Adelaide to birdsville

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:05
ThreadID: 31068 Views:2200 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Im thinking of going to innamincka, birdsville June -july this year .
what i need to know is ( i want to take the van a Windsor Rapid off road towed behind GU patrol, )If I go up the Strezelecki Track and down the Birdsville will it be ok for the van? Or is it to rough. I will also be taking the two girls, a quaker porrot and aconour parrot. Would it be to hot for them that time of year?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:34

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:34
Normally fine but Innaminka-Birdsville was very rough around Coopers Creek area when I was last there about 9 months ago. Mainly large sharp rocks - cut the OKas 900 by 16 14-ply Michelins quite badly.

Seek as much current info as possible re this - I've been over that track many times previously with no problems at all.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 156652

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:22

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:22
Collyn is pretty right here.

The Birdsville and Strezlecki Tracks are dirt highways most of the time so the van shoule be OK on them. Getting from Innamincka to Birdsville may be a bit more difficult.

I have only done it once via Walker's Crossing. I think if you are sensible you should be able to get the van through there. Not sure about Cordillo Downs.

If you contact the Ranger or even the Publican at Innamincka I am sure they would be happy to give you some advice.

As for the temp up that way in June/July it won't be too hot but I don't know how hot the birds like it. I doubt that it would be hotter up there at that time of year than it gets in Adelaide in summer.

Duncs
AnswerID: 156686

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 20:15

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 20:15
Amen to the above Chips (is you family name Goffidge ?) .... rain aside, stones and more stones are the main issue - they can be cruel at times, but mainly for those who won't take it easy, on reduced pressures. The BV track, clearance wise is fine for vans - have seen them on it. The Strzelecki is the same - the Cordillo downs Rd has a few creek crossings that could be a little "dippy" if washed out by rain in recent times - as other mentioned, it is really stoney in places too - you'd want a spare or three IMO.
Ask the locals re the more easterly Arrabury / Nappa Merrie (bit longer) road from Innamincka to BV - that could be a lot better. Re the girls and the heat - Ruth at the BV caravan park would be pleased to suggest maximums in that region I suggest - she's listed here on the trader pages I think. ...... my guess woud be averages in the mid 20's, with mid 30's possible at times. I've seen 39's in April so June should be nicer.
AnswerID: 156735

Reply By: chips59 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:09

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:09
thanks for the replies and no thats not my last name. I have been up the oodadatta track to Hamilton the across to dalhousie springs via pedirka which i thought was really stony, is it anything like that?and the other parrot is a conure not a Connor.
AnswerID: 156756

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:25

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:25
The track to Dalhousie via Perdirka Siding is quite a bit worse than the Birdsville Track.
FollowupID: 410854

Reply By: chips59 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:46

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:46
thanks shaker, we did that track very slowly and had no problems with tyres. had cooper st's on back then, but the other GQ traveling with us had BF's on and got cut to bits. Mind you mine were down to 24psi from Marree but he's is not a believer of letting tyres down and run his at 50psi all the way to Alice.
AnswerID: 156762

Sponsored Links