6 week trip w.a.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 18:33
ThreadID: 31677 Views:2573 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday, just need a bit of advice. my wife & I are planning a 6 week trip from perth & thought about going over to brisbane. we are planning to hire a bitz bushcamper & go to places like exmouth, karijini gorge, cape leveque ,gibb river road. are we better off to loop from kunnunara & back to perth via meekathara instead of the brisbane trip. we are kiwis & have been from broome to darwin in a rental car before, but looking forward to 4wd. your suggestions & advice gratful. cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:20

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:20
I don't quite follow your loop idea from Kununurra to Meekatharra. These two towns are not directly connected unless you are envisaging driving the Canning Stock Route?

The first route you quote is accessible by 2wd vehicles and 4x4 is not required.
AnswerID: 160111

Follow Up By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:59

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:59
Hi, Willem,

Do you really think Cape Leveque is fully accessible with 2 WD ?? The same for side trips out of the GRR, like Mitchell Plateau ??.

Apart from this, I agree with you concerning a possible "loop" from kununnura to Meeka

Cheers

Eric
FollowupID: 414748

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 20:20
Hi Eric

Yes I have been to Cape Leveque in a 2wd ute. It was sandy in places but with lower tyre pressures we got there and back. On the way back I drove down a beach somewhere and got thoroughly bogged. It took a long while to get off the beach and then only with the help of a 4x4.

I came across a couple who had driven up to Mitchell Falls carpark in a Daihatsu 2wd ute. They had dual tyres on the back axle. Also met two young fellas who had driven there in 2 VW Variants. They had a solid axle with them to hook the cars together should they need it. I also saw a 1970 Holden up at King Edward River campsite.

I will add that these trips were all undertaken in the early 1980's. I did the Kimberley in a Suzuki in 1986.

Many aborigines drive to remote places in their Ford and Holden cars. Sometimes they get there and back. Sometimes they don't :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 414753

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:29

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:29
Hi Willem,
I think by the 'Loop' he means travelling up to Kununurra via the coast highway then returning via the central highway from Port Hedland or the Boreline Road from 80 mile beach through to Marble Bar then down the Central Highway.
Cheers
FollowupID: 414816

Follow Up By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 00:03

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 00:03
Hi Willem,

What yousay is completely true. I also met aborigines with an old Ford Falcon on the way to Cape Leveque. I only think some trips are easier with a 4WD ( I drive a troopy in Oz and a Nissan Patrol at home), provided of course you can drive it, you have the right equipment, and can handle it.

For example, I happened to encounter a kind guy from Perth on the GRR with a broken shock absorber and no tools (he had a toll free number from the rental company as well but no sat phone - I had both). I also met a young Italian guy before a river crossing on the way to twin Falls in Kakadu, with a brand new Cruiser from Britz, who did not know how to switch into low range, did not know as well what hubs might be and that they had to be locked.

Cheers

Eric

FollowupID: 414820

Follow Up By: hoggy - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 05:13

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 05:13
Gidday, By 'the loop', really meant going up gibb river from derby to kunnunera & back on the main road to broome, port hedland & down the inland road back to perth. the 4wd is so we can go 'off road' & see places as 2wd drive hire is very limiting.
cheers.
FollowupID: 414826

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:03

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:03
Hoggy,

My wife and I did a trip similar to the perth bris trip (in distance) in 5 weeks but really didn't see too much of any one spot. I suspect 6 weeks wouldn't add the extra time I would think neccessary to really enjoy that distance in a relaxed manner. However if that is all the time you can get and you really want to do it then go right ahead, just check the distances you are planning on and understand that, and all should work out fine.
The other suggested route is also a pretty serious "loop" and all care should be exercised in this part of the country, being well prepared would be well advised.

Either way enjoy this great country of ours and soak up where ever you end up.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 160140

Follow Up By: hoggy - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:17

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:17
Thanks Trevor for advice we drove in NT and down to Broome last year for 6 weeks all through Litchfeild etc ,and similar the year before .IT was great long distances don"t worry us .This will make you laugh ,I have just completed 32 years in same job and have been given 3 weeks extra holiday so hence only get a short time to make such aneat trip looking forward to it Cheers Hoggy
FollowupID: 414898

Sponsored Links