I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:21
ThreadID: 31030 Views:2531 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I was watching the news here in Sydney last night and they were talking about the roads becomming more congested every week. Some are turning into long carparks, takes an hour to go 5 klm in peak hour. Anyway a roads "expert" came on and said one solution would be to introduce a "Congestion Tax"!!!
The government must pay people to sit in their office and think up new ways to extract every last cent from us motorists. Still ROTFLMAO

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:26

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:26
It was probably a survey run by about 20 or so people for 3 years at a tax payers cost of several million.
All the had to do was look out the window.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 156410

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:59

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:59
Its a bit like the greenhouse gas tax.. just more tax but no fix!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 156417

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:33

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:33
But it was a nice view Eric HAHAHAHA

Greg
AnswerID: 156421

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:30

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:30
Congestion taxes are a fact of life in other large cities around the world. I think it costs around $15AUS to drive into the City of London for instance. Probably paid some pollie or bureaucrat to travel to the UK to study this GREAT :-( idea.
AnswerID: 156431

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 16:12

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 16:12
No doubt the trip was was a junket... 5 star hotel, limo's, trips to see live theatre, expensive resturaunts... $50k later and some bone head says "%hit, I spent too much money, lets invent a tax"
FollowupID: 410567

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:00

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:00
Hi Guys,

What a dumb idea and wait for it in Brisbane the council has gone on record that they don’t care about the congestion if it is a price for getting the public transport system moving. They are talking about giving priority at buses at traffic lights, couple this with rumours that there will be more road closures to make toll ways more viable. Then it only stands to reason that we have to be taxed for congestion created by them.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 156437

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:37

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:37
Beatit

Buses already have priority in some areas. On waterworks rd for example the lights will stay green longer if there is a bus coming.

When on Upper Roma street, traveling towards Milton road there is that intersection (just past the former/new firestation) where there is a bus lane on the left. If there is a vehicle in that bus lane, the green light for everybody else is delayed by about 5 seconds. This gives the bus a chance to move ahead and change lanes. The problem is that many cars cue jump in this bus lane and trigger the delayed light. The trick is to sit back about 6 metres from the intersection so you don't trigger the delay.

R
FollowupID: 410529

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 16:37

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 16:37
Thanks Robak, fortunately I'm on thsouth side so don't have to do battle with Waterworks Rd and Roma Street but it is not much better around the Gabba. You'd think that would make the bus service better but unfortunately not - had to catch the bus a couple of times in recent weeks. It is at least 10 minutes longer due to a compulsory detour via the bus tunnel at the Gabba. It used to go over the freeway, what great planning to make the trip longer and charge more for the priveledge.

Just tried riding the pushie to work, now apart from my lack of match fitness this way may even produce a quicker journey. Anything to beat this BS.

Kind regards

FollowupID: 410572

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:10

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:10
I've been riding the bike for a while now and I can tell you that it gets a lot easier after a few weeks and then pi$$ easy after about 4 months or so. But it's always harder on a monday.

I found the bike to be the quickest way to where I work (valley). But I have a fairly good run with a four lane road and not much traffic. I don't envy you going through the gabba though.

it takes
Walk - 40 min
Bus - 45 min
Pushbike - 15 min (so I really don't ride very far)

Cheers
FollowupID: 410576

Follow Up By: rob1 - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:27

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:27
We have bus priority lights in our area, whereby there is aaother light at the bottom of the normal traffic lights, that has a "B" on it. The lights stay red, but when the "B" light comes on, the bus can go. About 10 seconds later, the lights turn green and the rest of the traffic gets going, only the cars in the left lane, race ahead to cut in front of the other cars to avoid getting stuck behind the bus that's just stopped down the road!

Rob
FollowupID: 410581

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:49

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:49
Yes Thats it. Roma street has that "B". When there's no bus the computer skips the "B", but what usually happens is that there's some car in front of the bus (in the bus lane) so for those 10 seconds everybody, from all diercions just sits there, twiddling their thumbs. Except for me, on my bike. :)

cheers
FollowupID: 410583

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:48

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:48
G'day Robak,

Now at day 3 after 35 years of not riding one. All I can say is that I'm looking forward to that 4 month feeling. The old legs are like jelly - but that like anything execise wise I guess. These new bikes are just great with more gears than Australian taxes, my old bike had no gears but some of school mates had a 3 gear set of cogs on the rear.

I know what you mean about pi$$ easy some guys fly past going up hill making me look ordinary indeed.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 410690

Reply By: ev700 - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:28

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:28
Bureaucrats who recommend 'solutions' for congestion also get cars as part of their remuneration packages to drive to and fro from work. All choose the bigger engined limos from Ford and GM where the 'entitlement' exists.

In addition, in Brisbane you can see hundreds of State government cars that are 'home garaged' by bureaucrats who may communte to the far South Coast and back each day.

Recently, the sheer number of State Government cars secondhand cars for auction was so large that (allegedly) the stockpile could be visible from the moon.

The feds got smart and got rid of identifying 'Z' plates so that bureaucrats were not obvious in the drive in bottle shop or on the run home to the sticks. Now they've gone even further and lease vehicles, which are of course, privately plated.

How convincing are initiatives to reduce congestion or increase the use of public transport when every so-called manager in public bodies gets a car plus fuel card?
AnswerID: 156441

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:36

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:36
When I left Melbourne 31 years ago I swore to myself I would never be cold or waste time in traffic ever again hence my living in beautiful Cairns. I lived 18 klms from Melboune city and it could take over an hour to drive home, not so many ring roads or freeways back then. While I was sitting in my car at traffic lights I would look around at all the other dills who just like me were sitting by them selves in thier cars. What a waste of time & resources. The government has a huge surplus ATM they could make an incredibly efficient public transport system using low pollutant hybrid buses that ran 24\7 in our major cities. People driving to and from work solo in cars causing congestion and pollution without a legitamate reason would then deserve to be taxed. Lets learn from the mistakes of other poluted cities around the world. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 410527

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:53

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:53
I lived in Cairns in '74 for a couple of years, 10 cars at the lights was considered busy, 15 cars was a traffic jam. Now drive down Mulgrave road during the week, it takes two or three changes to get through a set of lights.
FollowupID: 410554

Follow Up By: David from Engine Saver Low Water Alarms - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:09

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:09
If Cairns is too busy, do what I did 10 years ago & move to Ingham.
We got our first set of traffic lights last year.
(Funny thing though, every time I get to them they always seem to be red!)
FollowupID: 410598

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:23

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:23
David I have a low water alarm fitted to my TD Cruiser. A truely worthwhile accessory. I imagine it is one of yours , it was fitted by Sam at S&D Autos in Cairns. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 410629

Follow Up By: David from Engine Saver Low Water Alarms - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:44

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:44
Hi Rob.
I am not aquainted with S&D Autos,
We have 5 Cairns outlets though, 3 in Scott street, perhaps they sourced it through one of them.

Not advertising everyone, just a courtesy reply.

David
FollowupID: 410633

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 15:03

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 15:03
Unfortunately it will come one day. As said before, London has it. Singapore has it; they were the first I think. Tokyo has it. Probably several others as well.

Another reason to load up the 4B and get the hell out of the city.
AnswerID: 156485

Reply By: macca172 - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:26

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:26
More likely some over paid, fat dumb RTA public servant who has nothing better to do than watching grass grow and comes up with some rocket science plan to rip off the NSW motorists........shades of the cross city tunnel and many other toll road shambles this governmen'ts department has been involved with to date.

"RTA......working for the NSW motorist"...in a pigs it is!
AnswerID: 156561

Sponsored Links