High country easter

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 18:02
ThreadID: 31549 Views:1622 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip starting at tom groggin over easter say 4 days anyone suggest a possible trip anything must see areas etc.Have been there previosly but its a huge area will be with two well set up vehicles.Any advice appreciated thankyou
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 18:07

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 18:07
Brian,

One thing that you should look out for and that is me. I will also be down in that area over Easter.

Wayne
AnswerID: 159350

Reply By: MYTTUF - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 20:30

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 20:30
Brian,
Below is a post from my club's forum. I was there earlier this year and theses were my thoughts......

Tom Groggin
Located near the start of The Murray River on the State border just off the Alpine Way. The official camnpsite/picnic area is just off road with fire places and toilets on the banks of the river. Heading south there are a few more big places on river then track crosses river and heads back to a hut on Victorian side with another big campsite. We stayed on NSW side, right on river (10metres) on grassy field with very good swimming hole which was just north from formal campsite (55h 0601686 5956472). There is a waterfall located at 55h 0601536 5955974 with a small camping area under the trees 100meters from river. 3km south of Tom Groggin along the Davies Plain Tk is a great campsite on the Buckwong Ck (55h 060930 5951847) that has to grassy areas either side of the track under the trees

Davies Plain Area
Located in The Alpine National Park in Victoria’s North East south of Tom Groggin. Tracks in the area are rugged and offer some challenging driving, great views and some great camping destinations. There are a few camping spots worth a mention in the area including:
*Charlies Ck Camping area is on The Davies Plain Tk on a grassy area near a small running creek. There is a pit toilet and enough room for a large group. (55h 594908 5934061)
*The Poplars is the closest place you can get a vehicle to the start of the Murray river. It is located just 2km from the main track and opens up into a big area on the banks of the river. (55h 598679 59289977)
*Limestone Ck Camping area is a very big grassy area on the banks of Limestone Ck. With a pit toilet. (55h 593933 5920478)
*Davies Plain Hut is located on a huge grassy area on top of the mountain by a stream. It has a pit toilet, 5 BBQ plate fire places, stock yards and the cleanest hut we have seen. It is well worth a visit if you’re in the area. (55h 600485 5943022)

Not realy there but...
McKillops Bridge

Located in the Snowy River National Park in Victorias east is McKillops Bridge which is an area great for for white water rafting and fishing as well as swimming in the very warm Snowy river. There are also some walks for the more adventorous.
Well the official campsite is located on the rocky side of the hill 100m from the river and is definately not "GREAT . However, we found a better campsite 1km east of the bridge called Bull Flat Camp ground (55h 626432 5894726). It is on the banks of the Deddick River and has a pit toilet.
The general area is very steep and the 25km trip in from Seldem Seen, has an 11km section of single lane track that has a sheer drop on 1 side. There are some lookouts along the road on the way in that would be worth a look after some rain as the rivers flow with greater force. The bridge was built many years ago and is is well worth a look. (Look at the photos rather than taking the long, way out of the way, trip in there.)

Any way check out
http://s4.invisionfree.com/Vic_All_Terrain/index.php?showtopic=438
to see the photos.
Jonesy
AnswerID: 159793

Sponsored Links