engine light gu patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 20:26
ThreadID: 31736 Views:3614 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
No, no, no, don't start by telling me I'm in the ####. Let my battery run flat on the weekend - left the engle connected to keep the beer extra cool. Not a problem as I called the RACV and had the car jump started in Myrtleford. However driving up to Charlottes Pass from Mt Beauty the car started missing on acceleration - yes 3.0 td do accelerate up this road. No great problem the fuel was low - no fuel light on but I knew it was getting pretty close, so I pumped from the aux. tank and the problem seemed to go away. Next day, today, on the Hume the engine light came on, again it getting low ind the main tank but again no fuel light was on. I stopped, checked oil, water etc, no strange noises from engine or turbo but I had experienced the odd power loss. Put forty litres in at Seymour and the engine light went off and the car has been normal since. Any guesses, avm, engine control module or something more sinister....thanks - I hope.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 20:34

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 20:34
did you try draining the fuel filter to make sure no water in the filter???????
steve
AnswerID: 160504

Follow Up By: dublediff - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:31

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:31
thanks old scalyback, I will try this, how difficult is it to empty the water out, I think it would be just like a drain plug wouldn't it?
FollowupID: 415311

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:04

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:04
I had similar symptoms when I got some water in the fuel filter.
AnswerID: 160515

Follow Up By: dublediff - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:32

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:32
thanks pat, I will let you know how I get on...
FollowupID: 415312

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:49
under the fuel filter is a small tap from memory just turn90degrees and drain a bit out do it outside otherwise you get deisel everywhere

steve
AnswerID: 160526

Reply By: H2O - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:59

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:59
I get this as well but it only stays on for a second or three. Took it into a country Nissan sub and they had no ideas. I had some defensive driver training today and the instructor said this was common and it just the electric sender - nothing can be done it is just the contact and nothing is wrong?? I usually experience it on corrugations (6 times in 40,000kms). I also checked for water and the fuel filter was brand new the last time it did it. Apparently the light can also come on if you have dirty fuel but then it goes into 'home' mode and has no power??
AnswerID: 160534

Reply By: jendav - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:13

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:13
Hi dublediff.
This may or may not be of some help, as i refer to my GQ petrol, getting a very wet clogged air filter while crossing the Simpson a few years ago, after quite a wild storm.
The engine management light came on, due to the restriction of air flow in the air filter, symptoms were as you stated, loss of power.
Interested to hear the outcome

Regards

Dave.

AnswerID: 160540

Reply By: RosscoH - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:15

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:15
Hey dublediff, Had the same problem when I ran mine real low for the first time after getting it, probably sucked up all the gunk in the bottom of the tank. To drain the filter there is a wing nut on the bottom of it, need little jap hand to get to it, it has a drain pipe on it so get a clear plastic bottle to put the hose in and sit it on top of the starter motor, that way you can see if there is anything in the fuel you drain out, I used a 600 ml coke bottle and you will need to pump it about 3/4 full. Had to drain mine about three times over about a month, then got the bleep s and changed the filter , NO MORE PROBLEMS. We drained the filter and then cut it open, full of crap.Don't know how long it had been on the vehicle before I bought it. For the price of a filter I will be changing them every 10,000.Also had a noticible difference in power, goes heaps better.
Cheers RosscoH.
AnswerID: 160541

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:42

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:42
Under the fuel filter there are 2 items. One is the water drain (closer to the firewall) and the other is the sender unit (when water gathers at the bottom of the filter, send a signal that illumonates the engine check light). Undo the drain,(you may need pliers to initially undo it,) and turn about 2 turns, pump the primer on top of the filter and let the fuel drain for a short time to clear any water. Tighten the drain plug hand tight only.

Rob
AnswerID: 160597

Follow Up By: 3.0turbob - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:51

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:51
Sorry,
Would have been easier to say the drain plug is a "wingnut" type, the other is the sender unit. just feel around underneath.
Rob
FollowupID: 415421

Reply By: dublediff - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 13:32

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 13:32
thanks everybody, tried draining the fuel filter, it is easier if you take the plastic cowl off the intercooler by the way. The fuel is clear, no sign of water. The engine light is not on at the moment anyway. I guess the water is sitting in the bottom of the main tank waiting for supplies to get low again. What is the best way of eliminating the water from the tank, is the drain plug easy to get at, I can't see it through the tank guard - I guess that has to come off first.
AnswerID: 160639

Reply By: howie - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:46

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:46
few years ago, batt flat one morning near mt augusta, got a jump start, run it for a while, seemed ok.
about 2/3 kms down the track, felt like petrol starvation, no acceleration, then engine died.
had to phsically swap my batt with a gq (mines a 4.5l gu) until the gq had charged my batt. strange but true.
probably electric/ computer thingy, over my head.
AnswerID: 160660

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:46

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:46
You probably have a partially blocked fuel filter as this can cause your symptoms IE lack of power etc.
Change to a CAV fuel filter system, that way you can check the condition of fuel bu having a geek at the glass bowl. Oh and filters range from $5 to $10.
Have one on my 4.2td GU and it has saved me heaps over the last 5 yrs.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 160687

Sponsored Links