Replacement for the stolen "Cruiser

Submitted: Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:36
ThreadID: 31693 Views:3065 Replies:5 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,

I don't hold out much hope of seeing my truck again and I'm now on the hunt for a new one.

For years I've always been a supporter of Nissans. This latest Landcruiser ( the stolen one) has a long story of "why I had to buy it". 'Nuff said fer now.

Now, this new truck will be towing a smallish offroad caravan and carrying a heap of prospecting gear. I'm gonna go for a trayback ute, as it'll be easier quicker and cheaper to fit out with bush gear. I can't afford to be stuck in Perth for months mseeing about with a fit out. I only have a 6 month window for prospetcing very year. The season starts now!

I need (want) a turbo diesel and a big donk. I don't believe in small diesels. Unfortunately, Nissan is out on two points (thought it breaks my heart to say that) - one, that 3 litre diesel is 4 cylinders and it would scare the bejeesus out of me about blowing up somehwere out in the deep scrub where I go prospecting. Second that 4.2 Nissan donk, though reliable is prone to overheating and I'll be towing and loaded heavy in stinking hot weather sometimes.

So it's down to Toyota RV Sports ute. Rare as rocking horse dung, I know. Anyone have any comments about possible problems with a used one of these, bearing in mind that they are based on the normal Toyota Tray back ute and have (I think) the same donk as the TD GXL Landcruiser?

Looking, looking, looking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks guys,

Bilbo

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:01

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:01
Bilbo,
Don't know if it is what you want, and I know it is in QLD, but ARB Gympie has a 79 series ute with a canopy(hard), with I think 2 doors on each side + 1 at the back). I don't know what it is worth,but it looked to be in good nick. Will need closer inspection though. Their number is 07 54827474.
I seen it the other day when I was in there. I am not affiliated with this company in any way, just a customer.

Greg S
AnswerID: 160217

Follow Up By: rocketsalad - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:39

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:39
I think you should get a Terracan
FollowupID: 414892

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:45

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:45
The metal ex-army are best as they don't rub through on rough roads.
Then you can get a Tanami Pump for emptying them!
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 414893

Follow Up By: rocketsalad - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:54

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:54
lol
turn it up Bill
FollowupID: 414914

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:25

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:25
Couldn't resist that one!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 414926

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:37

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:37
Hello Bilbo,
I think I can answer some of your questions regarding the RV Landcruisers, not necessarily the Table Top variant.
I've got a nice shiny new RV Troopy coming, in fact it is probably sunning itself on a wharf in Sydney right now. (Lazy bloody thing)
You are correct on the engine, it is the same as the wagon turbo diesel with one change. The wagons get an intercooler and the Table Top and Troopy miss out, wasn't a big issue in my eyes.
You also get the same manual transmission as the petrol and turbo diesel wagons. The normally aspirated diesels get the lighter Prado 5 speed box.
They have the same running gear as the Rigid Front Axle wagons so if there are problems as people say with front diffs then the whole cruiser range comes with the problem.

I came to the same conclusion as you, the RV's are rare as rocking horse fertiliser on the secondhand market and when I did find what I wanted it was high mileage and low quality. That along with some generous contributions from my employer and a very sharp pencil price from Toyota convinced me to buy a new RV Troopy.

Trust it helps,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 160230

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:59

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:59
Geoff,

Just out of curiosity, what sort of price could you get the dealer down to, and what sort of accessories did you get? We may be going through the motions with an RV in the near future...

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 414917

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:20

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:20
Hello Chump,
I didn't physically negotiate with any dealers, I got these guys to do all the negotiating for me, Car Broker
They came back with a quote of $60k neat. That includes registration, all on road costs, delivery on a truck to my door in Newcastle, two full tanks of diesel, air conditioning, winch compatible bull bar and window tinting.
The vehicle is actually coming from Lander Motor Group in Blacktown NSW.
All I have to do is insure it on delivery.

I guess the next question is, Am I happy with the deal? Yes, Car Brokers took all of the hassle out of negotiating. They just fax off a request to several Toyota dealers fleet departments and say, "do your best"
I got onto them through a guy here at work. He got them to buy him a VW Toureg, it came in $8k under the local dealers best price, 10% cheaper.
They charged me I think $50 to look on my behalf, a nominal amount to chase off the tyre kickers. The dealer gives them $1,000 as the brokers commission which basically means my car is $1,000 dearer but still about 10 to 15% better than I could do myself.

Hope this helps,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 414921

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:44

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:44
Hello again Chump,
Forgot to add, the Toyota shows the RV Troopy as having a list price of $59,990 excluding everything.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 414935

Reply By: russ36 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 17:21

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 17:21
its only been a couple of days.....when i was at a bikeshop just about to put a deposit on a new bike i got a call from the police to come an get my old one
AnswerID: 160246

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:36

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:36
Russ,

I've been reassured by a lot of people but the truth, according to the police, the insurance company and friends of my sons in the performance car market, this type of theft is common. It's "targetted theft".

They have all said that the recovery rate is almost nil. They get broken down or rebirthed in another state. So, mentally, I'm trying to kiss it goodbye.

Plus, I don't have much faith in our overworked police force.

But it's damned difficult.

Bilbo

FollowupID: 415094

Follow Up By: russ36 - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:46

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:46
bilbo, if thats the case good luck with your insurance co, choice of new vehicle and remember if the culprits get away with it this time, its only a matter of time b4 they come undone and end up in the can. u just cant carry on like that forever untouched
FollowupID: 415117

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 19:41

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 19:41
Maybe look out for a GU T/Top with a 6.5Ltr Chevy in it have seen a few for sale every now and then.

AnswerID: 160271

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:53

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:53
GU conversion is around $23K
FollowupID: 415039

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:16

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:16
Now THAT is another consideration that I considered whilst driving around today.

You all now that much prefer Nissan drivelines and suspension above 'Cruisers, but the Turbo Diesel Toyota is such a good engine.

So, I thought why not get an older Nissan ute (cheap) and put a 6.5 litre turbo diesel Chev in it. The gearbox etc, is bullet proof, the suspension is easly fixed if its worn and the engine will be better than the old Nissan - less mileage! Brakes etc are easy done.

But I did sneak into a Toyota dealer and ask the price of new Toyota trayback utes and troopies - with turbo diesel engines. But I was disppointed to learn from posts here and in brochures that the engine may be same as the GXL turbo diesels but there's less horsepower and less torque than a GXL. Which out me off straight away and made me think of a V8 Chevy diesel from Brunswick Motors.

Thoughts anyone?

Bilbo
AnswerID: 160315

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:40

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:40
Bilbo,
I think both the rv cruiser and the chev patrol sound like great ideas. I'm considering either repowering my current troopy with the chev or buying new/near new rv troopy. Tough call. I believe there is a car dealer (near Brunswick diesels???) that sells vehicles converted by Brunswick, but they seem to sell nearly as dear as a standard plus the conversion in the traders.. Haven't managed to to talk to this particular yard yet though-someone might remember the name. If you are in that part of the country might be worth checking out.
Matt
FollowupID: 415074

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:45
buy either a 2.8 GU diesel, or a 4.5 petrol for donor truck, both can be had for under $20k now.. although 2.8 has smaller runnin gear...

Im also thinkin about this after todays outing.
FollowupID: 415078

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:13

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:13
Truckster,

Good idea,mate but I think the gearbox and running gear on the 2.8 is a bit light on for prospecting work. Prospecting is a hard life for trucks. Flat out towing campers and vans on bitumen to get there and then serious bushbashing to get out to the gold patches.

Changing a petrol motor to a diesel, whilst not complicated, is a lot more fiddly than swapping diesel for diesel.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 415107

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 13:28

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 13:28
they may have less power on paper but they also have close to 1/2 a tonne less weight I think they will have more than enough power for you
FollowupID: 415193

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 14:09

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 14:09
Bilbo,
Agree the 2.8 running gear would be too light, believe its actually a skyline gearbox in them. Know a bloke who spent $16k putting a denco turboed 4.2 diesel in his 2.8 GQ. Replaced entire driveline, transfer, gearbox and diffs. Waste I think.

As far as the difference between converting a petrol to diesel over a diesel to another diesel. I've got quotes from Brunswick and Linquip and I don't think it makes a lot of difference to cost (if any). Unbelievable how cheap you see some of the 4.5 GU's for, they'd have to have the right stuff in the running gear department. Dump the 4.5 for the Chev and I doubt you'd be dissapointed. If you haven't tried one, take one for a drive, would make the decision easier to make I think. People tell me -but you'll loose all that money you spend. Have a look at what they are selling for converted and you'll realise thats not the case. I don't think those same people consider the 10's of thousands they are loosing owning a new/near new vehicle in depreciation.
Matt

BTW, if you're a bit of a petrol head, the sound and feel of the 6.5 will be another attraction, not a real good reason but who cares?
FollowupID: 415199

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 20:50

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 20:50
There was a GQ 96 tray back for sale end last year hear in Perth with the 6.2Ltr Chev in it with 15,000K’s on the new engine for $20,000 I think it was, it was nicely set up too.

If I had the cash on hand would of brought it.

Also spotted last year a 2000ish GU model with the 6.5 Chev in it, as well for sale in Perth can’t remember what they were asking.
FollowupID: 415298

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:03
Yup I know the 2.8 has crap gearbox, but what do you want for the price? AJ said his mate got one for $10k.. I'd have 2 at that price.

The bloke that spent $16k is about right, when you work out Brunswick someone said is $14k drive away for the Chev...

A good TD42 with aftermarket turbo would be $10k, $7k for a GU TD42T is about normal..
$6k for the rest, $2-4k for box and sundries, $2-3k for complete diffs, is about right, but why did he replace the diffs and transfer??
FollowupID: 415328

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:16

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:16
PS. its 300ZX not skyline ;)
FollowupID: 415336

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:46

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:46
Truckster,
Not sure why, could be bs knowing the guy but that's what he told me. Engine crapped itself not long after but think it was fixed under warranty.

Seemed like a lot of cash to build something that you can buy done anyway. I would have sold the 2.8 added the 16 and bought a very clean 4.2, add turbo. Could have had the chev in for the same money according to the guy who did it for him but he preffered the nissan? 4.2 or V8 diesel?? Know what I'd choose.
FollowupID: 415435

Sponsored Links