Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:02
ThreadID: 3212 Views:1769 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to the Flinders Ranges for the first time at Easter
Any sugestions would be good on places to visit and camping spots
Will it be packed with tourists.I want to try and aviod as much of this as possible

Thanks

Nico
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PeteG - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 13:18

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 13:18
Nico,
You did not say what way you are coming from.
Wilpena Pound is very popular and thus you would want to avoid this or go after the rush. As long as you dont mind bumping into the odd person after that then rest of the area should not be too bad.

Basically there are 2 ways in:
1) From Hawker to Leigh Creek/Copley (this is bitumen as far as Lyndhurst now. This will let you turn off and go any way you want.
2) From Broken Hill - Adelaide turn off at Yunta on the Arkaroola Road. This is formed gravel and can get badly corrugated in places. You will have to drive to suit the conditions. Last July it took us a good solid 5hrs to do this 300km.

My suggestion would be to head to the Northern parts eg Blinman, Parachilna and Arkaroola as these should be a bit quieter. If you have a passion for a good old fashioned Bakery there is a good one at Copley.

Main towns for supplies are Hawker or Leigh Creek - fresh bread & fruit is subject to delivery truck schedules in Leigh Creek and you will need to be there at the right time.

Arkaroola is a privately owned resort has a "van" park which has reasonable facilities. They have fuel/shop/mechanical and sell cold ales. They have a number of 4WD tracks on the property.
Website is www.arkaroola.on.net. Also have a look at www.atn.com.au/sa/south/parks-h.htm as well as on this site(ExplorOz)

Regards

Pete G
AnswerID: 12424

Follow Up By: Nico - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 13:46

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 13:46
PeteG
Thanks for the info
I will have a look at the pound ......
I have heard theris a nice walk to the top of it (ST Mary peak i think)
I am coming from Melbourne
Will spend a night at Mildura and then drive to the ranges
this is the plan,
I would also like to come home through Broken Hill and come down past Mungo as it is a place that interests me

nico
FollowupID: 7237

Follow Up By: Peteg - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 14:21

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 14:21
Nico,
Wilpena has about 2million visitors per year.Being closer to Adelaide with the small gap between Easter & Anzac I think it may be pretty popular this year.

The walk up onto the rim of the pound is a must. (I last saw this about 30yrs ago - just have never been back since - was pretty popular then)
It may be worth considering a plane ride to see it all from above!!!.

Suggest you consider Mildura-Morgan-Peterborough & then to Hawker via Craddock (little bit of dirt on this leg). You could sample the vino in the Riverland & Clare valley this way. Look at the map as there are a few options around Clare.

On way back either backtrack to Hawker then Peterborough or Copley/Arkaroola/Yunta (about 400km dirt). See this site for suitable maps - the Hema on for the Flinders is recommended.

Regards

Pete G

FollowupID: 7239

Reply By: Thommo - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 15:05

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 15:05
Hi nico,
PeterG was spot on. We spent 3 days at Arkaroola and two days at Wilpena. Not enough time, I do suggest the Arkaroola area for interest and 4Wdriving. Must see Chambers Gorge and do Skytrek (Willow Springs). There is plenty to see and lots of driving, and with only three days, we only saw a small part of what is on offer. I hope it rains before you go, it was very dry last Sept. Have a look at the trek notes, they are very helpfull.
Thommo.
AnswerID: 12427

Reply By: Member - Mike - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 19:05

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 19:05
Nico, I live close by!
Agree with comments so far. One correction Orroroo, Carrieton, Cradock, Hawker road now totaly sealed. Sealed to Wilpena. Would recommendRawnsley Park (15kms S of Wilpena) as place to be based. Top Tourist park, and full range of facilities down to bush camping.
Including Skytrek there are 6 4WD day pay as you go treks, all vg.
Coming from Victoria, Wilpena Visitor Info centre will have all details.
Flinders NP has a vg bush camps of 4WD and 2WD (kept apart!). Good ones are to E of Brachina Gorge, Aroona, and in vicinity of Bunyeroo Gorge. Outside Park at N end of central region Parachilna Gorge, or CP at Angorichina.
In Gammon ranges main camping is at Arkaroola which is vg. Nearby is Chambers Gorge.
Finally! SA has system of Public Access Routes (Par's). Two very good ones off Glass' Gorge.
Any further info please get back. I hope this not too much info. A good choice,
regards
Mike
AnswerID: 12431

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 19:08

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 19:08
I forgot to asy that coming in via Mildura, renmark - stay north ofriver to Morgan, thence Burra, and Peterborough. Buraa VIC can provide some info to whet your appetite!
Mike
PS I am in the industry!!
FollowupID: 7248

Reply By: Stevo - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 13:34

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 13:34
Nico
you don't mention how many days you will be in the Flinders.
Trust me, "every man and his dog" will be at the popular tourist spots at Easter eg.Rawnsley's, Wilpena, Brachina, Aroona....
If you want to get away from the multitude try a couple of the PAR's Nico mentioned ie through Hanagans Gap on Moolooloo Station and across Waraweena Station to Sliding Rock and Beltana. Could rush the trip in a day or take a leisurely 3 days. Not hard going, no 4 wd'ing but good clearance needed. If interested I can give you contact details of the lessees, what maps needed etc. and if you are adventurous - other trips in the area where you can "get away from it all".
AnswerID: 12476

Follow Up By: Nico - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:12

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:12
Stevo
It would be good if you could post some more of the info that you mention
I will be spending from good friday til the next satuday 9 days in all
It would be good to get some maps of the area
I am as adventurous as my Rodeo will let me be............

Thanks

Nico
FollowupID: 7403

Reply By: Stevo - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:34

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:34
Gooday Nico
If you give me a bus. and a/h phone no. we can start the ball rolling.
AnswerID: 12656

Follow Up By: Nico - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 14:33

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 14:33
Stevo
the best number to contact me on is 0403321883
Then if it is better I can call you back
I work between 2 desks

nico
FollowupID: 7462

Sponsored Links