OIL PRESSURE

Submitted: Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:58
ThreadID: 31459 Views:1735 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Back from a day out in the hills, and the oil pressure needle reads zero. No other warnings - temp spot on. Dipped the oil and it has plenty. No leaks underneath.
Day out included a mixture of hills, mud holes, water crossings. Looks like a problem with a sensor - where do I look ? Heard of this before ??
1999 Petrol Jackaroo manual. Thanks for any tips.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 09:07

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 09:07
When did it drop to zero? You were checking your guages as you go :-).

I have this problem wth the pajero, wire drops off the sender unit about twice a year. Wife loves it when I stop in traffic or the middle of nowhere to check the wire when guage goes to zero.
Did save an engine once when oil pressure guage went to zero (saw it drop) and worked out the drive to the oil pump had disintergrated. New drive and the engine was OK until I sold it 150,000k later. Has the engine sound changed? Rattlier engine if it is the pump.

Or it could be the sensor or the guage. Check you have oil pressure by using another guage and then put a mulimeter on the guage with the engine running to see what voltage is there. Voltage varies with pressure. Pajero oil pressure sensors have a habit of shaking to bits internaly every now and then.

Goodluck, hope it is not the oil pump.
AnswerID: 158837

Follow Up By: PAULL - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:10

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:10
Was later in the day on the way home, just noticed it at zero. Had not been a gradual decline during the day. The engine pitch is slightly different, thought it might be my imagination, but now I am bit worried that it might be the pump. Thanks for your help, let you know how I go.
FollowupID: 413361

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 16:45

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 16:45
Have had the same thing happen to my 1999 Petrol Jackaroo Auto.

Sounds like the oil pressure sender switch.
Buggered if I know where it is located on the Engine Block though.
I got the Dealer to replace it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158912

Follow Up By: PAULL - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:52

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:52
thanks!!
FollowupID: 413549

Reply By: guzzi - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:20

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:20
Paul,
Try cleaning the connector that goes to your oil pressure sender, clean the nipple on the sender and the connector plug on the wire. Also your disconnect and clean your earths, Batt neg terminal, main earth line to body, main earth to engine, follow the heavy black wire from the battery neg terminal to where it attaches to the body and engine, pull these out and clean with a wire brush.
If it still doesnt work after that change the sender, if that doesnt work either, pull the dash and clean the plug and connectors there, if that fails change the guage.
The oil pressure system is electric and wet / dirty connections can play havoc with them.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 158973

Follow Up By: PAULL - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:52

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:52
thanks!!
FollowupID: 413550

Sponsored Links