portable toilets

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 10:07
ThreadID: 3193 Views:4390 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am seeking recommendations from people who use these Porta Poti type units. Many places in Vic now require these type of units (no pit toilets allowed).
It will be primarily for two adults and two kids (one Bloke and three women), however I expect we will need to accommodate extra people (one extra car load) on most camps away.
As most of these camps where this type of toilet is required are on the Murray River, 2 - 3 nights away would be max.

Thanks,
Thommo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:27

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:27
Hi Thommo
We have been using a Porta Potti for 20 years with the Caravan and camping trailer. We found it was much easier for the children to use at night. No problem lasting a long weekend. For the blokes the nearest tree can be a solution, but depending on how much the ladies are attuned to bush trips I found it was worth taking. Easy to clean and maintain. Same unit for over 20 yrs and no repairs yet
Ray
AnswerID: 12336

Reply By: trikidiki - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 17:28

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 17:28
Thommo, I've been using a Porta Potti on camping trips and caravan trips for about 2 years now, one of the best investments I've ever made.

Dick.
AnswerID: 12348

Follow Up By: Thommo - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:54

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:54
Dick,
What size is the unit you use?
Thanks,
Thommo
FollowupID: 7180

Follow Up By: Trikidiki - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 15:42

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 15:42
Thommo,
Our's is a model 365, I think it's the biggest one you can buy.
Never had any problems with smell or emptying it, use the right chemicals and buy your toilet paper from a caravan shop, it's dear but it dissolves completely in about 3 days.

Hope this helps Dick.
FollowupID: 7191

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 20:11

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 20:11
We used ours for the first time on the Murray last xmas. We bought one of those pop up tent things to house it. went well. Just one thing though we have a toilet with a quite small tank (about 150 mm high) and we had to empty it about every three days. Two guys two girls. Guys generally used trees for standings. Its also a bit messy emptying them, make sure there's plenty of bog roll to clean up spills. other people in the toilet block don't appreciate the smell either, so you have to hide for a while!!!!!!
AnswerID: 12359

Follow Up By: Thommo - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:58

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:58
Andrew,
Can you confirm the size of your portable toilet, from your measurements; I assume it is the smallest available.
Thanks,
Thommo
FollowupID: 7181

Follow Up By: Member - Andrewpatrol - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 17:54

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 17:54
Yeh Thommo,
Its a Vagabond 221, About 300x300x300 mm. Fits in a small space but takes no time to fill.
FollowupID: 7199

Reply By: bruce - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 09:51

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 09:51
If it is of any use to you Thommo and others ..here is a cheap to maketoilet addative...or chemicals...1 cup of borax..dissolved , 1 cup of pinoclean , 1 cup of cloudy ammonia , mix alltogether in 5l of water.. works real well and should last for ages and a lot cheaper than the ones that you can buy in the shops...cheers
AnswerID: 12387

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:50

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:50
Hi Thommo,

We have a Coleman porta-loo which is fantastic. So convenient I wonder now why we didn't get one sooner. Anyway, when shopping for one we found them all to be of similar style, quality etc. Deciding factor for us was finding one that was low enough to fit into the storage area of our campertrailer as we did not want to carry it in the car. Coleman one is about 12" high. Downside is smaller tank...

The chemical additive virtually eliminates any smell, but be aware that there is some dispute over waste disposal depending on the chemical you use. Basically there are 2 types - blue or green. Blue should only be disposed of in proper sewage systems. Green is supposed to be environmentally friendly and OK for disposal in septic systems. However, we have heard of some CVP's who will not allow even green to be disposed of in their septic system, claiming that is kills the natural bacteria present in the septic that are needed to break down the waste.

Following this, I made inquiries with the manufacturer of the chemical we use (can't recall the name off-hand but will post a follow-up later) as we have a septic at home. He posted out some techinical info and explained that the chemical, if used in the correct quantity, was "exhausted" and effectively made inactive by chemical process taking place in the waste tank.

Hope this helps.

:o) Melissa

PS: Might give the home-maid formula mentioned above a try.
AnswerID: 12423

Follow Up By: Thommo - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 14:56

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 14:56
Hi Melissa,
Thanks for comments and I will wait with interest for your follow up.
It seems that all brands work well, it just depends on the size that meets your requirements.
Thanks,
Thommo
FollowupID: 7240

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:50

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:50
Hi Thommo,

Company was Peter G's here in WA. Not sure if you can get their product interstate though.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 7671

Sponsored Links