Kimberly trek

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:25
ThreadID: 3104 Views:2825 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading to the Kimberlys over winter and starting the circuit at Halls Creek from Alice Springs.Which is the best way to see it ,clockwise or anti clockwise direction or it doesnt matter?.I will eventually end up at Darwin and on to Kakadu and the Gulf.Any experience travellers out there that can help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alpaca - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:29

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:29
G'Day Steve, did the same trip several years ago and did it anti-clockwise but it probably doesn't matter which way you go. Stay at the Old Halls Creek area as there are some nice camping areas a little way out. Ron Moon's book is a good resource and also the trek notes on this site. Cape Leveque is a must! When you get to Darwin, spend more time at Litchfield NP than Kakadont. The NT Wildlife Park is also a must. When you cross the border, if you are heading for Lawn Hill NP, travel through Bowthorn Station and stay at KingFisher Camp. A nice spot. If Judith McGinnis is at the homestead, call in for morning or afternoon tea and have a chat. She is the author of several books and is a very intersting lady. Have a great trip you lucky B. Hope to get back ther in the next couple of years.
AnswerID: 11917

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:22

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:22
Alpca, Please tell me, what is your problem with Kakadu. I have seen and heard of Kakadont around the traps but fail to see the relevance. Cheers.W
FollowupID: 6850

Follow Up By: Alpaca - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:00
Willem,Kakadont is the darwin name for the park. I went there after Litchfield and was also disapointed. Maybe all the advertising hype led to too higher expectations and I think that we found Litchfield really great.
The interpretive centre at Jabiru was excellent and afterwards when we went to visit the sites we were disapointed. We were there in August, but during the wet, that would be something else. Cya Alpaca
FollowupID: 6861

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:51

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:51
steve - we've do this trip numerous times in different ways but the following way was appreciated recently with friends on thier 1st adventure (depending on time!!!) Melbourne to darwin via adelaide and alice springs, darwin to kunnunara to el questro and pentecost river to bungle bungles to t/creek to windjana gorge to broome then back track to alice springs via the tanami track and returned to melbourne via the odanatta track all done in 4 weeks with kids in board - had a ball - we put all the big highway klms in quickly swapping drivers - ie melb to alice 31 hrs - have a good trip - tim
AnswerID: 11929

Reply By: geoff - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:55
Clockwise - anti clockwise, either way dont rush it, and someone above mentioned some nice campsites near Old Halls creek, go past the old township about 20ks and you'll find "Sawpit Gorge", on our recent trip through the area, (up the Tanami, through the Kimberlies to Broome) we found this to be easily one of the best bush campsites we have stayed at, the halls creek information centre put us onto this one and we spent two lazy days there, (could of spent a week....) The kids and adults loved the swimming and fishing and ....well, just take our word for it and have a look.

Cheers
AnswerID: 11979

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 17:38

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 17:38
Thanks for the tips about kakadu and the camping spots.I will take my time I have 3 months off work ( I would like 6 months).I will be going via Lake Eyre ,Uluru,Tanami,Kimberlys,Litchfield,Kakadu and maybe Gurig NP, if the permits are easily obtainable and down thru the Gulf.Iam sure the t/d Jackaroo and new t van camper should make it O/k
AnswerID: 12089

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 14:12

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 14:12
Hi Steve,

Good advise posted so far. Just let me add my tips...

* Around Broome be sure you don't miss Cape Leveque. In fact, treat yourself to one of the "shacks" right opposite the beach.Shacks are really just a frame covered with palm fronds, sand floor, cold shower in the corner, picnic table and chairs. Friends have also raved about a similar set-up at Middle Lagoon though I haven't been there.

Point Coulomb is also worth checking out. Go to the TIC in Broome for trek notes. Great day trip or alternatively there are some good free, sanctioned campsites up that way.

* Fitzroy Crossing - Camping at the Lodge is very nice with grassy, shady sites, BBQ's etc. Whatever you do though DON'T let your visit coincide with pension day. The locals go on a drinking binge the likes of which I had never seen before. Not pretty and a real eye opener but very sad too.

* Timber Creek is a top spot if you like fishing. For best results use live bait which you can get using a live bait jig in any of the little creeks on the roadside.

*Gregory (River) NP also worth a look. Access not for caravans though. This NP incoporates most of the old Bullita Station including the homestead. If you like history, read Charlie Shultz's book "Beyond the Big Run" about his life and times establishing and running Bullita. Really adds interest to your visit.

* Kunanurra - Be sure to spend a bit of time here. Too many pass through, go out to see Lake Argyle, then move on. They never realise they've missed some of the best. Go to the TIC and ask them to tell you about the aboriginal art sites and rock formations that are just out of town.

* Don't miss 5 Rivers Lookout at Wyndham.

* Top End - Lived in Darwin for 12 months and previously toured the Top End. My favourite place is by far, Litchfield NP. If you are only planning a day or two here you do yourself a disservice. If you've got a 4WD, be sure to do the 4WD only Southern Access Track. This track follows (for the most part) the Reynolds River and its tributories south until it reaches the Daly River Road. Only camping along this route is at Surprize Creek Falls (my favourite). The first crossing of the Reynolds River can be deep and a bit tricky but nothing too hairy. You can do this track easily in a single day if you wish. Within the main area of Litchfield there is camping at Wangi and Florence Falls/Buley Rockholes. In peak season these main campgrounds will be crowded. None of the campgrounds are particularly shady so make sure you have a tarp or awning.Florence Falls also has a 4WD only campground which is flanked by a creek (the lower reaches of the Falls themselves which you can walk to from here). There are a few small, shallow pools in the creek which are a great place to cool off. In Litchfield, just leave your togs on all day. Also, think about doing the Reynolds River Lagoon cruise.

Not fair to compare Kakadu and Litchfield as they are poles apart; attractions completely different.Litchfield is limestone, escarpment country.Kakadu is vast floodplains, huge rivers and yes, some escarpments too.Kakadu didn't get it's worldwide reputation for nothing. Again, during the dry season it will be crowded. My favourite campground was the one near Twin Falls, grassy and good shade but you need a 4WD to access it. BTW, if you are planning to go to Twin Falls you will have to swim, float or paddle quite a way up the gorge to get to the falls themselves (having said that, in the dry Twin and Jim Jim Falls will most likely be dry anyway, but still worth a visit). A tyre tube or canoe is best. A Yellow Waters boat cruise is a must. Dawn cruise is the the best time to see crocs etc but evening cruise with the soft light is a photographers dream. No matter when you do it, you WILL see crocs and heaps of birds etc. First time I did it, I even saw a dingo come down to the waters edge, grab a decent size barramundi before trotting off with it in his mouth.

* Darwin - best CVP in my opinion is Lee Point but be sure to book ahead.

Hope you find my tips useful.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 12167

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 23:08

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 23:08
Little tip re on spelling so you dont affend the West Ausies

it is " The Kimberley"

great place been there twice '79 and '97 going again next yr, make shure you go to the Old Morninton Bush camp out from Mt House Stn

cheers Jol
AnswerID: 12221

Sponsored Links