Robe - Beachport

Submitted: Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:49
ThreadID: 30864 Views:1699 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, my wife and I are looking at going to the Robe / Beachport area over the labour day long weekend. We will be in a TD79 landcruiser ute and friends will be in a standard diesel landcruiser ute. Is it possible to camp on the beach or are designated campgrounds the go. Is firewood a problem? (we can take our own).
Any other comments regarding this area would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Otherwise - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:57

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:57
There are designated campsites. You can pick up and info sheet from your local Dept of Environment and Heritage Office.

Take your own wood.

15psi in tyres when on the beach or you will be sorry

It is a very scenic part of Australia and well worth the journey
AnswerID: 155513

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:01

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:01
Geez, Bro, I thought I was otherwise and you wise. I agree with the comment "15psi in tyres when on the beach or you will be sorry" but even suggest you may prefer to be lower pressure on some beaches where you find tiny shell grit as the base. I know feeling of "sorry".
FollowupID: 409489

Reply By: Rotty - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:10
You may find the actual beachfront is narrow and breezy so best at least one dune back. Some sections between Nora Creina are Nat Parks and do have minimal number of camp spots, most local fishermen tend to camp near their fishing spots. There is absolutely minimal amount of firewood, suggest bring your own. No fresh water available either. Check the tourist info centres at Robe and Beachport, they have a mud map of the track between Beachport and Nora Creina that is easy to follow. Just make sure your group has snatch straps and keep away from the waters edge with the vehicels otherswise we may have the start of another reef.

Enjoy our region and do not make your own tracks through the vegetation otherwise it will give another point for Nat Parks to close the area.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 155541

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:19

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:19
I was there two weeks ago and tyre pressure were as low as 8-10psi a lot of the time, mainly between Beachport and Carpenter Rocks. Mud maps are available from caravan parks. servos etc and there is a lot of concern about people leaving the designated tracks at the moment.
Hate to say this but the only two cars not to get bogged on our trip were both Cruisers. : (
AnswerID: 155608

Sponsored Links