowupID: 409209

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:20

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:20
Exploder,

I've seen what it looks like when a d!ck like you leaves the road at 170kmh and hits at tree. The last one looked all charred and the CFA crews could still hear him screaming as they tried to put the car out.

The guy on the motorcycle, who hit the speeding idiot overtaking toward him who thought the trail bike's single light was a car in the distance, probably didn't have time to even think Shi.... before the impact with the bonnet tore his leg off at the thigh. He was probably dead when he hit the road 50 + metres later - he certainly was when I got there 7 minutes later.

I hate idiots like you. Strong words maybe. But I clean up your mess and try and patch you and the people you maim up.

The only likely result from that sort of behaviour is death and long term pain and suffering. Yours hopefully & not someone elses.

Dave
FollowupID: 409217

Follow Up By: MATT.D(WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:51

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:51
Exploder,

"You get a build up of cars and maybe 1 or 2 trucks witch makes getting past dam dangerous as not everybody is game to have a go"

It's not there for an adrenaline rush!!!

"character building yes safe not very"

If it's it not safe then don't F@#$%N do it!!!!

You've probably never been involved in a head-on and I can tell you that you don't want to be.
FollowupID: 409229

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 20:56

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 20:56
"Exploder, you are a total disgrace & have absolutely no understanding of the road rules"> Am I well then, that must tell you how f**ed the licensing system is considering I hold a C& HR-C licenses.

"Your type of driving is the reason that 4WDs have an image problem!"> No I don’t think so, I am the guy you see letting the other drivers in, allow them to merge on a busy road, letting other drives know when it is clear to overtake and am generally fairly polite when behind the wheel.

"I hate idiots like you. Strong words maybe. But I clean up your mess and try and patch you and the people you maim up." Yeah a little, I have never had a speeding fine, never had a accident or come close to having one, never done any damage to any of the car’s I have owned. I consider that a rarity for someone who is 21 and has raked up around 110,000k’s. I am not the problem, people who think they are good and like to push the envelope are. I know I am not the best or even close to it.

I think maybe you have concentrated on the 2 or 3 times I have taken a bigger risk when overtaking, not without a lot of pre thought setting a PNR point in the traffic and looking at the road and conditions, waiting for a clear stretch and knowing in my hart that I could get past.

I have witnessed a lot of close misses on country roads, I.e coming back from my last trip I watched as a land cruiser overtake 2 trucks out of Merredin he was so close to having a head on it was scary.

I will drive to road conditions sure sometimes I will cruse on 120-130 on some country road if the road conditions suite, “yeah that’s speeding”, well I am also more alert to road conditions and concentrate a lot more and I also know I can handle the car at that speed. I also don’t speed around the metro aria and never have and never will DD.

“The only likely result from that sort of behaviour is death and long term pain and suffering. Yours hopefully & not someone elses.” Thanks ill keep that in mind, oh and I have spoken to and know people who have been in crashes and one head on/ side on and they were being tools and not thinking or concentrating on conditions on all occasions. I know a girl who has written off 2 cars but say’s she is still a good driver, well I don’t know about that, I mean you have me the worlds biggest Tool and idiotic driver hear that’s had no run-in’s.

"If it's it not safe then don't F@#$%N do it!!!!" Yes well when you have been sitting near the back of the line and looked on as numerous opportunities for the Car’s in front of you to overtake and they have not, you tend to get a little Testy and the 1 or 2 slow car’s be it a car/4WD towing a large van or truck don’t pull over to allow traffic to pass and nether do the car’s that don’t wish to overtake ether, Rare but does happen, and the 2 or so car’s behind you begin to grow impatent as well it gets a little annoying.

I know you will not change you opinion of me and I am not going to get my nickers in a not because of it, so on the rare occasion I took a risk to get parts some inconsiderate drivers, and I may drive above the speed limit in some situations well so do other people on this forum and Australia going to have ago at them as-well?. There are far worse Drivers out there. But to go all out and badmouth me from a brief comment not even knowing me apart from my identity on this forum I think is a little harsh.

From further down.
Checking with the police in several states. They all basically said.

”If you travel at a speed 20km's or lower. Than the PREVAILING TRAFFIC FLOW...
They can. And WILL have you for dangerous driving. I.E. Obstructing the flow of traffic...”

Ok I am done, if you wish to hold my few brief comment’s agents me that’s fine, I will continue to contribute to this forum, and I hope we can take it on comment by comment basis and not just think oh that Exploder death and long term pain and suffering. His hopefully.
FollowupID: 409407

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:08

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:08
Should have guessed really. 21 years old. An invincible expert. Depending on the state he could even still be on P for Perfect plates.

Exploder,

Your luck in having not screwed up YET only makes you more cocky. The tone of your email is case in point.

Admission of nearly double the speed limit but still happy to say "I am not the problem".

The kid who burned to death thought he was pretty good too, he raced go carts so must have been an expert. He proved that 180kmh on a road 4 lanes wide and no traffic still leaves no margin for error.

Your day will come.... sooner rather than later if you keep going the way you say you are going. That's almost a certainty.

By the way, when you are dying in the wreck the ambos coming to get you won't even be doing 170. Where I work they probably won't even be doing 150. We can, but we don't as we know the result, and if we stack who's coming to get us? Or you for that matter.

Where we are trained to drive in this fashion, you haven't got a clue. We don't get it right all the time either. Two Paramedics were killed in Victoria recently and speed was a factor in the accident. Out on the wrong side approaching a corner and couldn't get back in and get around the corner they ended up in the trees.

What are the risks?
What is the increase in your braking distance?
Do you even know the relationship between speed and braking distance, or what the braking distance of your vehicle is on dry bitumen to start with (without using Google)?
What do you need to consider as possibilities 2km down the road?

I'm willing to bet you are just like every 21 year old student paramedic I have trained when it comes to those issues. Over confident, ignorant & dangerous.

It's not just a criticism of you as a person but also of your age group, and the problems associated with giving 21 year olds lethal weapons in the form of motor vehicles. I wouldn't expect you to be any less stupid than all the other 21 year olds.

I hope you get to see 25, and that it isn't in a wheel chair or jail.

I spent an hour making a statement with a colleague today that will inevitably result in someone just like you riding a treadly for at best 12 months but hopefully 2 years )& a huge fine) due to stupidity of the kind you are advocating. If you are lucky you'll get a similar expensive lesson (that doesn't involve anyone else) rather than a painfull one.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but even if just one of the next times you get the opportunity to do what you have described, you think about the kid burning to death in the front seat of his new commodore and choose not to put the foot down it might save your life and that of someone you haven't either seen or judged the reaction of.

Better to arrive late than dead on time...

Dave

FollowupID: 409443

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:37

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:37
I hate it when people like you categorise all young drivers as idiots, you don’t know me, and are wrong about my attitude, driving and me.

I will still be hear on my 25th birthday, walking, talking and driving> Now that's cocky!!!.

Just remember you comments when your kid get in their car OK.

Oh and for the record I got of P’s in 2003.
FollowupID: 409610

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:09

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:09
I'm still here and I'm past 50 - and probably have a bit more experience than Geocacher too.

Time you looked for another job Dave rather than lectured everybody else on the error of their ways.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 409619

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:16

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:16
You may mate. Time will tell. I hope for your mum's sake you're right.

There are a small minority of 21 year olds that are safe drivers. The majority are prone to lapses of reason that see them doing just what you admitted doing. Then they end up in strife.

I have rarely pulled a P plater out of a wreck yet who wasn't there through any other means than their own mistakes. I've transported a lot of other patients who's accidents were caused by a young driver.

If you don't like being categorised as a dick, don't drive like one. I didn't start this. You did when you admitted to overtaking at 170kmh, and then tried to justify your actions to a forum full of older & wiser forumites.

Your original post and your responses indicate that I am right about your attitude, your driving and you.

Have a think about it.

If you are brave enough and seriously think you can justify what you did go and have a chat to your local constable and tell him what you did and when you did it. If you are right the magistrate will agree and let you off scott free.

I'll bet you don't have the balls, I'll bet you can't justify it and will come up with some good reason why you can't.

Alternatively go and tell mum & dad how you drive...

I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Dave
FollowupID: 409621

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:49

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:49
Sorry Mike.

Only one I had a crack at as I saw it was Exploder. You've made your views on the law as it applies to Mike Harding quite clear in the past, and given that teaching an old dog new tricks has been proven difficult I won't even try.

If young Exploder even stops to think about it next time maybe it was worthwhile.

It's a pretty real part of my life. It gets frustrating as hell seeing young lives cut short, or others for that matter.

I'll get off my bike now. I still hope he slows down.

Dave
FollowupID: 409626

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:36

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:36
I don't care how fast or slow anyone tows the bluddy van but I do care about my and your safety. I do not want to come around a bend and find a carvan wobbling all over the road so for heavens sack tow at a speed that you're comfortable with, move over when possible and don't let any mongrel push you.
I used to tow but I grew up :)
AnswerID: 155250

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:21

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:21
Mad dog
At first I thought the original post was someone stirring the pot (maybe they are ??) surely people realise that the signed speed limit is MAX speed but after reading some of the other posts, I really do hope that they are having a bit of a laugh here ???
If not your words of wisdom are a breath of fresh air in this world of today where a lot of people subscibe to the "Jack" system F**K you jack get out of my way.
Every trip should be about the "journey" not how fast I got there !!!
Keep Smil'n - because we are really not here for all that long !!
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 409205

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:07

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:07
Barry, not stirring the pot at all. this is a real question as i saw this on the back of a van today, an old Viscount with ma and pa kettle in a old commodore.
The " Jack " system as you put it, was how the sign came across to me, and a fair few other people that let go with the sign language as they went past.( I was in the truck, so was stuck behind them for a fair distance). The law may allow you to travel at a safe speed up to the limit, but where does it say that you can do it all the time, and tell everybody else to get knotted?
Thats basically the question i am asking.

rick.
FollowupID: 409216

Reply By: 1arm - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04
Just on speed limits
having just driven from perth to Canberra and back via the limestone coast and a bit of victoria it can be quite confusing with speed limits.
In WA max speed is 110kph without a trailer. With trailer it is 100kph.
As I understand in SA max is 110 kph with or without trailer and in Vic and NSW there were so many speed changes it was hard to keep up.However there didnt appear to be different speeds for when towing a trailer.
Personally I didnt see the need to go fast anyway except on the way home across the nullabor when we saw it all on the way across anyway.
AnswerID: 155259

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:15

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:15
PROUD MOBILE ROAD BLOCK PILOT.

Should be shot..
AnswerID: 155261

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:37

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:37
so do you mean all escort pilot should be SHOT

Slow moving wide load???

Australia is bigger than Victoria

FollowupID: 409223

Follow Up By: Gramps - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:04

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:04
Here ya go Truckie

FollowupID: 409224

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:00

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:00
Unfortunately i know what the law says with regard to rearending another vehicle, but, and it is a big one, what happens when you rearend someone with one of these stickers on the back of their van. Be it comming around a corner and suddenly staring at the van, or cresting a hill and finding them on the other side plodding along. What about when they stay on their speed, yet ignore the traffic buildup behind them, or god forbid, that they should be the indirect cause of an accident. By this i mean that we all live in a fast paced world, and as nice as it is to slow down, not all of us do it at the same time, patience is a vertue that is deminishing every day on the roads and someone will always try to pass where they shouldnt, just to hopefully get home thirty seconds quicker.
For me, the sign came across as " stuff you lot, this is my speed and that's it ".
Whether it is meant like that or not becomes irrelevant, if an accident occurs.
I tow our Jayco all over the place and am always looking out for traffic behind me, i do my best to stay around the 90-95kmh, but i know that i can and will get out of the way if there is somewhere for me to get off the road. There is a time and place for plodding along at 80kmh, the freeways or main arterial roads of our cities are not the place for it tho.

rick.
AnswerID: 155267

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:53

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:53
The speed limit is a maximum. You do not have to sit on 100 km/h because that is the speed limit.

There is no specific offence for travelling slowly. The only real offence that could be charged is "Drive without reasonable consideration for other road users". That offence would be appropriate where some "idiot" was doing 50 km/h in a 100 km/h zone with 20 vehicles behind him trying to pass.

I have seen a lot of people driving caravans pull over when they see the traffic building up behind them. Unfortunately not all are so considerate.

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 155274

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:16

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:16
As everyone above has stated, the speed "limit" is just that..... there is also a distance that you must stay fromthe car in front...... so if they're travelling "slow" and you hit 'em up the rear...... AFAIK you're at fault!

AnswerID: 155281

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:38

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:38
The driver with the sticker should be congratulated! You know that you can safely pass him without breaking a speed limit yourself. You also know that they will not suddenly speed up whilst you are overtaking. That chappie is thinking safety which is more then some of the other idiots complaining about him.
AnswerID: 155284

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:56

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:56
rickwagupatrol

A few yeasrs ago I heard a story of a cop that gave a ticket to a woman who was driving 80 in a 100 zone. The ticket was for "obstructing traffic" or something like that.(ie cop was having a bad day)

The woman had her elderly mother in the car who, due to a medical condition, could not wear a seatbelt, hence the slow driving.t After much community uproar, the fine was withdrawn.

As for rearending someone around a corner of crest - I imagine the rearender would still be FULLY at fault as you not allowed to drive blindly around corenrs. That is, you must drive at a speed so that you can stop with the distance you can see.

I only have a problem with slow people if they don't provide opportunities to pass. Most are OK though.

R.
AnswerID: 155316

Reply By: macka - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:44

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:44
Hi..
I tow Caravans all over the place. (retired)

Checking with the police in several states. They all basically said.

If you travel at a speed 20km's or lower. than the PREVAILING TRAFFIC FLOW...
They can. and WILL have you for dangerous driving. I.E. Obstructing the flow of traffic...

The Highways Etc. Have done extensive testing on traffic flow, and speed limits, on through roads, and motorways. and the accident rates actually go up... At slower speeds. Mainly through frustration...

The smoothest. Safest, Most economical..Flow rates are proven , if traffic travels at ,or close to those limits.. ON THROUGH ROADS, AND MOTORWAYS AND BYPASSES.
Constant flow trafficways........

Town roads obviously don't pertain. With the stopping/starting/turning...

This was a big subject on Caravanners forum, a few months ago. and a few people went to the trouble of checking with the relavent Gov't Dep'ts... Me included...

Several people HAVE been taken to court. and fined for it....

Regards
MAcka17
AnswerID: 155350

Follow Up By: Member - Bware - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:10
What if the prevailing traffic flow is 10k over the limit as it always seems to be on the Gold Coast Highway? The speed limit may be 110k, everyone's doing 120-125k so you would have to tow at 100k minimum?
FollowupID: 409451

Reply By: macka - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:52

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:52
Addendum.

In the states.. If there's more than 3 vehicles behind you, and you don't move over.. You're gone. One Ticket Instantly..
They should bring that out over here...
We travel at 100/110 when travelling with van. (All up weight 5.6/5/8 tons)
Not a problem. ex truckie.crane driver.
If you're worried about fuel costs etc.. Get on the side roads and do your 80km.. You'll get the added bonus of seeing more on the way too.
Macka17
AnswerID: 155351

Follow Up By: nickoff - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:52

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:52
Sorry Macka, but that gets right up my nose. In many parts of this great country of ours, there are no "SIDE ROADS". i.e. outback QLD, NSW, NT,SA, and WA. I chose to travel at 80-90 Kph as it is, 1. easier on the driver and vehicle, and, 2. more fuel efficient at that speed, and 3. IT"S NOT AGAINST THE LAW" !!!!!
I let vehicle pass when I see them, and have had copliments come back to me on the UHF from the truckies, after seeing them coming, talking to them, and arranging for a good passing point.
I don't see why I, as a taxpayer through PAYE and FUEL EXISE, cannot use the roads I have paid for, because you are in such a blithering hurry!

Nick
FollowupID: 409333

Follow Up By: macka - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:31

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:31
Hi Nickoff.
That's fine.. When there's plenty of open clear roads about.
But if you chuff along at your 80/90 klicks, in an area where there's miles of single lane, and hills, with no chance of overtaking. .. You are not so popular with them
Specially near any hills. You need the wind up at bottom of hill, to get up reasonably..
I know. I was one of them for quite a few years. Semi's, Roadtrains and Heavy Haulage (up to 400ton).
This can go forever.
You're right in your mind. I'm right in mine. Neither will win.
Just check with the highways boys ....
and don't crawl along in front of me in the open OK....

Regards
MAcka17
FollowupID: 409602

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 13:30

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 13:30
Yes well someone above made the point that speed limits are the maximum and there are many occasions when there is no way that it is safe to travel at that speed under the prvailing circumstances. Things like wet roads, fog, amount of traffic etc all affect the safety or otherwise of following the speed limit.

The reason why people get upset at a slow caravanner or other slow vehicle such as heavy trucks etc is because they are trying to drive at the speed limit. If people would just drive to the curent conditions, not set deadlines to be somewhere at a specific time and by a bit nicer to each other on the roads we would have a lot better experience. By nicer, I mean pulling over when you are holding up traffic, not tailgating slower drivers because then they are not game to pull over quickly when they see a layby.

Stop blaming roads and weather for MVAs, and blame the drivers who don't drive to conditions, and that involves all conditions including slower drivers.
AnswerID: 155354

Reply By: Goughy - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 13:53

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 13:53
I think there should be a "set Speed" & a speed limit on highways...
If a vehicle, towing or not, cannot for any reason do the "set" speed safely, then that vehicle should not be on the road...
if the set speed is 90k (for arguements sake) and the limit is 110k , there shoud be no problem, I think most drivers will agree that sitting behind anything doing 90k is not too bad, even if you did this for an hour your only 10k's behind where you should be & you have an extra 20k's an hour for passing when you get the chance without breaking the speed limit...
I don't tow caravans, I sometimes tow a trailer & in the td80 its no problem doing the speed "limit", but in the 75, still doing my best to do the limit, i am always checking my mirrors to see whats going on behind me, I know how frustrated I get following someone who is going slower & wont let me past, so I don't like doing it to anyone else...
tailgaters. well thats another story, I would like to pull them out of their car windows by their ears & flog p*ss out of them!!!!!!
AnswerID: 155357

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 16:01

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 16:01
My favourite sticker is on the back of a mates wives car

All men are idiots and I married there king.

And hes got it down pat.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 155373

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:05

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:05
Who on this forum, towing a camper trailer can maintain 100kmh leaving Dargo on the bitumen road?
AnswerID: 155615

Sponsored Links