Getting a Beer in the Bush

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:57
ThreadID: 31173 Views:1825 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The Historic Ora Banda Inn is set to reopen after numerous closures due to Closure of the nearby Mine then Bombings and most recently due to a lack of enthusuasim. It has finally changed hands and is set to reopen giving visitors to the Golden Quest Discovery Trail somwhere to whet their whistle. All thats needed now is some Water in Rowles lagoon to fully restore this part of the trail
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Albany - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 14:36

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 14:36
Thats good news Davoe. We were in that area last October and one of my main aims was to have a beer at the Ora banda pub. I was gutted when we got there to find it was closed. Changing the subject slightly, what is the old telegraph line track like between Dundas rocks and Balladonia like. I was thinking of going through there sometime if there is anything worth looking at.
Regards
Steve
AnswerID: 157145

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:08

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:08
I travelled the track for work quite a few times mid 04 between the Esperance highway and the fraser range track and a couple of times as far as the Mt Andrew track. It is mostly burnt out with a couple of lakes to go around. There is a turn off to jyndabin bin roacks and the Mt andrew track is Quite interesting with some very interesting granite rocks one with sheer sides a bit like Mt ridley and the other with cave and wave features. The track terminates at a very nice saltlake where fire has wiped out the connection to the farmland to the South. this is however quite away south of the telegraph track.
The telegraph track can be plauged with camels which are difficult and take a few hairy moments to overtake on the narrow track.
Personally if you are after a scenic route to Balladonia the Bitumen is just as good
FollowupID: 411376

Reply By: Steve from Albany - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:31

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:31
Thanks Davoe,
I had read somewhere that there was a couple of old ruins along the track, though I dont know what was left of them or if they were of any interest. I thought it might have been a different route to get to the Balladonia Rd and then down to Cape Arid, but if there is nothing to see along the track except burnt out country then we might as well take the main road like you suggest.
Steve
AnswerID: 157154

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:39

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:39
There are ruins along the track from Balladonia to Cape Arid. Ballbinya homestead is one which is an interesting area which has been partially resotored. There is another homestead to the West of the track but I havnt been there. Try the track if you want. It isnt overly Narrow or rough so wont add another day or anything to the trip.
I am Currently reading a book on the history of the area "Challenge in Isolation" I bought from the condy tavern
FollowupID: 411379

Reply By: JJ - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 23:58

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 23:58
Hey Davoe, Was given the book Challenge in Isolation only last week by my widowed sis-in-law from Esperance. Haven't had time to read it yet but it is of interest to me as I was a Nullarbor-ite. Now live on the Fraser Coast.
AnswerID: 157230

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 21:38

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 21:38
About bloody time!
I had lost count how many times I have pulled in, seen the footy going on TV, the bartender watching it with a beer in his hand, tried the doors and they are all closed and locked!
Sounds like its getting to be more of a country pub crawl than a discovery trail. Its got my interest now.
AnswerID: 157382

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:54

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:54
Davoe

On the issue of Goldfields Pubs, do you know what is happening with the Agnew Pub. Is it still there?

Alan
AnswerID: 157481

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:20

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:20
Dunno I intended on going there for shift change when i worked at Leinster a few years ago but never got around to it. i will ask around - someone will know
FollowupID: 411783

Sponsored Links