ADEL'S GROVE how long do you need for sight see'ing

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:56
ThreadID: 30999 Views:3320 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Just having a thought about heading up to Adel's Grove for this year's trip so i'm just woundering how long would you need to have a look around in the NP,would 3 day's be enough time to spend and if so is Adel's Grove a good place to camp.cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Banjo - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:19

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:19
Greendog

Others may think more time is warranted but I think three days would be enough.

Adel's Grove is a top place to camp. We remember it as a pleasurable experience.

Bnajo (WA)
AnswerID: 156209

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:36
Thanks Banjo for your info mate cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410419

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:47

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:47
Agree with Banjo. 3-4 nights is fine. I suggest you then go on to Kingfisher Camp on Bowthorn Station and stay another 3-4 nights. This is a magic spot on the Nicholson River.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156215

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:39

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:39
HI Pete thanks for the reply mate,tell me how long does it take to get to King Fisher Camp from adel grove cheer's GEREENDOG
FollowupID: 410422

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:07
I'd need to check the map again but as I recall we arrived there after lunch having stopped for morning tea at the homestead on Bowthorn Station. I understadn that the sisters have noiw sold the property so morning tea might not be possible. Allow a a couple of hours. It's a nice easy drive.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 410510

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:00

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:00
Hi Greendog,

Three days would be more than enough. Lawn Hill is a top spot to see, but the camp ground sucks. Adel's Grove is a nice place to relax and have a swim, but in the grove is very dusty and dry, with fine black dust that gets into everything, I would get a spot up the top.

Kingfisher Camp is a must see, I would spend at least three days there for pure relaxation in a shady, green grassed camp ground. It has a couple of walks and you can hire a boat or canoe to go up and down the Nicholson River. Kingfisher is what Lawn Hill camp ground used to be like.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 156216

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:46
Hi Glenn thanks for your info mate,tell me then Glen were is the best place to camp is it at Adel's Grove or same were else,and what do you mean by to get a spot at the top i now that's probally a stupid question but for same one that has'nt been there before i'm just tryng to get a picture on were to camp if you now what i mean,thanks mate GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410425

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:18

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:18
Hi Greendog,

Adel's grove has two distinct areas. The campground "offers 53 camping and van sites in a spacious bush setting located where possible near native trees for shade. Each site is provided with water, fireplace and bbq plate , but no power" (as quoted from their documentation). This campground is higher up than the "Grove" and a longer distance from the water (although it is a two minute walk to the falls, a great place to swim). This campground has red dust, and the shade differs from spot to spot. If you are going to stay in the campground, book early and specify that you will have a 15ft van and you would like a shady spot.

The "Grove" has no water, fire pits or bbq plates. It is very shady and close to the water. The dust is grey and very fine. We had three young kids with us and it would have been a nightmare trying to keep them clean and the dust out of the campers. Some people prefer the "Grove" but we didn't. You cannot reserve a spot in the "Grove" either as there are no real designated spots.

We had just come from Kingfisher, and so were disappointed with the lack of grass having come from the luxury of it at Kingfisher. I realise that they are in drought conditions, but surelt they can water every now and then to keep the gardens going and keep the dust down, MTCW.

Lawn Hill is spectacular and having been there twice now, I still love the walks and the colours. The water is beautiful, and well worth hiring a canoe and floating up the lower gorge. A swim under the falls is well worth it also. You can no longer canoe in the upper gorge as the canoe slide has not been replaced since floods a few years back. You can do a walk in the upper gorge though. If doing walks, ensure you do them in the mornings as it does get very hot. Carry lots of water with you too.

Enjoy the area, you will love it.

Cheers

Glenn

PS: It took us approx five hours to drive from Kingfisher to Adels Grove. We were taking it very easy and there are a lots of gates to open and close. Just follow all the "KFC" signs and you will be right. The kids thought that there was a particular restaurant at our destination...how disappointed they were when we told them it stood for KingFisherCamp...lol
FollowupID: 410434

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:40

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:40
Thanks Glen for taking the time out to let me now were best to camp at Adel's Grove we are only in the minor stages of planning but reading your reply i'm getting excited all ready,thanks alot mate cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410499

Reply By: eerfree - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:20

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:20
I would rely on "local Knowledge at the time" but does anyone know what the access roads are like between Adels Grove, Kingfisher and on to Hells Gate?
I will be pulling a 15 ft off road van with an almost new Prado.
eerfree
AnswerID: 156222

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:38

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:38
There is one crossing between Bowthorn and Kingfisher that would require a bit of care that the overhang does'nt drag. Same for Lawn Hill creek.

The rest of the track is fine for your size van.
FollowupID: 410275

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:47

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:47
Just take your time and you will be fine. It is only a station track between Adels Grove and Kingfisher Camp, and then a one lane station track from Kingfisher to the Savanah Way. From the turnoff to Hells Gate is an easy run.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 410277

Follow Up By: footdoc - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:02

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:02
Have done this run last year with an off road camper (Track Eagle) and it was both easy and enjoyable. Kingfisher is well worth a couple of days if you have the time. Did experience the biggest grasshopper plague I have ever encountered whilst in this area - they were grasshoppers and not locusts 10-12cm long. Kids had a ball !! Good luck.
The Foot Doctor.
FollowupID: 410453

Reply By: Raymond from Wanderin 4 Wheelers - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:02

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:02
Hi Greendog

We camped at Lawn Hill last year and the camping was fine, the ranger kept the dust down with water each day and we had a great time 2-3 night is fine and then as they said go on to Kingfisher another great spot. The road was fine, just a farm track but the van should have no proiblems just take through the river crossings

Ray
AnswerID: 156225

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:49
Hi Raymond thanks for your reply mate sounds like King Fisher Camp is another spot to vist cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410426

Reply By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:54

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:54
G'day Greendog, Yeah not a bad spot, there is a hell'ava lot to see in that neck of the woods. If the place is still open for camping(free) can I suggest Gregory River Downs. Camping on the river there is fantastic, no toilets when we were there but it's only a short walk across the river to the caravan park or the roadside toilets, there is also the pub, great meals and a beer after a days sight seeing! .
It's only about 2hours (from memory) to Adeles Grove and the campground when we were there was being redeveloped. If you are up that way don't miss Leichhardts Falls, if it's dry all good and well but when you look at them and imagine flooding it's a grand view. There are crocs!!
AnswerID: 156238

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:54

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:54
From all these reply's Andy sound's like that area is a must see and alot to see i have heard Gregory Downs is another top spot to stay as well,thanks mate for your info cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410427

Reply By: Member - John (Bathurst) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 14:53

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 14:53
We spent a week camped at Lawn Hill NP in Aug last year . We had a Pota-boat and spent quite a lot of time on the water or swimming ,Walkes are best done in the early morning or late afternoon.Had a look at Adels Grove very dusty and dry.
We would love to go back and would stay at the NP again

Have a great trip

Ann {John 's Cook}
AnswerID: 156262

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:59

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:59
Thanks John it's great i got so many reply's, it just helps so much to plain your trip alot better sounds like King Fisher is a must see place as well cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410428

Reply By: RustyHelen - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:06

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:06
We stayed at Adels down the camp ground in Sept 05. Glad we did. Hot as hades but we were under the shade and near the water so enjoyed it.
We were 3 nights and that was plenty as it was too hot to do lots of walks.
Road in thru Lawn Hill station was fine. Very interesting we thought. Lots of stops to look at "stuff"
We didn't get to Kingfisher.
Savannah Way from Boroloola to Doomadgee was extremely rough at that time. 40 ks/hr was common going. So rough we turned of at Doomadgee rather than go up through Bourketown.
Lots of people camping at Gregory Downs, where I understand there is a sign saying no camping or low impact camping only but not policed apparently.
AnswerID: 156338

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:01

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:01
Thanks Rusty Helen for your reply cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410429

Reply By: eerfree - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:07

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:07
Thanks Greendog for opening the thread and thanks to all the posters for replies,we will be in that area late June.

eerfree
AnswerID: 156352

Reply By: ellen m - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:53

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:53
i agree with eerfree...thanks greendog.

We will be over that way leaving cairns in june,l booked into karumba for a month fishing end of july and thought we might spend some of the time at kingfisher camp and adel's grove before hand.

has anyone got an e-mail contact for kingfisher? i have tried 2 different ones and had no reply. Also does anyone know if they allow dogs?

thanks again greendog...maybe we will see you there. I'm ellen, husband is greg, 4 yr old son is adam and dog is daisy. we will be in a white troopy with a koala kamper and boat.

ellen
AnswerID: 156462

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:00

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:00
hi ellen we do'nt know for sure on a departure date yet,but i have a copy of this thread so if it works out about the same time were both in the area i'll keep my eye out for you all,and i'm yet to get an email ad for KFC ,i'm going to the camping show this weekend maybe same one can help me out there with an email ad,thanks for the reply cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410698

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:44

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:44
Hi Ellen and Greendog,

have you tried the Bowthorn website, http://www.bowthorn.bigpondhosting.com/location.html, the email addy is probably not correct as the McGinnis family no longer own the property, infact when we were there last year [with Glenn] it had only just changed hands, the caretaker told us that the new owners intended for the camp to remain open all year as long as you could get in you were welcome.

It's well worth the visit it's beautiful.

Lyn
FollowupID: 410709

Reply By: Member - Tim - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:28

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:28
Hi Greendog,

We were up there in June last year. Aboslutely beautiful place. We stayed at Adels Grove, up the top and had a good spot. The creek was one of the coldest swims I have ever had but once you were in for about 10 secs you could not feel a thing so it was very refreshing. They run some tours from there that I think are worth taking - we went with them to the Riversleigh Fossil field and I think they also run some into Lawn Hill though we didn't go on that. If you are lucky they will have the paleontologists from the fossil field staying at Adels and they did a talk one night that was also very interesting. The walks in Lawn Hill are fantastic and the colours just stunning. We didn't go to Kingfisher but we stayed in Bourketown for a couple of days to go fishing (didn't catch a thing though). We are heading back to Bourketown with the boat the first weeek in April to actually try the fishing properly.

Tim.
AnswerID: 156544

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:06

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:06
Thanks Tim for your reply mate,i have got an exellant response from my post just goes to show it must be a top spot to vist,thanks again for you reply mate cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 410700

Sponsored Links