The GULF ROAD When to do it

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 23:19
ThreadID: 31314 Views:2051 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just trying to work out when is it the best time to do the Gulf Track i was thinking of doing it in the last 2 weeks in july early augast or is that to late, would there be water still flowing in any of the gorges that we might like to vist or water holes to swim in Croc Free of cause if so please give me the places that have croc free swiming holes thanks our trip would take us to lawn hill,Normanton,then on to Cairns do'nt now winch way to go yet from Normanton to Cairns any help would be great Thanks GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:38

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:38
Hi GREENDOG,

Never seen a cro at Lawn Hill but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Aprt from there you will be or might be crocs from Burketown to Chillagoe. Did I mention snakes ? :)

At that time of year you wont find too much water being a real problem. Mind you if it rains it sure does rain in that part of the world.

The trip that we enjoy out of Lawn Hill is up to Hells Gates then across to Burketown, good caravan park there with nice friendly folks, even take you out fishing if you are interested int hat. Then around via Leichardt Falls, (crocs there if you are unlucky) then Normanton. Across the deve road to Chillagoe, (caves are neat) then down to Cairns.

The alternate is all of the above except from Normanton down and across via Georgetown and then over the hills to Cairns.

Have fun, a truly great part of the country.
AnswerID: 157990

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:52

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:52
Fresh water crocs at lawn Hill. Been swimming and only seen the occasional one.
FollowupID: 412358

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:46

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:46
Thanks for your input Peterll will keep the crocs in mind as well as the snakes,were looking forward in going to Adel's Grove never been up that way before so i can hardly wait.cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 412373

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 07:55

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 07:55
Hi Mate,, Hope all is well with the greendog pack...
I will drop in one of these nights with a couple of sherbets...

The water at lawn hill doesnt change much because it is all spring fed...
Lawn hill gorge has a lot of fresh water crocs but you hardly ever see them and at this stage have never bothered any humans, so lots of people swim there...
If its a normal year up there,,, you will find no water crossings at all at that time of the year...It will be bone dry across the top (except for the ocean of course)....
If you find any waterways (rivers), etc across the top on your way to Cairns,,, they will most probably have BIG SALTIES in them...Check out Undara Lava tubes on the way to Cairns,, worth a look...
King Fisher Camp is a great drive straight up from Lawn Hill... Just follow the signs which say KFC,,, cant miss it......Approx 20gates to go through....A quite remote part of the country...

AnswerID: 158006

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:38

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:38
Hi Mate long time no hear.i have made up my mind to go and have a look at Adel's grove and around the Gulf area before heading to Cairns then down to my sister's place in Townsville so it should be a good trip,so you being there be fore AG which is the best place to camp up the top or down the bottom oh and front door is allways open for ya mate pop around cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 412370

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:50

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:50
Is that a new Rig mate did you trade the Nissan in on a TOYO,tell me you did'nt lol
FollowupID: 412374

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:31

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:31
Hi Greendog
When you get to Townsville it would be good to meet another EO member so if you get the chance send a member mesage and we might just catch up
Cheers Poppy
FollowupID: 413194

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 19:41

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 19:41
Hi Poppy no worrys mate,will send you a message in the next couple of mths mate we have'nt excactly worked out a departure date from here yet but i reckon it would probally be late july early augast,look forward in catching up with you cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 413256

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:06

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:06
We will be away for April and May so message me after that and if we catch up and you like fishing I will have my new boat by then and we may get the chance to wet a line
Cheers Poppy
FollowupID: 413299

Reply By: Dazmit - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 13:43

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 13:43
Cobbold Gorge out of Georgetown is well worth a look. Top camping spot and great owners as well.
http://www.cobboldgorge.com.au/

Butcher in Georgetown sells top meat as well.

Enjoy.

cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
AnswerID: 158087

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:26
Thanks Dazmit for that good camp sight mate does it cost any thing to camp there as we are looking to free camp as much as possible if there is such a thing these days,and can the butcher in Georgetown vacum seal your meat for you, might be asking a bit much but thought it's worth a try if you new or not.Thanks for your reply cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 412565

Follow Up By: Dazmit - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 13:58

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 13:58
No free camping at Cobbold sorry to say.

Must admit I didn't ask the butcher about vacuum sealing - we bought some steak and snags on our way into cobbold and ate it there.

Cheers

Darryl
FollowupID: 412764

Sponsored Links