Brake pads - wear indicator.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:30
ThreadID: 31843 Views:2594 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Driving home the other day I noticed a metallic squeal coming from the front end. Started noticing if more and more and particularly when I applied the brakes - conclusion: the front pads were worn. Went and bought some new pads, jacked up the 80 whipped off one of the front wheels and checked the pads - only down to ~50%. Thinking thats a bit strange I then concluded that the other side might have a sticky caliper and could be worn from that. Took the other wheel off and they were ~50% too! Then I noticed a little metal tab coming from behind the pad, bent at 90 degrees that was scraping on the disc. I can only think that this is some sort of wear indicator - but set at 50%!?!?! If I wasn't the sort of person that did my own work I would've taken it to the shop to get the brakes done and paid for new pads I'm sure - I've never seen these little tabs before in my life! Are they common?? I reckon it's a bit of a rort from the brake pad people! I just ripped the suckers off and am looking forward to heaps more wear from my pads!

Scoey!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Qld - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:40

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:40
Scoey

Wear indicators are not that uncommon, but at 50% ... now that's a wee tad over the top for sure.

With a previous vehicle I used to get pads with electric wear indicator wires poking out from the side. Only one prob .. on my veh there was nowhere to connect them. Sidecutters solved that little issue. ;-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 161167

Reply By: Sparkiepete - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:45

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:45
I had my brakepads replaced today and there was about one mm of pads left.
I got full wear out of them. Maybe you need to adjust your wear indicator?

AnswerID: 161169

Reply By: cokeaddict - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:06

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:06
50 % ...ok half time...change sides !

Havents een these pads you described yet, but 50% is crazy. Keep using them, u got heaps to go..is the metal plate causing damage to ur rotor?
AnswerID: 161176

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:42

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:42
I adjusted the indicator alright - I snapped it off! It was just a little metal tab attached to the pad itself - Same were on the new Ferrodo pads I had purchased as well! Yep disc is fine - so are the pads now. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case there are people on this forum that don't change thier own! ;-)
AnswerID: 161186

Reply By: 120scruiser - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:54
There is alot of part numbers of brake pads that use the wear indicators but I have never seen them set at 50%. Usually alot less.
The rule of brakes is once the material has worn down to the thickness of the backing plate they are due for replacement. Most cars that come in with worn brakes have been driven through the wear indicators and they just snap off, no more noise.
What usually happens with the 80 series and 100 series is that they are a quad piston caliper, 2 on either side and they usually wear uneven between the top and bottom because of either piston resistance or pad resistance in the caliper. When you inspect them make sure you inspect all 4 pads and not just the easiest one to see as Murphy's Law will prevail and the one you check will be fine.
The wear indicators may have been damaged by the previous installer or damaged during manufacture. They do usually break off when you try to bend them.
Cheers
120scruiser
AnswerID: 161229

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:24

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:24
One thing the Jack has over everything else, is bloody good brake pads.

Have just had a 100,000 k's service and the report showed 6mm left on the front pads and 5mm left on the rears.

Wish I could get that sort of life out of the rubber.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161295

Sponsored Links