Roundabouts becoming scary.

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 17:39
ThreadID: 31872 Views:2454 Replies:12 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi .
People drive right to the give way line at 60ks an hr, and then think about wether they will give way, or just cruise through. Scary stuff at roundabouts at times, Its going to cost but traffic lights at major roundabout intersections seem the safest idea as yet. what will they have in another ten years?

Cheers axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 17:52

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 17:52
After a recent experience I also look LEFT before driving onto a Roundabout.

This elderly gent had apparewntly always turned right at the intersection and wasn't going to change his habits, just because they'd put in a roundabout - so he just turned RIGHT and took the next exit !!!!

Mike
AnswerID: 161367

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:47

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:47
ive had that too kinda....he was heading south i was heading north...he wanted to turn right so instead of going around the round-a-bout he turned right staright away and it was like he was going around it the wrong way...then he took the street he wanted!!

Do people slow down for round-a-bouts anymore???nearly got taken out by a bmw(nothing against those drivers) cos i thought he would slow down to see if anyone was coming but he (or she ) didnt...crossed into the other lane too so that cornering was easier.....

Laura B
FollowupID: 416161

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:15

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:15
Roundabouts work fine if the traffic flow is fairly even from all directions. Of course if people did the right thing and indicated correctly, stayed in their lane as the went around the circle and kept their eyes open it would be OK. As far as putting light at a roundabout that would defeat the purpose.

As far as I,m concerned people should be made to make more decisions on the road rather than less and a rounabout is a good start. Then we could get rd of things like traffic lights as well and make people be nice to each other again??

HMMM, on second thoughts?
AnswerID: 161369

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:49

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:49
no...good idea...lights are a pain and ive seen more accidents at a set of lights then at round-a-bouts......

its the people who havent realised that rules have changed since they first came in ( used to be first on has right of way and now its give way to the right)

did everyone know that you are supposed to indicate when exiting?? my father got booked because he didnt!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 416163

Follow Up By: 1812 - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 23:27

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 23:27
Laura B
Having been a professional driver in Sydney for over 20yrs, I have come to the only solution for Roundabouts!

Rule 1
You arive at the roundabout at an INCREACING SPEED (accelerating) so every one thinks you cannot stop so they stop and you get a clear run around.

Rule 2
If its bigger than you GIVE WAY, STOP

Rule 3
If its a small roundabout drive over the top and confuse everyone.

I should add I drive an 8 wheeler truck

PS The proper rules in NSW are you have to give way to all trafic in the roundabout.

You have to indicate on entering the roundabout,

You have to indicate on exiting the roundabout,

There is no give way to the right as in a small round about if an aproching car enters the roundabout before you and is turning right they have right of way

good luck
and if you see me coming STOP lol

Scott
FollowupID: 416167

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:47

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:47
Why indicate at roundabouts when they put plants in the middle of the roundabout that blocks the view of other vehicles indicators even with the height advantage of a 4wd?
FollowupID: 416183

Follow Up By: Laura B - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:48

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:48
hey Bware you must be from Nowra too!!LOL - we got palm trees in the iddle of ours!!

1812 - good rules!! if its bigger than me its a truck so yeah you bet i stop - ive even had to stop half way through cos a double kept going in front of me!! What is it with truckies - think you can run people over!!LOL!!

i use to always drive over the top of small ones - but only if im racing hubby home from work and its dark!!

the old suzuki always beat his 4runner - but then again thats not that hard!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 416196

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:04

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:04
Seriously though, I lived in the ACT for a while and the roundabouts work pretty well there. You still get accidents because people just don't watch what they are doing.. I must say that I attended more severe MVAs at traffic lights than I did at roundabouts.

Indicating is just common courtesy, as well as a legal requirement,, but I wonder if anyone cares about common courtesy anymore?
FollowupID: 416199

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:27

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:27
1812 I hear you,

was driving a Cat 1 RFS tanker the other day, heading down a hill towards a rounder. Checked the other entrances and saw a four cylinder ute coming on my right but on a level approach and not as close to the rounder as me. Despite this, he was not going to stop being on course with a BRT (big red truck.) He had to get through first. Fortunately for him, I was approaching at a speed safe enough to stop if I had to, and I did. He just tootled through the rounder while I stared in disbelief at him, when our eyes met.

Notso, "Then we could get rd of things like traffic lights as well and make people be nice to each other again?? "

Yeah I like to dream of that world too.....
FollowupID: 416350

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:23

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:23
So, I see you've been to Sydney then, and met my daughter!

I always feel younger after she has driven me somewhere, she takes YEARS of my life. I keep telling her, about slowing down, but no, leave it to the last minute.

Her and Tracy think cars are like time machines. "Oh, we can get there in five minutes." Were talking 15 kilometres, across Adelaide.

Yep, they scare me, that's for sure.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 161371

Reply By: Rock Crawler - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:51

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:51
Whats a rounsabout ? must be one of those bumbs in the road I hit every now and again lol
AnswerID: 161375

Follow Up By: rob1 - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:00

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:00
Rock Crawler,
Did you write this on a laptop whlie negotiating a "rounsabout"?
lol

Rob
FollowupID: 416118

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:49

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:49
Yes, If you enjoy roundabouts come to Canberra... we have some doozies.
Maybe I should go over roundabout ettiquete...
1) Its quite OK to stop in the middle of a roundabout while making up your mind what you are going to do.
2) It is essential that you get in the left lane to make a right turn.
3) Ditto right turns from the left lane.
4) If it is a big roundabout and it is shorter to turn into the oncoming traffic rather than have to drive right around the roundabout then by all means take the shortest route.
6) If in Melbourne and you encounter a roundabout with tram tracks going straight thru it then don't bother going around, merely slip into 4 wheel drive and follow the tram tracks...
7) Drive dysfunctionally whenever a roundabout presents itsself.
8) NEVER EVER check your map before entering a town or city that is new to you, always check your map in the first roundabout that you can find.
9) Always make sure that you prevent someone from turning out of a roundabout by driving next to them & staring at them....
10) Never enter a roundabout if the road is clear, wait until someone else is bearing down on you then accelerate into the roundabout & stop...
Enough! NON THINKING DRIVERS make my blood boil as does an elderly relative of mine who stops at green lights if there is a red light camera. The rationale for this is that if there is a red light camera there then lots of people drive thru red lights and it is far better to cause mayhem behind you than run the risk of being hit by a red light runner....
AnswerID: 161383

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:23

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:23
Mmmm!! Don"t like the idea of driving around there to much, Any good 4wd tracks to bypass the bloody place??.
FollowupID: 416129

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:51

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:51
try mudgereeba...in fact try QLD....still cannt figure them out.....i just get on and hold on - if i need to get off it i push my way across....

why not have the same rules nation wide...

L'B
FollowupID: 416164

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:49

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:49
Ah, it's tough when us boys from the bush go to the city, isn't it? Scares the living daylights out of me too. The big smoke, we call it around here.

But those who are used to it seem to manage OK.

Regards,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 161384

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:52

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:52
Bega....nice....friends dad owns farms down there...me from nowra....

nowra is a big enough city for me with its roundabouts!!

L'B
FollowupID: 416165

Reply By: Willo61 - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:10

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:10
"People drive right to the give way line at 60ks an hr, and then think about wether they will give way, or just cruise through."

If the round about speeders don't crash into someone they usually tip & roll the vichicle and get a brief introduction to dynamics with this formular:

Tipping velocity (KM/h) = 3.6 x SqRoot( W x 9.8 x R / 2 x H)
W = Wheel base in Metres
R = Radius of round about
H= Centre of mass above ground (Metres).

The above assumes a level surface, which a round abound is usually not.

Willo

AnswerID: 161389

Reply By: Ray Bates - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:28

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:28
I have driven in many countries of the world but Australia is the only one that I have come accross that has lanes on roundabouts. On roundabouts that I have come accross overseas ther is normally a sign saying "Form One Lane" on the approach to the roundabout and vehicles go around in single file hence dispensing with the need of being in the right lane as there are no lanes. Some vehicles such as large trucks, buses and road trains cannot keep in one lane due to their length. Going round a single lane roundabout may be slower but it is certainly a lot safer but the most obvious way to make juctions safe would be to have flyovers at juctions.
AnswerID: 161392

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 02:17

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 02:17
Ray, you obviously have not yet driven through Paris, France. I would recommend it to all prospective roundabout drivers.
On roundabout there had about 7 roads entering - it was a big city square with some monument in the middle, never got a chance to admire the monument.
Anyway, on approach I saw there were at least 6 parallel rows of cars going round that thing, all bumper to bumper. You had to fight your way on and then fight your way off it.
I managed it at the first go, squeezed the little Renault into a car snake, counted the streets as I passed and managed to squeeze off it at the fouth street. I was mightily proud of myself and think after that I can handle any roundabout that Oz has to offer.
Had a few nightmares though about being stuck in the car going round and round forever, quite possible there if you get squeezed to the innermost row. They drive their cars within centimetres of each other, you could easily shake hands with the passenger in the car next to you, and yet it somehow worked without the cars touching. You wouldn't want to be a timid driver there, they just ignore you and you sit there in the traffic until the cows come home.

What annoys me most is people that somehow see a stop sign at every roundabout, especially if there is a clear view to both sides and little traffic. Roundabouts are supposed to speed up traffic flow and if one can get on without hindering traffic on the roundabout in any way then its much safer to do that than stop and then trying to accelerate on it when there is not a big enough break in the roundabout traffic.
It has always been my understanding that one has to give way to traffic actually ON the roundabout and not necessarily to traffic approaching it from the right if one can get on before them. Exceptions are the very small roundabouts which are best treated like any other intersection.
Klaus
FollowupID: 416176

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:13

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:13
Yep the "arc de triumph" (sp) roundabout in paris is a funny one. We amused ourself for a long time watching it from above. I think in france you have to give way to people entering the roundabout which causes the congestion hassles. Very often, when we looked from above, cars were actually facing eachother. BUt it all seemed to work. Kind of.

R
FollowupID: 416346

Reply By: Rocky_QLD - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 21:03

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 21:03
Here in QLD the saying is "when in doubt put in a round-a-bout" when that doesn't work add traffic lights.
AnswerID: 161399

Reply By: agsmky - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:11

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:11
It's always nice watching a semi-trailer turn right on a dual lane roundabout AND run over the vehicle who decides to overtake on the inside :-)

Least we don't have these types of roundabouts ==>

andrew
AnswerID: 161434

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:25

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:25
Aaaaahhhh ! I'd need a Stop, Revive, Survive in the middle of that lot :)))

It's gotta be in the UK ????
FollowupID: 416173

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:50

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:50
What the! The markings make it scary.
AnswerID: 161460

Reply By: Ray Bates - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:11

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:11
Hi Klaus,
no I have not driven in Paris but you get what I mean
AnswerID: 161461

Sponsored Links