Fitting Snorkel & Large Dual Battery in GQ

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:05
ThreadID: 31038 Views:4747 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I want to fit large dual battery system in my 1988 Petrol 4.2ltr GQ and a snorkel as well. In order to fit a large second battery it needs to sit next to the water o/flow bottle (as it wont fit in the top RH corner at the firewall). Currently the air intake is in the spot where the battery needs to go so I want to put the air intake along the firewall and straight out through the front qtr panel.
The problem I have is that I cannot find a snorkel that will start at the top of the qtr panel, they all run down and along the qtr panel to the existing air intake position (near the indicator).
Is has been suggested to me to try the MQ / MK snorkel as that starts higher up the qtr panel but Im not sure if everything else would fit.

Can someone please suggest how to fit the both.

Kylie (in the Patrol this time)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerry - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:28

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:28
Fit the second battery alongside the water bottle (bottle between new battery and side panel), get rid of the dust filter thingy (doesn't do jack anyway) and run the new intake pipe straight into the normal intake for the snorkel, past the front of the battery. Just make sure that you have a couple of straps from the new battery cradle to the side panel otherwise you will end up with cracks in the bottom of the mudguard.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 156478

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:48

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:48
IMO it would be cheaper to use an AGM battery (large like you wish) inside a battery box and store it in the rear of your vehicle, but connecting to an Isolator via Anderson connectors and charging off the vehicle alternator.

This what many people do when they cannot fit an auxiliary battery in the engine bay.

Also gives you a portable battery system that you can use remotely from your vehicle.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156483

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:43

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:43
G'day Sand Man,
Hooray, we back to agreeing with each other again. hahahaha
I've just this with my GU, cos I needed the space where the 2nd battery had been living under the bonnett, to locate the dual by-pass oil set-up. Also, as stated by others, the weight of the 2nd battery has, in my case, fractured the inner section of the side panel as well as the "floor" area of the inner mudguard......4 of the 5 captive nuts have broken away.
Also, having the 2nd battery in the back (I'm using a 120a/h Fullriver), means that the power is much closer to all the gear it is powering (fridge, HF radio, inverter, MaxAir compressor etc), which means less voltage loss.
I have also mounted a 3 stage charger in the back too, so that it can quickly re-charge the big battery when at home or camped for extended periods (using the Yammie genset).
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 410688

Follow Up By: Gu_Patrol - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:33

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:33
Roachie what brand is your 2nd battery tray , the one that damaged your inner guard
FollowupID: 410718

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:28

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:28
Not real sure.......the auto sparkie arranged it for me. But, I have it on good authority that it is a Pirahna. It's the one that uses the 2 captive nuts that held the radiator expansion water bottle onto the inner side guard, plus it uses 3 of the captive nuts in the floor of the mudguard. The base plate has 3 counter-sunk holes that match up with those 3 nuts. The water bottle bolts to the bracket before the bracket is bolted into place.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 410889

Reply By: ACDC - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:39

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:39
It's easy fit battery in LHR corner 8" battery make this the starter battery!
and fit a 130ah trojan in the original starter battery tray!
You'll get a 500CA for starting easy..
AnswerID: 156520

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:25

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:25
I would suggest an AGM inside a 12V Power Pack. Use this in the rear of the vehicle and your problem is solved. You also gain a fully portable 12V power supply with 100 amp hours.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 156560

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 07:45

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 07:45
ARB make a second battery tray/kit that straddles the water bottle, leaves you room for everything else. That's how my GQ is set up and most of the people I know that drive GQ's have theirs set up this way as well.
AnswerID: 156596

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:15

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:15
Interesting - thanks for the suggestions guys.
Brian - love the setup on your GQ. I noticed you had a snorkel fitted, did you still use the original air intake position? If so where does all the air piping go?

Thanks again
Kylie
FollowupID: 410704

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 15:27

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 15:27
Kylie,
Yep, we used the original air intake.... the snorkel is a Safari unit & it feeds into a finer filter canister which is located immediately inside the engine bay & directly behind the left headlight, then it is plumbed from there to the turbo.

The auxilliary battery is on an ARB cradle that straddles the radiator water bottle.

I can take some pics for you if you want, leave an email address and I'll send them to you.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 410760

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:27

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:27
Hey guys,
Any pics would be much appreciated. My email address is permares@bigpond.net.au

I have brought a battery tray from ARB and installed it (not bad for a chick huh?) I have disconnected the air intake and removed the pre filter thingy (as recommended) and are now looking at getting opposite lock to extend the air intake pipe back to the original position and have them install a safari snorkel on friday.

Please forward any pics as this will still help in the placement of the air intake pipe.

Thank you to all for the suggestions and time taken to respond.

Kylie
FollowupID: 411510

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:06

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:06
Kylie,

My previous vehicle was a GQ set up by ARB.

The second battery was mounted above the suspension post on the LH side (directly opposite the OE Battery). This meant that the normal GQ snorkel wouldn't fit. This had been overcome by fitting a snorkel for a MQ which comes into the engine bay closer to the windscreen.

Also mounted along that guard starting closest to the windscreen were, Lucas Fuel Filter, air hose from snorkel to filter, Battery Isolator, Battery, Shower pump, and then the radiator overflow bottle just behind the headlight.

Hope you follow all that. It was a bit crowded but everything worked. When the original isolator died I mounted the new one on the fire wall and that gave a bit more room to work along that guard.

Duncs
AnswerID: 156639

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:19

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:19
Duncs

Exactly what I wanted to know. I spoke to ARB Northern yesterday and they had no idea of how to do it. Could you please advise which ARB did this setup for you.

Thanks for your help.

Kylie
FollowupID: 410715

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:41

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:41
Kylie,

The car was an 89 model and was originally set up new by ARB NSW Head office in Morebank (near Bankstown airport), for John Van, who was NSW manager at the time. Twin diff locks, suspension, turbo, seats, iverhead console, two radios, it even had a welder in the glove box. No room for gloves though.

It then belonged to a guy from Overlander Mag before moving into my shed. I am not sure who put the MQ snorkel on it, but I think it was with the magazine at the time. They put a very early model (1991???)Safari Turbo system on it and the snorkel was part of that job, I think.

I also think the battery tray was custom built but based on an ARB unit. It was very similar to the ARB I have in my 2001 GU 4.2TD.

It is definately do-able but you may have to shop around to find someone who is prepared or knows how to do it.

Good luck
Duncs

FollowupID: 410777

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:43

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:43
Just thought. If you contact Overlander Magazine they may have some pics of the engine bay that show the set up.

The car belonged to Ross Chapman. When he was with the mag.

Duncs
FollowupID: 410778

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:35

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:35
Duncs,
Sounds like you had a great jigger! A shower ... would love to look at that next. Thanks again for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Mine will be sorted this week.
Kylie
FollowupID: 411511

Sponsored Links