King springs in an 80...

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:41
ThreadID: 31283 Views:4340 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all....

Just got King Springs - heavy duty -and ultima shocks with a measley 2'' lift put into our 80 and driving it it feels no different at all....even the lift - even though we had a lift before - the back end still looks like its sagging a little too. Still yet to load her up to see if it'll sag....the mechanic said that if we not happy then king springs will change them to other ones - no charge, we wanted ones that would hold under weight without too much movement.

Is this normal??

Laura B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:17

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:17
Hi Laura,

What rate springs did you get, in my old 80 series I had 300lb Kings springs in the rear with a nominal 2" lift, but got over 3" lift from it. Prior to that I had OME 200lb springs with 2" lift which were good for a reasonable load, but sagged too much once I started towing a van. Note that original springs are 150lb.

But while the 300lb Kings springs were great when fully loaded, they were very stiff around town when empty. I decided on airbags for my GU Patrol and am much happier with these. I can have a "soft" road around town with minimal load, yet still be able to load the GU up and tow a heavy load and still have no sag at all.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 157801

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:52

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:52
not sure what lb's......going to get 3'' lift instead now....stifness doesnt worry us too much.....see what happens though..
Laura B
FollowupID: 412300

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:37

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:37
Gotta agree with the Captain here. Over springing will give you a lousy ride when unladen. Unless you carry a couple a hundred lb all the time.

Go back and see what else they can do for you. If not happy with the springs alone you may need to think about adding air bags.
AnswerID: 157809

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:44

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:44
Laura,

King Springs make a rear spring pack for vehicles with LPG.
With the extra weight of the gas tank at the back the rear springs need to be a bit heavier.
Take the rear springs out and get the LPG springs or a 3" lift rear springs.

The movement that you have is from the shocks. They are not controlling the vehicle. The 80 Series does have a lot of body roll but with a good set of shocks this should be reduced. I will stick start the debate on what shocks to use by saying that the XGS from TJM are good and they will suit the King Springs.

Poly Air bags in the back can help with the body roll and can also lift the back of the vehicle with out replacing the springs for bigger ones.

Wayne
AnswerID: 157814

Follow Up By: Smitty - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 14:05

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 14:05
Hi Wayne,

I know this is off topic - but could it be possible that I saw you driving through Yackandandah on Sunday gone?? If it was in fact you - you have a great looking rig!

Back onto the topic - I have only ever had King Springs and Koni Shocks and they are a GREAT combination. Had them on my Defender, 80 series and now on my 105 series. They give a great ride and the best thing is the shocks are servicable.

Like Wayne says - I have poly-air bags in the back (tow a CT) and they work great when loading up.

All the best
SMITTY
FollowupID: 412141

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 14:20

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 14:20
Smitty,

I was through Yackandandah last Saturday in the afternoon and the Saturday before that in the morning.

Wayne
FollowupID: 412148

Reply By: Laura B - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:32

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:32
just rang King springs and they said that we definetley have the wrong ones in the back,the front is fine!!by the sound of it the shocks could be wrong too.......this mechanic is as dopey as a dope plant!! lol !! we are getting more heavy duty ones....back is being replaced....will let you know how we go...

Laura B
AnswerID: 157828

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:14

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:14
mechanic probably used the Kings Springs book which is somewhat hard to follow and when you call Kings Springs in BNE all the other options come bouncing out of the woodwork!

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 412220

Reply By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:08

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:08
you will find that your 80 is actually even , not lower in the back . Its a little deceving with the shape of the rear flairs . If you need to tickle them up a little , for for some coil spacers , they work real well.
AnswerID: 157949

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:51

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:51
well ...
went back to mechanic and have re-ordered back ones and are getting the 3'' ones so that it will sit up on a angle but will have the muscles to hold up our gear.......

Thanks everyone.....

Laura B
FollowupID: 412299

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:41

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:41
thanks everyone for your input

just picked up the trucksta up from mechanic with the new 3'' springs in the back (still 2'' in the front)....still not to much of a difference on the road,will try out bush soon and will let ya know how i go....got the 3'' so that when its loaded up it'll have some give up against the front.......definetely certain that it must have had a list before (only had it 6mths) cos height isnt much different - by looking at it anyway..forgot to measure before they went in!!

thanks heaps

Laura B
FollowupID: 412780

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:07

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:07
Laura,

If you didn't notice any difference in ride with the new shocks fitted, there are two possibilities:-

Either your old shocks were still extremely good, or your new shocks are extremely bad.

A new set of shockers should have given you a noticeable improvement in ride, especially if you have upgraded to larger bore (diameter) ones, because they contain more oil and will provide superior damping.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 157987

Sponsored Links