Maree,Dalhousie, Alice

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 17:09
ThreadID: 31417 Views:2134 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We wish to tour the Macdonnells in June but get there via Dalhousie and the Old Andado road. I gather Maree to Dalhousie is a full day, weather permitting, but can we get from Dalhousie to Alice via the Andado Road in a day. I realise the drive through nature of the trip but am simply using it as a more interesting way to go having been up the highway numerous times.
Also is the road from Hamilton still open or do we have to detour through Eringa?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:18

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:18
The Hamilton right turn via Pedirka should be open (usually rough) weather permitting (WP). Eringa, Abminga, Charlotte W is my pick for a nicer drive north though (unless you have to see Dalhousie). Over to Old A, and up to the Alice is quite straight forward in bush terms (WP) - some deep bulldust possibly in one spot way up. IMO Beastie, you'd really need to have to go that way, to be in such a hurry. I reckon 3 days minimum Marree to the Alice on that route - but it should be 4 +. Wear and tear potential on the tyres for instance, would be enough to keep me on the bitumen if I needed to be in the Alice so soon. Have a good 'un.
AnswerID: 158595

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 22:18

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 22:18
is it really that long??!! 4 days +....we're going in early Sept with our 2 youngster (will be 3 and 1).....we wanna go Oodandatta Track but would love to go the dirt track to Alice but maybe highway good idea.......oh hang on Marree is at south end of Ood track hey!! Oh na we'll be right i reckon!

Laura B
FollowupID: 413132

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:19

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:19
Have a look at www.mtdare.com.au at their Road Report - new one this week.
AnswerID: 158596

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:23

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:23
When you get in the website then have a look at Simpson Desert Regional Report (not road report).
FollowupID: 413070

Reply By: GREENDOG - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:49

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:49
Beastie we went to Dalhousie last year it took 4hrs from oonadatta being Hamilton station your half way point and yes the track it still open but rough through to Dalhousie,if your in such a hurry to get to the Alice try going up to the Finke from Dalhousie then straight across to the highway from there that will bring you out at Kulgera.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 158681

Sponsored Links