Cullyamurra Waterhole

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:08
ThreadID: 31980 Views:2480 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
This is an followon from Post ID 31946. Thought I'd put it in a separate question. We will probably camp at Cullyamurra Waterhole for 3 days in early May. Two questions:
1. Should we be safe to leave the CT set up here while we head off on day trips? I know there are no guarantees in life, but any views from people who know the place?

2. I'll try a bit of fishing in the waterhole. Any suggestions on bait or lures? I've got a reasonable collection of plastics and hard bodied lures that I normally use for Bass, Jacks, Flathead and the like. No idea how they will go out there. If I use bait, I normally catch my own locally, but again, I have no idea what to expect in this area.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:16

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:16
The only fish that Iv'e ever caught there have been Bony Bream, and now not sure of the bait, but is was something that was in the pantry at the time.
AnswerID: 161899

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:22

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:22
Locals say the best bait is yabbies but you need to bring them in - few there - you will get some shrimps at night - worms would be a good idea too - be prepared to catch a few tortoises - there can be lots of them there (particularly up by the choke) and they swallow the hooks ! I have always found the yellowbelly reluctant at Cully (but I'm no great fisher) - can be better in shallower water - have seen a beauty caught just in front of the pub - 1m of water ! Silver perch are often on the bite but fully protected.... they swallow hooks too. The water will most likely be very, very murky - lures very hard to see. Don't rule out a try downstream around Policemans and Ski beaches - they are big waterholes and can hold a lot of fish. BOL.
AnswerID: 161903

Reply By: DavidT - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 13:03

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 13:03
Hi Norm

We left our Ct's there and went to the dig tree four the day and also left it there while we went into town make sure you go to the pub for the bbq night or the roast night a greay feed plus if you have kids buy some marshmellows from them to cook on the fire they will give the kids little pokers to roast them with. we felt very safe at cully great spot

regards
Dave T
AnswerID: 161908

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 13:42

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 13:42
Norm,
Spent 4 days at Cully in 2004 and left the Ct set up a few times for day trips without problems. We were right down at the town end (South West) of the waterhole and got one feed of yabbies but no fish. Cullyamurra is a woderfull spot and is well worth getting up to get a few shots of sunrise over the water.
Enjoj yourself.
Vince
AnswerID: 161917

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 13:59

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 13:59
Norm, just went back and checked your trip ideas so I'd know which way you'd be travelling. If you are interested in catching fish - yellow belly in particular, then I suggest you get some fresh bait. Remember the water is muddy so lures may not be a good option (they don't work for me here anyhow!) - we like to use live yabbies. Can tell you for sure - no yabbies in Birdsville and probably not in the Cooper, but Noccundra is a possibility. Haven't heard of any catches in the Cooper (Innamincka) yet but can tell you that since we got water in the Diamantina three weeks ago we've been getting good Diamantina Barra here - mostly on frozen yabbies and cooked prawns (left over from Christmas!). Good catch last night at the "secret" fish hole in town - one good one and seven got away. Yabbies keep really well in a foam vegetable container!
AnswerID: 161922

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:37

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:37
Thanks for that Ruth.
What's your secret for catching Yabbies? As a kid, I did the bit of meat on a piece of string and slowly retreive. But there must be a better way. I'll do a morning tea or lunc stop at Noccundra and check it out.
Never caught a Yellow Belly, but I'll give it a good try when I get the chance.

Perhaps some of the cyclonic rains might keep the water flowing until we get there.
Can't wait to get going. See you soon.
FollowupID: 416567

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:23

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:23
Hey Ruth, I have to bite. What's a Diamantina Barra. I know a lot of stocked barra from dams have escaped into inland river systems, but I suspect that's not the case out your way. Don't tell me it is the prized Eel tailed cat fish (also know as a Jewie when cought in the Burdekin and perhaps elsewhere up north).
Ate plenty as a kid. They are pretty good once you get used to the muddy taste.
FollowupID: 416583

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:30

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:30
Norm, lots of people go 'Ooooh yuk, not yellow belly - they taste muddy' so Ian re-named them Diamantina Barra. The yellow belly here is not muddy tasting becaue the water is all sand filtered and usually moving.
I caught one of those flat-tailed thingies two weeks ago - first time I've ever seen one, about 10 inches long. Didn't keep it and didn't eat it either!
FollowupID: 416605

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:19

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:19
Norm, we use a chunk of meat or shank wired inside an opera house cage and chuck it in the creek/river/waterhole - always remembering to hang onto the piece of rope on the end of the net!!! Not funny, Jan! (when you chuck the net and no-ones holding on the end)
AnswerID: 161935

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:46

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:46
Oh common Ruth I can't see you doing that - throwing the lot in the drink that is! I guess these hubbies are good for something after all, how did he like the swim?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 416576

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:27

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:27
You're right, Beatit, I didn't do it - Ian did and no, it was very cold and he didn't enjoy his swim at all! Ha ha.
FollowupID: 416604

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 20:04

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 20:04
Not funny Jan

Hahahaha

FollowupID: 416676

Reply By: Fusion - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:28

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:28
G'day Norm,

I can't help with the fishing or security, but I did shoot a couple of FullScreen virtual tours while there in August.

You can check them out here:

Cullyamurra Waterhole Virtual Tours

Thanks,

Aaron.
AnswerID: 161949

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:52

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:52
Sensational Aaron. I saw these a couple of months ago when you posted a link to them. Good to see tham again though now that we have planned the trip. Except for Tibooburra (which we have deleted due to time constraints), we will be going through all the places on your link.
FollowupID: 416594

Reply By: scottp - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:06

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:06
A followon post!

You are tormenting me!

When I was a kid we used to get an old bucket and drill a lot of small quarter inch holes in the sides and two small holes in the bottom,(just big enough to put a peice of string through). Then drill or carve a hole through a cake of soap and tie it to the bottom of the bucket using the two holes in the bottom of the bucket. Tie a rope to the handle of the buicket. Throw it into the water making sure that the bucket came to lie on it's side wait 20 minuets and drag the bucket in as fast as you can, and walah!!!! yabbies in the bucket. They love soap!

Still jelaous!!!

Scott
AnswerID: 161997

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:58

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:58
Norm,

In May, you should still be good for Callop (Yellow Belly) in the Waterhole.

Shrimp, or Yabbies are the best bait, but I save the Yabbies for eating. They can be trapped with an Opera house net (Yabbies) or a shrimp net, for the little transparent bugger and baited with a fish head, (you gotta catch one first) red meat, a can of tuna with a few small holes punched into it, or dry dog food.

One problem with fishing from the bank is the proliferation of turtles in the waterhole that can take the baited hook before the fish do. Mind you, the turtle's "high season" is August/September so you may be OK.

The method recommended to me, (I have a tinnie though) is to drift with the wind and jiggle the baited hook up and down, using a light sinker.

Don't know of any problems leaving your campsite unattended during the day. We certainly didn't experience any.

I tried a bit of trolling with lures without any success.

One thing I will NOT divulge is our secret Yabbie hole. We caught the biggest Yabbie I have ever seen in Cullyamurra. Must have been close to the size of a Marron and also several more smaller, but still good sized ones.

Have a great trip Norm. This area is one of my very favorite places.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162102

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:47

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:47
Come on Sand Man, I won't tell anyone your favourite Yabbbie hole, just whisper it!!!!
Thanks for the tips. Can't wait.

FollowupID: 416792

Reply By: Richard - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:57

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:57
Caught a couple of silver perch a few years ago in Cullyamarra WH off the bank using prawns as bait. We preserved the prawns in salt before the trip and kept them in a bottle. Only got one yabbie but it was a decent size.
Can't help with security.
AnswerID: 162128

Sponsored Links