Lilliput screen V's Xenarc

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:34
ThreadID: 31334 Views:3081 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I have been looking through the forums here and in GPS Australia on types and mounting details for in car screens.

Interested in installing one to use my Garmin with OziExplorer. Currently use my Thinkpad on my lap when the wife is driving. She is not that keen to sit with it on her lap when I am driving.

We own a 2001 SR5 Dualcab Hilux with twin airbags so dashboard mounting is a bit of problem.

Read of one approach where a 7" Lilliput was mounted of a bracket in the ash tray. From most forum links however, it appears that the Xenarc 10.2" is the way to go.

Does anyone know of a place in Melbourne where I could look at the Xenarc and the Lilliput to physically compare. Need to check oput mounting arrangements and get a feel for size, quality, readability etc. Would also be keen to try the touch screen with OziExplorer running.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:43

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:43
Hi Mal
Try BIT Distribution they are located at 3/63 Stud Rd, Bayswater and have 7inch plus touch screens- But beware they are not called the Home of 12 Volt for nothing - lots of goodies there for 4WD & Camping/Caravan etc.
Cheers
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 158095

Follow Up By: Mal P - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:18

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:18
Thanks Mike. Will wander down and check them out
FollowupID: 412830

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:45

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:45
I have a Lilleput that replaces the rear vision mirror and doubles as the mirror when it's turned off. Do a google search and you should find them.
AnswerID: 158150

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 07:42

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 07:42
Message to Elaine. It was only $50 wasn't it that he told you?

Just as well she doesn't read EO Des. LOL
FollowupID: 412655

Reply By: allblack55 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 20:20

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 20:20
Hi Mal,

Xenarc are in Mitcham,(Vic) 1300 131 474, I`ve yet to visit but I am also interested in the 10.2/10.4 inch screens. The Xenarc are a lot more expensive than Lilliput, there are 16:9 and 4:3 versions. do your maths and you can compare the actual screen sizes.

If you do a comparison on various screens I would like to swap stories re mounting and operating.

Leigh (sunelec@netcon.net.au)
AnswerID: 158163

Follow Up By: Mal P - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:24

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:24
Thanks Leigh. will let you know how I get on. Thinking of velcroing a bracket to the top of the dash in the centre and then velcroing screen to the bracket so it can be removed. Centre air vents will be blocked a bit but I guess I can wind the window down if I need to. Will not affect then passenger air bag in this location.
FollowupID: 412831

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:03

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:03
Mal,

I also had a similar dilemma as you.
My wife wasn't too keen on having the Thinkpad sitting on her lap.

I purchased a 7" Touchscreen from Jaycar. The brand is "Response", which I think is an "in-house" brand name of Jaycar. Very easy to set up, but takes another 12 volt socket up to run it.

They are not cheap, but the definition in daylight is actually clearer than that on the Laptop. (14 inch screen)

The problem we have found, is that when running OziExplorer, the Icons you need to click on are still a bit on the small side. (for our eyes at least)
I'm still undecided on whether to keep it, or sell it.

The mounting system I have used is from VersaTrue in the USA, a division of Gamber Johnson. It clamps to the "panic handle" on the centre console of the Jack.

I may consider buying a universal laptop mount which will also attach to the same mount.

!MPG:9!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158260

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:57

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:57
Hey Sand man.. let me know if you consider selling it.. I'm interested. I'm in the smae dilema.. Lilliput verus whatever else. I want to mount something on dash or on laptop mount from RAM mounts that can do Oxiexplorer and rear camera..
If I may be so bold as to ask.. if I could have a closer look at your screen if you in/around ADL some time??? I live in Enfield and work in Elizabeth if that shelps at all. CHeers
FollowupID: 412733

Follow Up By: Mal P - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:30

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:30
Thanks Sandman. Have spoken to Jaycar and plan to wander down there soon armed with my lap top. Will checkout how my fat fingers cope. Mrs Mal not all that interested in how it all works so I might end up with a mouse to oprerate whwn I am passenger. Have found top of centre console makes a good mouse mat.

Mounting bracket looks good but could not use anything like that ion the Hilux
FollowupID: 412832

Sponsored Links